1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. ballcrusher1

ballcrusher1 Registered User

Tried fitting new rear pads into my s3 8p 2008 and wound both calipers all the way in till they stopped and the calipers won't go over the new pads...anyone had this issue before

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

If everything is original and you're happy the piston is fully retracted, the pads (standard width) and 22mm disc should fit comfortably. In the left picture the top pad looks to be dislodged a few mm away from the disc - sometimes they need to be pushed against the disc (and held in that position) to be able to slide the caliper over and into position.

4. prt57

prt57 Registered User

Are you sure you have the correct pads?
    Looking at the photos, I am not sure the pistons are fully retracted. Did you release the pressure by loosening the master cylinder cap.
    I have replaced rear discs and pads on a TTS which is the same as the S3 with no probs.
    Recently did a Skoda Fabia rear and the piston did seem to bottom early but with extra effort the piston went further. Recently done aTT fwd and a Golf Mk 4 with no problems.

5. den911

den911 Registered User

I would agree with the above piston looks like it needs to back a tad more,been there and it just takes that extra few mill ...I strugled with the standard bar on the retracting tool i mamaged to get a socket on mine and used a ratchet to get a good lever on it to push it back fully ..

6. ballcrusher1

ballcrusher1 Registered User

ive put pads in correctly and wound wound the piston back fully but still wont go over the pads even took caliper off and tried it that way and still wont go over even had a spare caliper and wont go over so going to checj the pads with ones from main dealer and see if any difference in the pads

7. ahtcap

ahtcap Registered User

Have you seen this video? It gives you an insight to how far the piston goes back.

8. 45bvtc

45bvtc The Older I Get The Better I Was Supporter Gold Supporter

Yes, it does in my experience take a little time for the hydraulic fluid to evacuate the caliper.

I suggest you allow 1-minute after you 'think' you've the piston fully wound back in and re-wind and then, to be sure, after you 'think' you've the piston fully wound back in, allow another 1-minute and again re-wind. In my experience I've found the piston will re-wind a tad further each time allowing sufficient clearance for the new brake pads. It is not a brake pad issue, just a little patience - take yer time...