Rear brake overheating

Smig

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 TDI. I noticed that my drivers side rear wheel was getting very hot. I replaced the rear discs, pads, and osr caliper.
The same wheel is still getting very hot.
i used vcds to start/stop lining mode (with no issues), wound back the pistons, and manually bled the brakes.
I have good pedal feel, but the brake still appears to be dragging.
Any suggestions?
cheers

Did you test the piston with pedal to see if it pushes out properly & retracts minimally?

It was hard to tell. Because I had brand new discs and brand new pads, there was very little clearance.

If you jack that wheel off the ground, push the brake pedal hard and release it, then try to turn that wheel, is it dragging more than it should? If it is, then does cracking the bleed nipple open fix the issue and get it turning freely again?
If it does then the problem is hydraulic, and upstream of the caliper. If it doesn't then it's caliper-related. If it's not dragging at all, then I've no idea what's going on!

Could be a failing rubber flexie, collapsed inside the rubber line to the rear calliper so holding the pressure in the line to the caliper when you release the brake pedal pressure.

You say the wheel is getting hot, but is the calliper?
It could be the wheel bearing.

Did you cleanup and grease the slides on the caliper carrier that hold the pads. If they are rusty / tight, it can stop the pads releasing properly.

The wheel and discs/caliper were hot. All sliders were cleaned and a bit of copper slip added.
Everything seems ok, so I’ve bit the bullet and bought a new caliper from Audi. I’ll hopefully fit it this weekend, and report back.

New caliper fitted. All resolved. Fuel economy has increased by nearly 20 mpg :)

Reactions: Fatbloke
New caliper fitted. All resolved. Fuel economy has increased by nearly 20 mpg :)
Exactly the same for me.

Apparently it's quite a common A3 8V issue. Just hoping the other side doesn't need replacing any time soon.

Issue was probably a sticky piston in the caliper. You can buy overhaul kits if you're so inclined as they aren't difficult to sort if your DIY skills are above average.

Issue was probably a sticky piston in the caliper. You can buy overhaul kits if you're so inclined as they aren't difficult to sort if your DIY skills are above average.
Have you actually done this on a 8V rear caliper? When you remove the piston, loads of loose ball bearings and springs fall out.

Then you put them back in where they came out:icon thumright:
I've done a few caliper refurbs in my time.
20160330_184120Small.jpg

20200405_191254Small.jpg

Last edited:
Same here on my 8V RS3
1784f8bb0adcaba0249a6880d931f65a.jpg

51a664af062d8022daeb076a0dc3412a.jpg

76d87387322ebf092e21a80400fd1bdb.jpg

ab7ce72924e9c739c3e9ddbc1188d1e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk