Rear brake pad replacement EPB

craig20102010

Reaction score
IV seen there are a few videos on line about being able to replace the rear pads on a A6 with EPB without using vagcom.

You bassically take the motor off the back of the piston and wind it back your self. Looking at the motor it's only got two pins so it must know that the parking brake is applied using a voltage increase on the motor a bit like the electric windows rather then a position sensor.

What I would like to know is when you've wound it back your self and replaced the pads and now your parking brake has been disengaged what will the car do when you turn it back on and it's expecting the hand brake to be on?

Will it through up an error or will it continue to cycle the motor untill it hits the voltage increase signifying that the motor has pressed the piston against the discs?

I'm a bit reluctant to spend £240 to have the rear discs and pads replaced just because of the electronic handbrake. It's such an easy job so I'd like to save a bit of cash and do it my self.

Thanks Craig.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Buy a carista - cheap enough, saves messing around! Other option is to apply voltage to the motor to rewind - but not recommended.
The piston is a push type, not screw (once the motor is released).

Reactions: ross27
Carista? I've no idea what that is. I'll look it up?

So what happens if you wind it back manually and then apply the motor back on?

Carista is the best option as above. Done my rears a couple months ago using it. It initially winds back the piston, and when you have completed, it re-engages it for you too.

Reactions: craig20102010
Carista is a dongle which you plug into the OBD2 port (same as VCDS) which then connects to your phone via an app. Allows you to check faults/release brake etc. Amazon £16 at the moment. I haven't used it personally as I have VCDS, but a lot do on here, well rated.

If you manually wind back the motor, once you have completed the job you should be able to cycle the parking brake a few times which will reset the brake. Although for £16 I wouldn't fart around manually winding motors and possibly damage a £300 component.

Reactions: craig20102010
What year does this work from? Mines a 2012 I don't want to plug something in that is likely to damage my ECUs.

What year does this work from? Mines a 2012 I don't want to plug something in that is likely to damage my ECUs.

It will not do any harm. The app only gives you options to change/edit parameters that are applicable to your car.

If you plug it in and you dont see the service option to winf back brake pads, then it won't be available on your car.

I think it will be absolutely fine on your 2012 model. You cant really go wrong with it.

It will not do any harm. The app only gives you options to change/edit parameters that are applicable to your car.

If you plug it in and you dont see the service option to winf back brake pads, then it won't be available on your car.

I think it will be absolutely fine on your 2012 model. You cant really go wrong with it.
Well it'll be a massive waste of money if it doesn't work for the hand brake lol.

For £16 though it's not bad. I noticed you have to pay £9.99 for a week of the advanced service features which includes the EPB.

Go to: https://caristaapp.com/vehicles
It works on the C7 platform, so it's fine.

Use the 1 month free trial - do your brakes and check for faults. £16 plus parts is a cheap brake job!
Aye it is. I've ordered one. Hopefully get it Sunday and I'll get all the parts and hopefully get them all changed in one day.

Done now. Rears were a doddle other then the discs being hard to remove and the fact my brother ordered solid discs rather then vented.

Didn't change the front rotors just the pads. Wasn't much of a lip on them. Used a tool from machine mart that I borrowed for the hand brake.

Whole lot done for £177 using OEM spec parts. Would of been cheaper but I had to go to euro rather then my normal supplier due to them being shut after 12. Gutted.

Good saving though.

Reactions: ross27