Rear diff noisy.

joe6886

Reaction score
Anyone elses rear diff quite noisy? Mine has started to whine quite a bit, mainly when coasting or when you ease off the accelerator.

Anyone else had this problem? Likely diagnosis?

Thanks
Joe.

hav you had the haldex serviced recently? 20k oil change and 40k filter change i believe

Yep did it myself not long ago. The casing is all bone dry so its not dumped all the oil.

dunno then fella....i gather you did use the Audi haldex oil...other than that im out

Yep, genuine Audi oil and filter. Thanks anyway.

what about the actual diff oil? has that been changed?

I get bored of typing this, but the haldex has it's own oil and filter, and the diff has it's own oil.....

Are you sure it's the diff? What's the noise like? I only ask as I'm sure i've read topics where people's choice of tyre has caused a wiirrrhhing(sp?) / monaing noise from the rear at certain speeds and on coastdown.

Yeah its defo the rear diff. The tyres are fine, they are being changed on the weekend so if it is them the problem should be eliminated if it is them. Its just like a whining noise as you ease off the gas.

I know the Haldex is a seperate system, so yeah i'll look into changing the diff oil next. Was just wondering if its a common thing or if anyone has had to replace anything like the diff before.

Hi there, did you get this sorted? I have a similar problem on my A3 Quattro Sport, have changed the Haldex oil and filter but the problem remains. As you say it fine under load/accelerating but whines when slowing down or cruising.

Thanks

Mine does this and it's strating to concern me a bit.

Also, I came out of work today and reversed on pretty much full lock and an awful screeching noise came from the back of the car. I stopped and so did the noise. I then set off forward and the car felt normal, so I pulled into a petrol station and tried to recreate the noise when reversing but couldn't. Do you think this is related?

I get the feeling i'm in for a big bill...

hi i just noticed my rear diff sounds like its whining all of a sudden when decelaerating. But from what could be a coincidence is that it started whining after i had new tyres fitted, but i only got the two front tyres changed so surely this couldnt cause a whining noise at the back of the car could it???

ill add my name to this list as mine has started doing it the past few days got it booket in to get checket tmz but i think im gonna be in for a big bill aswell realy would help if some ones worket this out lol

As an update, my 'groaning' turned out to be a duff NS rear tyre. I got a local garage to change the tyre and the noise disappeared. I've also had full four wheel alignment since just to ensure there was nothing amiss with the geometry.

I know that the rear diff is very sensitive to different tyre depths. If you have more than 3mm difference between the front and rear tyres, or even opposite tyres then this can upset the diff. Generally though all 4 tyres seem to wear quite evenly on s3's, I always replace all 4 tyres though.

iv changed oil in my fount box and rear diff both didnt have any form of metal in them at all next on the list is the tyre's and if it still carrys on i guess im looking at repacing the diff or gearbox hard to find rear diffs thow =[

Try finding a rear diff here in aus :( no one has any idea what they are talking about, and with only 390 odd S3's over here it makes things a little bit difficult. I had to replace mine a few months back as mine let go in a big way. I want to upgrade to a peloquins lsd in the rear now tho!

I'm getting my rear diff oil changed in my next service as i've done 113,000 miles. Unfortunately for you lot my rear diff isn't making a noise so I cant tell you if an oil change will fix it! Though if my diff does start to make noises after the oild change we'll know that an oil change wont fix it.

oil changed didnt fix it for me front or rear but that dosnt mean that i wouldnt fix other peoples, there was no metal in my oil when i changed it so im thinking it might be one of these things you have to live with not too sure yet wurrying sound thow :crying: