Rear brake discs

george forbes

Reaction score
Looking to replace rear discs soon and whilst on Autodoc I see that using the code from my service book 1ky that some of the discs specifically list for vehicles with electronic parking brake and some don't is there a difference ?

METZGER COATED / HIGH CARBON Brake Disc
Rear Axle, Internally Vented, Coated, High-carbon, with lock screw set
Article number: 6110556
(Submit a review)

Product info:
    • Fitting Position:Rear Axle
    • Vehicle Equipment:for vehicles with electric parking brake
    • for PR number:1KY
  • Diameter [mm]:310
  • Brake Disc Type:Internally Vented
  • Centering Diameter [mm]:65
  • Number of Holes:5
  • Brake Disc Thickness [mm]:22
  • Surface:Coated
  • Supplementary Article / Info 2:with lock screw set
  • Product line:COATED / HIGH CARBON
  • Minimum thickness [mm]:20
  • Height [mm]:48,3
  • Machining:High-carbon
  • Item number6110556
  • Our price34,96 £
  • Condition New

I can think of no reason either but my 2nd guess side has to ask the question as if no other manufacturer states it then why do these. By the way I am paranoid

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They are not.
I have just fitted mine with Blueprint brakes front and back and my mechanic just bought a set or normal pads, nothing speacial about them and cost the same as any other brake pads.

Love the blueprints that got fitted, they stop on a dime and a heck of a lot better than the previous OEM set that where on the car and they were very cheap. Pads and Discs were £275.00 fitted for all 4 corners, and they have rust resistant material.

I cant speak for the S3 cars though, but I would assume any rear pads are the same as the S3 is pretty much the same apart from the Quattro and engine and other bits like suspension, but brake pads would be the same apart from sizing which I do not know on the S3

Nothing EPB specific on rear discs other than you will need to release park brake before fitting with some sort of diagnostic tool. I use this for that purpose very cheap....
Ancel Auto scanner

Only difference I can think of for rear discs is some rear discs has a drum inside the hub and the handbrake is operated by a drum/shoe brake and doesn’t use the calipers/pads as handbrakes. my experience with VAG cars is they all use the caliper as a handbrake and not a drum/shoe setup within the disc.

Reactions: pburv
I think a member on here(Tim Wills)? put up a video on the rear disc change on an A3.

Gives you a general idea of the set up.

I think a member on here(Tim Wills)? put up a video on the rear disc change on an A3.

Gives you a general idea of the set up.

but thats old style u can easily do it without some amerikan vcds .. simply jack car release brakes remove unscrew bolts on caliper holders on calipers remove replace discs and pads..

but thats old style u can easily do it without some amerikan vcds .. simply jack car release brakes remove unscrew bolts on caliper holders on calipers remove replace discs and pads..

you will still need to use vcds or similar for the basic settings/learning for the module. The module needs to be told you fitted new pads otherwise it will try and wind the pads too tight against the disc resulting in premature motor wear in the caliper. Calipers depending on cars can be upwards of £400 so not worth risking
Considering a cheap diag tool is like £40-50
Ross tech has pages of the brake stuff showing how it should be done as well. If I remember right you can get the disc out without removing the carrier.

you will still need to use vcds or similar for the basic settings/learning for the module. The module needs to be told you fitted new pads otherwise it will try and wind the pads too tight against the disc resulting in premature motor wear in the caliper. Calipers depending on cars can be upwards of £400 so not worth risking
Considering a cheap diag tool is like £40-50
Ross tech has pages of the brake stuff showing how it should be done as well. If I remember right you can get the disc out without removing the carrier.
That's complete rubbish I haven't used vcds at all and nothing is damaged over year now..
The motor has set force threshold once it detects it cannot go further it will stop.. When brakes are released obviously piston stays on its position, so you only push piston little bit inside when installing new pads because they are thicker. And the motor obviously moves piston further and further because as pads wears they getting thinner and thinner so motor constantly pushes further and further and when breaking keeping threshold force. And disc absolutely cannon be removed without removing calliper holders... I had to remove it as mine are 255 and it was in way..

That's complete rubbish I haven't used vcds at all and nothing is damaged over year now..
The motor has set force threshold once it detects it cannot go further it will stop.. When brakes are released obviously piston stays on its position, so you only push piston little bit inside when installing new pads because they are thicker. And the motor obviously moves piston further and further because as pads wears they getting thinner and thinner so motor constantly pushes further and further and when breaking keeping threshold force. And disc absolutely cannon be removed without removing calliper holders... I had to remove it as mine are 255 and it was in way..

But what AIS3BE has posted is the correct way to do it.

Reactions: Booti, pburv and AlS3BE
And if you go to the trouble of doing the job, don't fit new pads to discs that are "past their best" and only have 80% of the braking surface left..

It isn't... You wanna say at audi they gonna use vcds? Pleeese...
It is not correct way but another way 1x longer.. Both are correct ways..
Actually some VW group techs do use VCDS.

Reactions: 8YARWY and AlS3BE
they are your calipers do what you want but just leaving some friendly advice especially for others that might find this thread and follow it.

There’s 2 part to the basic setting. The winding on applying the handbrake as I mentioned but also how far to retract on release as a worn pad doesn’t need to retract as far, in theory the further the pad is away from the disc the longer it takes to apply even though it’s a fraction of a second. That’s why it applies and releases like 3 times while you run the setting.
Also putting in the service position is different to releasing the handbrake. There’s should be little to no pushing of the pistons when it’s retracted in service position. The mechanisms works on a worm type gear so shouldn’t be pushed with force.
On a performance Car, or any car, you shouldn’t take any chances with brakes, or tyres, as one **** up could be expensive or worse considering a diag tool is cheap as chips. Not sure if Carista can do it but that’s like a tenner on amazon. VAG didn’t design these electronic gubbins for fun there’s a reason for these procedures as your traction control and abs all rely on these things to be correct. anyway my rant is over, have fun.

Reactions: JohnM100, 8YARWY and pburv
Yeah definitely but not for quick discs n pads change..

my mates back street garage uses vcds for discs and pads change. The amount of muck up over the years his customers has brought in trying to DIY their own discs/pads change has probably paid his mortgage :wink:
I would expect dealers have a genuine vag tool, vas?, to do it not aftermarket kit like vcds.

my mates back street garage uses vcds for discs and pads change. The amount of muck up over the years his customers has brought in trying to DIY their own discs/pads change has probably paid his mortgage :wink:
I would expect dealers have a genuine vag tool, vas?, to do it not aftermarket kit like vcds.
Audi, VW, skoda, seat uses odis only where you have to connect to the VW server in order to scan car.. That's official.. Vcds been made in usa because there is no proper support...

Audi, VW, skoda, seat uses odis only where you have to connect to the VW server in order to scan car.. That's official.. Vcds been made in usa because there is no proper support...
there is a reason as to why the correct disc and pad change procedure is the way it is, it’s by design so people (official tech’s or not) don’t F Up the cars they are working on. If anyone manages to do it any other way then congratulations, the risk you took to save some pocket change paid off but not following the correct procedure could cause issues.

VCDS is amazingly well supported if you are a genuine user.

Reactions: Fatbloke, AlS3BE, 8YARWY and 1 other person

You seem to have an issue with 1) Ross-tech 2) the USA 3) using a proper well documented pad change procedure.

Why on earth would you want to use a bodge procedure to change the pads ?

Takes seconds to initiate the lining change mode with the correct software.

I bet you are the sort of home mechanic that hits everything with a hammer until it either fits or is broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE
there is a reason as to why the correct disc and pad change procedure is the way it is, it’s by design so people (official tech’s or not) don’t F Up the cars they are working on. If anyone manages to do it any other way then congratulations, the risk you took to save some pocket change paid off but not following the correct procedure could cause issues.

VCDS is amazingly well supported if you are a genuine user.
That's fine I don't mind vcds but to work with other more important faults or adjustments or changes..

You seem to have an issue with 1) Ross-tech 2) the USA 3) using a proper well documented pad change procedure.

Why on earth would you want to use a bodge procedure to change the pads ?

Takes seconds to initiate the lining change mode with the correct software.

I bet you are the sort of home mechanic that hits everything with a hammer until it either fits or is broke.

You betting wrong I am not mechanic but I have friend mechanic he has garage and many many ppl goes to him as he does job properly and I learned from him lot of things.. And he absolutely don't use vcds but completely different diagnostic hardware with 12'' screen and he just plugs receiver into car and all is done wirelessly. I know it takes seconds to use with vcds but not everyone who wants to do discs and pads at home has vcds.
I watch lots of youtube videos which helped a lot and many ppl does too.. even you :)
So I have changed my discs n pads all round year back and I have no issue
You are not even mechanic so that's why you have no idea.. :D
And you can go betting in betfred ;)
Watch n learn and STOP betting talkers :

Last edited:
That's fine I don't mind vcds but to work with other more important faults or adjustments or changes..
Not really sure what you are on about to be honest, as you are stating the obvious there. First you were banging on about not needing a computer to do your brakes, all good if that’s your thing... may the force be with you... But then you start bashing those who use VCDS for the job, VCDS for being from the USA and having poor support (company is USA based the developer is European btw) even tough it’s an amazingly useful and affordable tool for both enthusiasts and professionals, and the support for genuine users is amazing. What are you trying to say?

Reactions: AlS3BE and 8YARWY
You betting wrong I am not mechanic but I have friend mechanic he has garage and many many ppl goes to him as he does job properly and I learned from him lot of things.. And he absolutely don't use vcds but completely different diagnostic hardware with 12'' screen and he just plugs receiver into car and all is done wirelessly. I know it takes seconds to use with vcds but not everyone who wants to do discs and pads at home has vcds.
I watch lots of youtube videos which helped a lot and many ppl does too.. even you :)

I think it’s time for you to calm down as T-1000 has learnt exactly the same way you have, even more so by investing in the genuine tools to complete the jobs we are talking about.

One thing to note, T-1000 actually works with me :)

You are correct my Friend I’m not a qualified mechanic per say.......

However I’ll never ever tackle a job without
1) Proper tools to do it
2) Read / Research the procedure to do it if I’ve never done the works before.

My works on cars is varied, I don’t need to rely on you tube to show procedures, I just get on with it.

And I don’t bet on anything.......
Jog on.
0d5497810a76c21a48a677f58b13dc7e.jpg

b066d0ad897f545fdf1ef202161cff8d.jpg

e3009ea8fb86ecb113d9903a3c3d99dc.jpg

81be869fa86e0f082f79488d862760c0.jpg

ed5b15fd8105d6fe86e093e814c5a6b3.jpg

2e6007960db99ffeb1109e52a1ae204a.jpg

1063df3c192808fcee79f24dfea9e46b.jpg

Last edited:
Not really sure what you are on about to be honest, as you are stating the obvious there. First you were banging on about not needing a computer to do your brakes, all good if that’s your thing... may the force be with you... But then you start bashing those who use VCDS for the job, VCDS for being from the USA and having poor support (company is USA based the developer is European btw) even tough it’s an amazingly useful and affordable tool for both enthusiasts and professionals, and the support for genuine users is amazing. What are you trying to say?
No you didn't understand and no am not bashing anyone.. in usa there is no VW /audi support like here in EU or uk that you can go to VW store or Audi store. So many ppl in usa living in cities where is no official VW /audi garages and must travel distances to fix car
So vcds was made in usa for local garages. then expanded globally. Not sure if affordable, £230 pounds is a lot. I really don't want to use fake vcds which many ppl here does ...

No you didn't understand and no am not bashing anyone.. in usa there is no VW /audi support like here in EU or uk that you can go to VW store or Audi store. So many ppl in usa living in cities where is no official VW /audi garages and must travel distances to fix car
So vcds was made in usa for local garages. then expanded globally. Not sure if affordable, £230 pounds is a lot. I really don't want to use fake vcds which many ppl here does ...
Simply, no massively not true lol

VCDS was born out of the desire for people, both professionals and individuals, to be able to work on vehicles who cannot access or afford to access OEM tools, just like Autel, snap-on etc was.

Reactions: 8YARWY
£230 is cheap considering if you muck up a caliper is double that and failing brakes then driving into a ditch will cost more than £230.
As I said earlier. You don’t have to use vcds. Most diag tools can do it ranging from £20-30 upwards to the £1000s snap on type machines. All it’s doing is basically telling the modules you fitted new brakes and run a pre programmed procedure.

You are correct my Friend I’m not a qualified mechanic per say.......

However I’ll never ever tackle a job without
1) Proper tools to do it
2) Read / Research the procedure to do it if I’ve never done the works before.

My works on cars is varied, I don’t need to rely on you tube to show procedures, I just get on with it.

And I don’t bet on anything.......
Jog on.

Very good I have same brembo kit all round
Well youtb helps a lot to save money
Simply I was saying rear brakes can be done without vcds that's all i wanted to say
I am electro-technician (low power) and I know how simple stepper motor works.
Little bit push to the piston few millimetres absolutely not gonna do any harm to anything.
When you park car with parking brake motor simply spins and push metal cylinder with piston forward.
When you release brakes motor will spin backwards and with that little gear will wind cylinder back but piston will stay still out.
So basically there is small gap inside btw metal cylinder and piston.So you press it until piston will touch the cylinder and all is good you absolutely not doing any harm.. You fit pads discs and you can either press brake pedal and brake fluid will simply press cylinder forward again and will push piston onto new pads and you obviously feeling it when it goes harder and harder,means it is fully pressed..

Simply, no massively not true lol

VCDS was born out of the desire for people, both professionals and individuals, to be able to work on vehicles who cannot access or afford to access OEM tools, just like Autel, snap-on etc was.
You probably sponsoring it that's why you answering this way :)
Well there are many perfect european car scan manufactures which we should support ..

£230 is cheap considering if you muck up a caliper is double that and failing brakes then driving into a ditch will cost more than £230.
As I said earlier. You don’t have to use vcds. Most diag tools can do it ranging from £20-30 upwards to the £1000s snap on type machines. All it’s doing is basically telling the modules you fitted new brakes and run a pre programmed procedure.
''All it’s doing is basically telling the modules you fitted new brakes and run a pre programmed procedure''
Hmm not sure what ''modules'' you talking about but ok .. As changing discs and pads has nothing to do with anything in ECU or codes that's simply mechanic and not electronic .. You talking not true here .. heh :suspicion: After changing this u don't need to do anything , clearing codes etc .. you just simply check brake fluid in level , you press brake pedal or you do the test drive and that's it..

Jeez talk about going off topic . All I asked was why on Autodoc certain manufacturers specifically list there discs as electronic handbrake compatible and others don't .was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something . Don't need to know about fitting discs or changing pads as have done all these before. And as far as I can tell there is no difference whatsoever so thanks to all who contributed usefully.

Jeez talk about going off topic . All I asked was why on Autodoc certain manufacturers specifically list there discs as electronic handbrake compatible and others don't .was just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something . Don't need to know about fitting discs or changing pads as have done all these before. And as far as I can tell there is no difference whatsoever so thanks to all who contributed usefully.

Lol you know how this Forum gets sometimes.
Everyone has a point of view and no one is an expert

You probably sponsoring it that's why you answering this way :)
Well there are many perfect european car scan manufactures which we should support ..
Behave yourself there. Don’t go making assumptions about me or any commercial arrangements you are not privy to!

for the record I have no vested interest in VCDS other than I am a Genuine paying customer and think it’s an amazing tool.

Now back on topic...

You are entitled to your views, 100000000%, never gonna say otherwise but please don’t talk rubbish.

Guys and Gals... Nothing wrong with working on your own cars but please follow, even if only loosely, procedure and principal.... else you might end up with issues and a lighter wallet.

Lol you know how this Forum gets sometimes.
Everyone has a point of view and no one is an expert

opinions are like ar$eholes, everyone has one:wink:

''All it’s doing is basically telling the modules you fitted new brakes and run a pre programmed procedure''
Hmm not sure what ''modules'' you talking about but ok .. As changing discs and pads has nothing to do with anything in ECU or codes that's simply mechanic and not electronic .. You talking not true here .. heh :suspicion: After changing this u don't need to do anything , clearing codes etc .. you just simply check brake fluid in level , you press brake pedal or you do the test drive and that's it..
That’s probably right if you drove an 80s fiesta. everything pretty much has an electronic component nowadays. For your brakes you have parking brake module, abs, possibly acc, park steering assist and they all Possibly talk to each other.