Realistic MPG on a sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic

Dazzle89

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Looking to grab one of the above, can find loads of feeds on S3 Mpg and loads about different fuel options but cant find any on the 1.8 TFSI, can anyone share some light on the above?

Depends so much on driving style and journey type.

For me after 8000 miles:

Worst per tank average: 29.4mpg
Mean tank average: 34.3mpg
Mode tank average: 33.7mpg
Best tank average: 46.6mpg

All from actual fill volumes, not the DIS.

Better economy in flappy paddle mode than 'full auto'

John.

Depends so much on driving style and journey type.

For me after 8000 miles:

Worst per tank average: 29.4mpg
Mean tank average: 34.3mpg
Mode tank average: 33.7mpg
Best tank average: 46.6mpg

All from actual fill volumes, not the DIS.

Better economy in flappy paddle mode than 'full auto'

John.

Hi John

How did you manage the worst tank (was that city driving) and the best tank i am assuming motorway? I assumed the figures would be around what you said just curious on your best and worst, also what fuel are you using standard or the premium type?

Dazzle

Worst tank was around Christmas with the storms/rain and road closures, fallen trees, queues etc.

Best was a very long motorway run in May - really surprised me too.

Only ever use V-Power

John.

Hi,

My 1.8 is quattro so don't know if this will help you, but I average around 30-32mpg driving around town and 35ish on the motorway. On a tank I used to do less than 300 in winter but with the warmer weather now I'm averaging over 320. P.S I always refuel before it hits the last notch so I'm guessing if I use the full tank I might hit 400. Running V-Power or equivalent with light foot+paddle shifting

Why do you think you are getting better mpg from manual shifting ?

Why do you think you are getting better mpg from manual shifting ?

Because the S-Tronic box in anything except Sport/Dynamic has a mild obsession with low revs - often below the torque band of the turbo. As such you often need more pedal (& hence engine load and fuel) than if you were in the next lowest gear. Manual mode also allows anticipation of upcoming hills etc so you are in the right gear at the right time, rather than getting a bit bogged down until it kicks down.

John.

Because the S-Tronic box in anything except Sport/Dynamic has a mild obsession with low revs - often below the torque band of the turbo. As such you often need more pedal (& hence engine load and fuel) than if you were in the next lowest gear. Manual mode also allows anticipation of upcoming hills etc so you are in the right gear at the right time, rather than getting a bit bogged down until it kicks down.

John.
Interesting. You would have thought that the economy drive select would be best running in auto mode

John.

I've always tried to shift around 2k, what would be th with ideal shift point to prevent too much engine load then?

I've always tried to shift around 2k, what would be th with ideal shift point to prevent too much engine load then?

I don't think you can give an ideal shift point as it's dependent upon so many factors (engine load, throttle position, gear ratios, gear ratio of next gear, incline of road etc). That's why the green arrow shift advice doesn't come on at a fixed rpm and even disappears when going up a hill. Drive like a wendy and the arrow comes on early; a bit more throttle and it comes on later in the rev range.

All I can suggest is:
Change when you know the next gear won't drop below ~1700 rpm (unless you are coasting/over-run). Below this the turbo isn't effective.
Don't change up as soon as the green arrow appears.
If you find you need significantly more throttle after changing then you probably changed too early.

This applies more to petrols than diesels.

On the flip side - change late and enjoy the power....

John.