Re-sync key

/dev/null

Reaction score
Having just changed the battery on my spare remote, I've found it doesn't work now. :( Unfortunately it's being collected by the Finance company tomorrow so no time to take to a dealers. how do I re-sync the key? I've read a few things online, but they all seem to be for older model cars, or cars with an ignition?

Have you tried placing it on the sensor under the armrest and then starting the car with only that key present? I've got a 3rd key for mine that was without a battery for 2 years and it worked fine as soon as a battery was put back in.

Reactions: /dev/null
Yeah, never heard of a key requiring a resync after the battery has been replaced, I have done mine twice now...

Yeah, never heard of a key requiring a resync after the battery has been replaced, I have done mine twice now...

Exactly, did mine yesterday as it happens and it worked fine.
You haven't put the battery in upside down have you? Stupid question I know, but can be done I think...

Ok so sorted it. No thanks to Audi service who when I phoned didn't have a clue lol.
Anyways yes, the battery was in the correct way, red light flashing when pressed etc. I managed to figure this out by a lot of trial and error, so hopefully it'll help someone else in the future!

1) I unlocked the car with the working remote.
2) I then left this remote outside the car and put the dud one in the armrest compartment on the key sensor.
3) Pressed start on the car. Car started and then when I stopped and took the dud remote outside it worked fine again.

Previous I'd tried similar to above but with both keys in the car, however it must have picked up the code from the working key and not synced up the other.

On another annoying note, you apparently can't have any warnings on the dash including fuel light, so as I had about 40 miles left and the light on, I took it to the petrol station and stuck a fiver in. Got back in and started up - light still on! So I put another five in, but light still on!! So I assumed it just need to drive for a bit, so took it on a drive for 15 mins, but light still wouldn't go out. Back to the station, another five, and no joy still. So went back to work and left it a few hours, then drove some more, but couldn't get it off red! Only after putting another £3 in (£18 total) in did it finally go off and then up to 3 bars.
The sensor must take a reasonable amount of fuel to trigger it off red. ****** right off as it's 18 quid I've had to put in and I'll never use. Not to mention all the messing around with four petrol station visits!!

Reactions: Jonny B, CHEZ and cuke2u
I had the same fuel warning issue on a loan car from Audi, I put £5 in and nothing put another £5 and still did not reset the low fuel warning. I took the car back and they asked if I had put fuel in the car, I had to show them records that I had. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys, sorry to open up an old thread.

I now have the same issue. went to go out in the car.... fob won't work, kept trying to, changed the battery, LED flashing etc ok then alarm went off. Spare key works though :).

Anyway, the dud key... I don't really know whats happened to it, tried the steps above:

1) I unlocked the car with the working remote and leave outside the car
2) Put the dud one in the armrest compartment on the key sensor.
3) Pressed start on the car.

The car won't start, keeps saying place the key over the armrest compartment on the key sensor.

I also tried

1) I unlocked the car with the dud remote actual key
2) Put the dud remote in the armrest compartment on the key sensor.
3) Pressed start on the car.

The car won't start, keeps saying place the key over the armrest compartment on the key sensor.

Any ideas what may be happening or how to fix this?. A few other odd issues happened. All of a sudden the central locking went from open all door to only open driver side door without me changing anything.... very odd.

Just a note to say I fixed this issue now..

This is what fixed it in case anyone else has issues.

1. Lock the car with the working keyfob, keep it away from the car, in the house or something, keep it well away :)
2. Ensure you are using a new battery with the second non-working keyfob, make sure the LED is flashing on the fob (I used cheap batteries I had, and the LED was very faint, changed them to more expensive batteries and thew LED glows much brighter.. worth spending a little more, don't get JCB batties from B&M store :)
3. Open the car door with the manual key inside the fob, turn the key to open the door.
4. Immediately place the dub keyfob in the centre console area where you charge your phone, where the key symbol is.
5. This is the step I was missing.... push and hold the clutch (for manual cars) or break (for auto cars)
6. Press the start button, a message on the dash is shown Remote Control Key: hold ket against the designated area
7. Press the start button again with the clutch held down.

The engine starts and the key fob is now re-synced and can be used to lock and unlock the car.

Notes: I had to perform steps 5, 6 and 7 twice before the fob started working fully.