Rear Brake Discs

Dan_DJT

Reaction score
The friction surface on my rear discs doesnt look too good, pic below. I know there is an issue with rust and I will tidy that up when its a bit warmer. I would expect the friction surface to be a bit more clean from the action of the pads. Would like to see what other owners rear discs look like to know if mine have an issue.
f5bacee239ed16377b3b1224b05faa4f.jpg

I don’t have a picture handy where I don’t have surface rust from a wash, but that definitely doesn’t look right.

Go out and give them a bit of a kicking to see if it improves.

Exactly the same with mine. Was told all was fine in fact I wasn’t using them enough....yeh right. I’m not happy with that though. Don’t know what else can be done...anything under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks entirely normal to me - a few bits of grit on the pads perhaps but nothing that a spirited drive won't sort out. Is there a performance issue here or is it the aesthetics that is the issue?

Thanks for the replies

Brakes all seem to work fine so it's just an appearance issue at the moment. In the past I have found that when the friction surface rusts or grooves then its not long until it is too much for the pads to clean up.

I will do a few hard stops and see if it clears up a bit, I dare say I am not braking hard enough. I think there is very little rear brake bias on the RS3 to the point that they dont really do a lot.

I had the same issue on my Seat Leon that I had before the RS3 and I fitted new Seat discs and pads. The problem went away then, almost as if the pads/discs used in production are harder than those sold as genuine replacements .

I fear that you will not achieve much after a few 'hard stops' - in fact you might only increase the grooves! I presume that it is the grooving that you do not like the aesthetics of, yes?

Grooves in discs are down to two factors: foreign objects getting between pad and discs and/or soft metal compound of the disc. Changing out to a different disc/pad combination is the only way to 'clean' them up.

Reactions: Dan_DJT
I fear that you will not achieve much after a few 'hard stops' - in fact you might only increase the grooves! I presume that it is the grooving that you do not like the aesthetics of, yes?

Grooves in discs are down to two factors: foreign objects getting between pad and discs and/or soft metal compound of the disc. Changing out to a different disc/pad combination is the only way to 'clean' them up.
^^^^^^^^
This +1

I fitted these Tarox discs to mine:

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
163d17ef35e700bd7f457449b7873fb9.jpg

Reactions: 45bvtc
Looks pretty darn sexy! How are they after a bit of road use?

Here is a picture of each rear after road use and 2 days on the Nurburgring.
44ade92db9f165485789ce82450397f7.jpg
b593762aa8ec3c84d66edb794acb1ee1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc
Can't complain at those, can you? They are pretty well groove free, so Tarox obviously uses a better grade cast material than whoever Audi buys theirs from..:thumbs up:

Been out and done a lot of hard stops, slight improvement to disc surface but not a lot.

Will see how things go, don't want to put new discs on just yet, its only done 2750 miles.

06992bd07bf738917dc69a2611da56ac.jpg

The brake bios is mainly to the front so with mild street use the rear brakes do little to no work especially with just the driver with no weight in the rear.

I hate the rust on the rotors.

I have now done around 4,500 miles on my RS3 and thanks to the lovely weather my rear rotors on the rear are rusting. There is also some rust showing on the front as well although due to the design of the front breaks they are not nearly as obvious.

I will probably have them painted.

I asked the guys at posh wash in london and they also said they could change my standard alloys and make the diamond cut (with the same design as the optional alloys) for around £130 each. I like the diamond cut design more but I also like that the standard alloys are easy to fix if scratched of curbed.

Is the discs rusting an 'Audi special' as it is with the hubs? Or common across all manufacturers.
Considering some of the new alloys hardly have any material and you can see straight through the gaps to see the discs.. Well yeah... Not nice sight :(

This thread piqued my interest and made me look up photos of the old discs that came with our 2005 A3 from new. Despite bing on the car for almost 11 years before being replaced with Pagids (which rusted within a week) they were spotless, both fronts and backs. Is it a case of they don't make em' like they used to or bad fitting? All I know that I'd like to throw off the Pagids and replace them with something else as the rust is really bugging me (the braking is spot on, no problem there haha).

In my opinion discs are made with lower quality metal to reduce costs. I see a lot of VAG cars with rusty hubs. Jaguar paint the hub section and dont have the issue.

When I replaced the discs on my old Seat Leon I also painted the hub and they never rusted. I spoke with the parts guy at Seat and he confirmed that they get a lot of complaints about rusty hubs. He gave me a can of spray (pic below) that covers the rust but doesnt stop it coming through, just delays it. The genuine Seat aftermarket parts also seemed to be a different grade of metal as the friction surface was always clean and shiny vs the rough and grooved that were on the original parts.

I think the only solution is to remove the rust and paint them.

For the friction surface issue my car has it seems that replacement is the only way to fix it.
81db55a8c945bee1594e0da3e1d08d25.jpg

Few more hard stops today and discs are looking a little better. I am obviously not braking hard enough so will have to perfect my late braking technique !! Still absolutely love the car tho, so much fun to drive.
895fa8219364d3e4ba290b2778079cda.jpg
4b126c5f10f5eae26a6b8c688960ae47.jpg
c1d16a0d622366b4522b722a68011e8f.jpg

Reactions: Macintosh88 and T-800
Try not to leave the braking too late fella:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Dan_DJT