1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rear Brake Pad Wear, are they used by Cruise Control and ESC?

JohnnieWalker Aug 21, 2020

1. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Registered User

Hi all, just had a successful MOT ( yay! ) but an advisory of rear pads worn.

I have read that as my car has an electronic handbrake it's a bit of a pain to change the pads, I do have OBDeleven, which apparently can help with the parking brake?

Also, I have just read that some cars use the rear pads to limit speed when using cruise control, and also to assist with the electronic stability control of the car?

Is this true?

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. CupraDine

CupraDine Registered User

I changed the pads and discs on my A6 over a year ago and it's a bit of a pain but okay. There is a good guide, will see if I can find it, that helps with the parking brake and gives the correct sizes for tools. I would also recommend setting the torque correctly.

You need a VW diagnostic device to put the parking brake in the correct state. OBDeleven will do it, just make sure you have plenty of credits as it will charge you to both retract before the pad change and compress after you are done.

Whatever you do, don't just compress the piston manually, if you damage the gear it's a new caliper. Once the brake has been retracted, you can open the brake reservoir and push it. If yours is the 3.0 TDI, it has wider discs that the other models I believe, which allows you to remove the disc without removing the caliper carrier.

I don't know about its use for the cruise control, when the cruise control brakes for you it probably will use the rears as well as the fronts. However the ESC will use it, if you trigger it with your driving style.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JohnnieWalker likes this.