rear bearing adjustment

tracer

'96 a4 1.8 se
Reaction score
hi folks. lookin for a bit of advice as usual.

found the culprit of my abs problem, the rear drivers side sensor would move out of its location after a couple of days. push it back in again and it would be fine but would happen again a couple of days later. did the wheel bearing check of lifting car and grabbing wheel and found there was a worrying amount of play in it. i have tightened the hub nut by following haynes manual but i want to make sure i haven;t overtightened it. anyone done this before?

what i did; took off split pin, removed locking sleeve, found that there was a gap between the nut and washer so start tightening until the nut was just touching the washer. i then kept on tightening the nut whilst rotating the hub, until the washer was just able to move when levered with a screwdriver and then backed the nut off a wee bit. fitted locking sleeve and new split pin. wheel turns just as freely as before and it now feels firm when grabbing it at 3 and 9 / 6 + 12 and trying to move it, so hope this is ok.

now i have checked the passenger side also and it feels like the wheel does not turn as freely as the driver side, why would this be? there is a little play when grabbing the wheel but nowhere near as bad as the drivers side was.

Personally, I'd renew the rear bearings for peace of mind......
Your adjustment methods seems as per the manual and whilst regular bearing adjustment is part of the servicing schedule if your rears were so loose then I think its fairly safe to say the bearings may be well past their best, and may even have sustained damage having been run around in that loose state......

hi all, i have had advise slight play in rear wheel bearings from last 3 mot's, not enought to fail yet, i have noticed lately though a whirring noise coming from the rear and the abs light comes on now and again, but if you turn key off and on again the light goes out?? i dunno ****** germans! im gona do both rear wheel bearings discs and pads at once. pain in the ****!