Rear dash cam fitting / wiring ??

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi :sm4:,

Has anyone fitted a rear dash cam to their B8 Avant / Allroad ??

I'm after some advice as to how to get the wiring from the the inner rear window, through the boot trim, through the boot to main body hinge plastic trim and on to a fuse in the boot. Is their enough room for some extra wires in the hinge trim, which fuse could I use as a switched live in the boot ??

It'll be a Nextbase hard wire kit.

Cheers,
Graeme.

There is room for extra wires. I did this recently for my rear view camera. Just make sure your wires are secured to the existing loom as it passes through the hinge and they don’t get trapped when the tailgate closes. A little bit fiddly to get in there.

To gain access there is a trim panel in the centre of the rear roof trim, this just slides out when you have pulled back the rubber trim holding the edge. Also take off the D pillar trim, this is held in place by the trim under the side window, you can get away with just pulling the top clips off so you can remove the D pillar trim. You may also need to take off the main tailgate trim and the trim around the window so you can access the trim covering the hinge wires. Depends on where you want your wire.

Hope this helps

Can’t help with switched live as I didn’t need one. Control modules are usually wired to a permanent live and switched on and off with CAN signals. Have a poke around with a test meter.

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply :sm4:.

I've been at it over the last couple of days through trial and error. What a pain in the @ss !! :blue:

I got the o/s powered tailgate hinge plastic trim off, saw where the wiring loom ran, took the rear roof trim off to expose the motor assembly, saw how the wires ran and how opening and closing the boot affected the movement of the wiring loom, removed the three cable ties holding the wiring loom in place, undid the cloth tape holding the wires together, added my dash cam wires, replaced the cloth trim and cable tied it back in place, added some more protection to the wiring so no chaffing could take place whenever the wiring moves when opening and shutting the boot, routed the wiring down to the fuses behind the o/s boot storage panel, then I took the tailgate trim off (sounds easy, but really hard when you've never done it before), slightly moved the tailgate side trim off to route the wires to the dash cam, then put everything back together again. Then it was time to find a switched live on the fuses behind the rear storage panel. Guess what........no switched live !! :blue:. So I had to find a switched live in the front and run the wire to the back.

I took loads of pics, so I'm going to do a "how to" to hopefully help anyone who wants to do it themself. My advice.......don't !!

Cheers,
Graeme.