Really want to get an RS3 but unsure!!!

MarkMS3

Reaction score
Hello all,

Right I really want to sell my 8P2 S3 and get a Suzuka Grey RS3 but the only thing I am wary of the fact there seem to be a lot of fairly new low millage RS3's up for sale which makes me think is there a common reason people are letting go what I can only imagine is a fantastic car to drive and own? Is it purely down to running costs which doesn't bother me as that goes hand in hand with any S or RS variant obviously a bit more with RS before the number!

hopefully someone can enlighten me?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I guess it depends on what you're after. I believe your car has features which aren't on the RS3 (suspension, etc) but the RS3 will come with some that aren't on yours (some of the new A3 rear suspension and of course the engine).

I come from a 2006 Megane RS 225 and although it is a much different car, I miss its keyless entry, keyless go, the fact that the full leather was standard on the full fat, the peace and quiet in the cabin, its lightness and nimbleness at the front (getting off roundabouts was a game of mine). That said, the RS3 is definitely in a different league, and although the continental tyres are very noisy compared to what I'm used to, the sense of extreme power you get when pressing the throttle or the confidence you have while making very fast progress are gobsmacking.

So will you be missing things from the S3 you won't find in the RS3? Maybe you'll want to wait a bit to see if Audi releases one much earlier than usual?

Mark

I had a late shape (08) Impreza WRX STi, and I made the mistake of calling Audi and booking a test drive in the RS3. That was the 1st August. I took delivery of my RS3 on the 22nd October, having spec'd it exactly how I wanted it - should have gone for electric folding mirrors, but otherwise - perfect.

I had my doubts when I saw the new A3 on their website but after 3 weeks I am totally smitten !

Go test drive and report back !

David

apart from the rs3 is too small for my lifestyle work etc.. the reason i wouldn't buy an Rs3 is that there is no spare wheel, If you fix the Tyre with the Foam you would then have to buy a new tyre, at £300 i wont do it, every car i have had has had a nail in the tyre so i wouldn't risk it again. And after i have had a drive in one it got annoying as i kept banging my left leg where the gear stick is and there didn't seem to be alot of room but with the new a3 there seems to be more driver leg room.
But Overall they are a staggeringly nice Car :kissmyrings:

Mark

I had a late shape (08) Impreza WRX STi, and I made the mistake of calling Audi and booking a test drive in the RS3. That was the 1st August. I took delivery of my RS3 on the 22nd October, having spec'd it exactly how I wanted it - should have gone for electric folding mirrors, but otherwise - perfect.

I had my doubts when I saw the new A3 on their website but after 3 weeks I am totally smitten !

Go test drive and report back !

David

The B8 RS4 will be out for you as well as it has a lorry battery where there spare wheel goes :)

To the OP, test drive one if you can, its like nothing Audi have made before, its increadibly hooked up and alive for an audi, just remember its not a track car, its a GT car

the performance in any weather 4 up with shopping is stunning, the engine is one of audi's all time greats and has huge tuning potential (600bhp apr kit hopefull) an MP4-12C couldnt shake me from its tail in the rain ;)

I am always checking Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Audi's stock so I can take one for a test drive I know for a fact it would seal the deal! I was just a bit put off with the fact there are already quite a few for sale and only barely run in but I suppose they may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I was sold as soon as I took my S3 for a test drive so can't wait to see what the RS3 has to offer the fact it is a sportback means I can justify it to my girlfriend (easier to get our wee boy in and out) also cheaper than my S3 to insure.

I think there are a few about recently as Audi are pushing to sell the last remaining cars (250 ?) on the UK market.

Once these are sold into long term owners I doubt you'll see so many for sale.

As regards running costs I have been very pleasantly surprised - low insurance, reasonable mpg (24mpg overall for me so far but 28-30 on motorway cruises), and not too bad tax wise either.

I think there are a few about recently as Audi are pushing to sell the last remaining cars (250 ?) on the UK market.

Once these are sold into long term owners I doubt you'll see so many for sale.

As regards running costs I have been very pleasantly surprised - low insurance, reasonable mpg (24mpg overall for me so far but 28-30 on motorway cruises), and not too bad tax wise either.

Mine's done 25.6mpg overall from NEW, everything in....

I've seen 35.2 on a very steady 'legal' motorway run (M6/5 to The Old Passage at Arlingham (check it out)): 32.5mpg on the way back, obviously a little faster.

And, as mine just fits my garage (width wise), then I'll not be changing it for an RS4, which won't...

And I kid you not, I'm so impressed with the way the RS3 drives that I've just changed both my 1.6FSI A2 (brilliant motor car) and 3.2 TT roadster for a nearly new 2.0TFSI Quattro roadster with DSG, etc, what an amazing pair of cars: thank you Audi.

Last edited:
The RS3 is like a different car compared to the S3.
the suspension and chassis setup is much more controlled, which of course it needs to be with the power hike.
the engine is strong with bags of in-line 5 turbo character.
sport button gear changes are addictive - just has cat bypass pipes fitted ( sounds like 80's anti lag system )
Had an RS2 for 12 years which I loved, but the RS3 will be a keeper too.