rear brake caliper bolts - HELP!

cunningfox

Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone tell me what size the head of the hex bolts on the rear calipers are and where I can get the tool to remove them from, just getting ready to fit new rear pads, and want to make sure i've got all the right tools ready, already bought the rewind tool.

Thanks!

You don't need to remove the hex bolts iirc.

2 spanners will do.

Thanks Adam, do I just untighten the bolts on the caliper rather than removing the caliper then?

The caliper splits from the carrier to allow you to change the pads.
Only need to remove the carrier if you were changing the discs also.
I believe they are 7mm cap screws? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks, couldn't find a "how to" on this anywhere, giving it a go tommorrow

How did you get on cunningfox?

I've changed my (old) focus', but not changed my Audi A3's yet... The focus was easy, but getting the right size hex bolt was an utter nightmare!

You will need a caliper windback tool! Other than that its a piece of P!

The rear bolts which hold on the carriers are spline sockets not torx's, do NOT use a torx's otherwise you will round them off.

Plus they are a git to get on a 2wd A3 and even more a of a git to get to on a Quattro!

I know as i did a Quattro a month ago and a 2wd sportback last weekend!

The rear bolts which hold on the carriers are spline sockets not torx's, do NOT use a torx's otherwise you will round them off.

Plus they are a git to get on a 2wd A3 and even more a of a git to get to on a Quattro!

I know as i did a Quattro a month ago and a 2wd sportback last weekend!

This isn't really what I wanted to read, as I have mine to do very soon. I did them on a skoda octavia yesterday, and assumed that they would be almost identical to do. Does anyone have any tips to make getting onto the carrier bolts any easier? And my air gun isn't man enough to get the bolts un-done, so I had to use a breaker bar (not easy when working on the floor!).

If you're only doing the pads you only need two spanners and a wind back tool. (IIRC). To just do the pads you don't need to remove the carriers so no breaker bar needed.

Thanks Bodders, but I need the discs doind too!

Have any luck on the carrier bolt size? Come across this and still no answer for myself -.-

Holy thread resurrection. lol.

I did a bearing this year and had to remove the carrier. The carrier bolts are not spline bits. They are 'triple square'. iirc they are 14mm. They don't come out very easily if they have been on for a while. Be patient.

Thanks Dan! :) I recently had new discs and pads so I think they should be okay :) any idea how much you tighten them? Don't want to go stupid on them.

Not sure of actual torque value. I just did it up tight. Not swinging from the ratchet tight but enough to be happy.

Okay mate, cheers for the info :) how much are they roughly? Need to purchase one for the weekend