1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear clunking noises on RS3 with coilovers

silverpiston Aug 29, 2019

1. silverpiston

silverpiston New Member

Good evening,

If someone has lowered his RS3 or installed coil-overs, I wish to ask if they have clunking noises in the back when hitting medium bumps, pottholes ? When going through sharp turns it does a screeching metal noise in the boot when drving on small bumps, or like a vibrating coil. It comes from the rear - inside of the steering curve. On big bumps it does a clunking noise on both side. Part from this - all is OK - not a single noise on highway etc...

I've got a second hand RS3 with KW coil-overs so I didn't install myself.

The plastic protections has been removed also, it's not the 8P rattling issue.

The car is not heavily lowered, there is no damage or rubbing of metal parts on the chassis I've double checked. The wheel arches are not damaged. I've changed the ARB bushings as a precaution also. The rear springs are under compression when the car is lifted.

I really don't understand please help. Is is the rear coils rotating ? Where to investigate ?

Thanks !

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Active Member

Can't assist on a lowered RS3 but ................

[​IMG]

Terry

silverpiston likes this.
  4. 45bvtc

45bvtc Well-Known Member Supporter SQ5 owners group Team Cornflower Blue Gold Supporter Team Sahara Silver Team Sepang Audi TT Audi RS3

BLUEY has KW Variant 3 shock absorbers and springs but mine are not coil-overs on the rear.

Front and rear like so:

KW on the Front RS3.JPG KW on the Rear RS3.JPG

And totally quiet... :racer:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    silverpiston likes this.
  5. silverpiston

silverpiston New Member

Hello,

Thank you very much for your responses ! Good to know that there is some support here.

I think it's best to have a mechanic have a look, never dealt with coil overs...

45bvtc likes this.
  6. fernando young

fernando young Active Member Team Daytona Audi RS3

i think theres a rear subframe deadset from tyrolsport to remove the shifting on the subframe, creating noises

silverpiston likes this.
  7. silverpiston

silverpiston New Member

Thank you very much ! It is a great advice.

fernando young likes this.