Rear Brakes help on A4

Lambo

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just registered onto the forum as i am having a problem on my brothers A4 however i think i may hang around as looks like a nice and helpful place.......

The problem i'm having is trying to get the rear piston back into the caliper but it doesn't seem to move. I know its a turn piston but does anyone know which way i need to turn it to force it back in? Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise? Does anyone have suggestions as to anything else i can try?

Cheers

Craig

Hi,

From one newbie to this forum to another, you can get piston pusher tools, which screw the pistons back into the calipers, very handy things...

think they screw in clockwise from what I can remember.
Hope this helps.

Hi,

Yeah i've got a tool for screwing it back in but i have put a huge amount of force on it and i still can't get the piston to move back in at all so wondered if it perhaps went the opposite way from what i was doing........

Oh well i guess i'll just have to try harder but hate putting that much force on it :rolleyes:

No, it doesn't need that much force, I did the rears on my A3 a couple of weeks ago and came across exactly the problem you have, eventually, using the tool, the piston does just screw in, the way the tool goes, really easily. not force pushing the pistons into the caliper is needed.

Let me know how it goes. and i'll see if i can find out more.:)

I'm pretty sure its a seized piston so i'll have another go and maybe try the other side and see what its like but might have to go hunting for another caliper.......

I know its a silly answer, but you have remembered to undo the brake fluid reservoir cap . . . . And dont forget as you push the piston back in, the reservoir will fill up so dont let it overflow . . . I know but believe me, you do get some who forget to do this . . . .

Hope this helps.

hi i am new too
you do not need a special tool as it can be done with a "g" clamp and a pair of mole grips
cheers bod