1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear brake sticking caliper

Den Quattro Apr 12, 2018

1. Den Quattro

Den Quattro New Member

Hi All,

I have a rear left brake caliper that’s sticking badly. Car is 2006 A6 2.7Tdi Quattro (Saloon) 300,000 km.

I brought the car to a mechanic 2 wks ago and asked him to take an overall look at the car to see what was required. He replaced a few control arms on the front suspension, and put new rear discs and pads on also. I drove it home (60miles) and it seemed to be ok. I only noticed the following day a smoky smell coming from the rear left. The wheel is very hot to touch after driving a few miles, so I really need to get this sorted.

I took the caliper off the carrier yesterday - just for a visual inspection - and thought it would be very hard to remove but it came away easily. I lifted the boot off the piston just slightly to get a look at the surface of the piston, and it looked very clean! It may be that there is a bit of grit gone in there and is lodged on the piston….

I have a new cable coming from Gendan today so I will be able to put the motor into service mode and push the piston back a few times to see if this might clear it? There is a good bit of info online on this type of problem but I just wondered if ppl on here had any particular advice, especially on removing the piston and refitting the whole thing and bleed afterwards etc..

Crasher on the other forum said a torn boot was very common on these cars, but mine is ok (as far as I can see at the moment anyway, it could be torn back inside the caliper?). Obviously I don’t want to drive the car back to the mechanic in the current condition as Im afraid of doing damage after 60 miles of stuck brake!

Many thanks for any help.
    Denis

2. QuattroCalum

QuattroCalum Well-Known Member Team Avus Silver saloon Audi A4 quattro Manual

You can get a rebuild kit from big redd on eBay for less than £20, that includes a new piston and rubber boot for it and the two slider pin boots as well.
    It does include seals for the handbrake mechanism but I'd leave that alone unless it's leaking.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

3. Den Quattro

Den Quattro New Member

QuattroCalum,

Thanks for that I will order the bits from big red.

Has anyone else got any tips/experience on this?
    Thanks

4. All-rod

All-rod Member Bronze Supporter

You will need to disassemble it, once piston comes out you will see if there are any signs of corrosion inside the bore. Over time they tend to corrode inside and seize until stop moving, perhaps that's what happened to yours. If that's the case do other side as well.

5. Den Quattro

Den Quattro New Member

Hi All-rod,

Thanks for that, yes I have removed the piston and it is scored but not as bad as I thought it would be. I found good info in the following thread and the pics of piston from Dan2485 are very close to mine. I have ordered 2 kits from BiggRed so am looking forward to getting rebuilds done and car back on the road - hopefully!

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...-Audi-A6-2008-one-pad-wearing-quickly-at-rear

Cheers
    Den

QuattroCalum likes this.