Re-Map Reversal?

ColMac

Reaction score
Hi,

What's up people. Just thought I'd share here too see what the craic is. Bought My car (2007 Audi A3 2.0l TDI) a month ago and it went into Limp mode on the motorway, took it back to the dealer and got it looked at on warranty and apparently it was over Boosting. Now, here's my issue... I didn't receive any service history with the vehicle. And when I drove it, it was pretty quick.. having just came from a Renault Megane and a Clio I was just under the impression this was the power of the Audi. Having got it back last night the car is really sluggish. Last week when I hit 20mph in 2nd it threw my head back. Now I can't even feel the kick of the Turbo at all... which leads me to think it may have been Remapped...? And if so then they have removed/Reversed it?

Sorry for the long post but I'm just putting the feelers out.

Cheers

Colin.

Welcome to the forum. You may be better posting this in the A3 8P section, I'm sure @Sandra will be along to move the post for you.
Tdi 140's are quick cars, first time I drove one, I was shocked at the power from a diesel. They do have an appetite for turbos going around the 100,000 mark though.
Overboosting is a common trait of a turbo on the way out.
I think your garage is avoiding the obvious, but I don't know what they have done to 'dumb it down' as you describe.
You will get lots more help in the 8P section, a lot of people have been through this, myself included.

Reactions: Sandra and ColMac
Welcome to Audi-sport.net Colin.
There could have been several things wrong with the car that would have caused an over boost issue. And pretty much limp mode is caused by over boost issues although under boost problems will trigger it too.
If the turbo was exceeding the "safe" boost pressure allowed in the map then that needed to be resolved as it will result in a much reduced life for the turbo. If the car had been mapped and it was going into limp mode it wasn't a good map anyway.
It's possible the car had been remapped and that's now been taken off, also possible that another issue on the engine has been repaired and it's now working correctly.
Either way the car is better for it. If you want it mapped find someone good who can do it properly. There are plenty of amateur people who can map these cheaply but you end up with an unreliable car. Most diesel tuning on standard cars requires a very small increase in boost and doesn't involve exceeding the "safe" boost levels that are in the standard map. It's all about getting more fuel in.
Is your car a 140 or a 170 TDI ?
Where abouts are you in the country as somebody may be able to recommend a tuner.

Reactions: Jake 61
Good Idea Jake moved the thread for you Colin.

Reactions: Jake 61, Sandra and ColMac
Welcome to the forum. You may be better posting this in the A3 8P section, I'm sure @Sandra will be along to move the post for you.
Tdi 140's are quick cars, first time I drove one, I was shocked at the power from a diesel. They do have an appetite for turbos going around the 100,000 mark though.
Overboosting is a common trait of a turbo on the way out.
I think your garage is avoiding the obvious, but I don't know what they have done to 'dumb it down' as you describe.
You will get lots more help in the 8P section, a lot of people have been through this, myself included.

I literally just signed up here so unsure on sections and such haha, thanks though and the car is at 100k but he said it has a fairly new Turbo on it and the cause of overboosting was something to do with it not being altered properly?

I literally just signed up here so unsure on sections and such haha, thanks though and the car is at 100k but he said it has a fairly new Turbo on it and the cause of overboosting was something to do with it not being altered properly?
Welcome to audi-sport.net. I'm sure the guys will help you out. Hope you get it sorted soon. :)

Reactions: ColMac
This sounds like a better story than most, if the turbo is fairly new, then your gremlins should be minor one's.
I hope you get it sorted, they are great engines when they are running right.
If it's a TDi 170, you may have DPF issues as well, all easily sorted though.

Reactions: ColMac and Sandra
Welcome to Audi-sport.net Colin.
There could have been several things wrong with the car that would have caused an over boost issue. And pretty much limp mode is caused by over boost issues although under boost problems will trigger it too.
If the turbo was exceeding the "safe" boost pressure allowed in the map then that needed to be resolved as it will result in a much reduced life for the turbo. If the car had been mapped and it was going into limp mode it wasn't a good map anyway.
It's possible the car had been remapped and that's now been taken off, also possible that another issue on the engine has been repaired and it's now working correctly.
Either way the car is better for it. If you want it mapped find someone good who can do it properly. There are plenty of amateur people who can map these cheaply but you end up with an unreliable car. Most diesel tuning on standard cars requires a very small increase in boost and doesn't involve exceeding the "safe" boost levels that are in the standard map. It's all about getting more fuel in.
Is your car a 140 or a 170 TDI ?
Where abouts are you in the country as somebody may be able to recommend a tuner.

Thanks storm, mines the 138bhp version (140 to round up I assume?) It's just now it's came back and it's sluggish I feel it isn't the car I purchased as it was a lot of fun to drive. And I'd have to pay out to get it back to (and better) what it was, I did get a remap quote of £250 as I was under the impression car was standard. And was told it would be a BHP increase of 37 (up to 175bhp from 138) I may take it back to the dealer and just enquire. It's a completely different car performance wise, throttle responce was incredible and now with my foot to the floor in 3rd the climb is very gradual. I'm in the south west of England, Somerset.

As you can tell I'm not all too clued up on cars/Mechanicals

Thanks again

I would run this past the dealer before you go thinking about a remap.
TDi 140 engines do have their issues, but being sluggish on the throttle isn't one of them. There may be something simple needing looked at and hopefully that's you happy with your car again.

If it was mapped before and now returned to standard it probably would feel sluggish. There is a good difference between a standard car and a mapped one. Ask the garage what they have done ?.

I would run this past the dealer before you go thinking about a remap.
TDi 140 engines do have their issues, but being sluggish on the throttle isn't one of them. There may be something simple needing looked at and hopefully that's you happy with your car again.

I don't really want to run a remap on it. That's the problem I think he's deleted or removed the Remap that was already on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was mapped before and now returned to standard it probably would feel sluggish. There is a good difference between a standard car and a mapped one. Ask the garage what they have done ?.

I think that's the best bet. I'll visit him tomorrow. It's just not the same car I bought. haha. I liked that I could release a beast! I do love the car though. Different ball park to my clapped out Megane

If there is no power at all there is a problem even if the car had a standard map put back on it would still be fast the way your describing it sounds like there is some other problem does it not shift with your full foot down? Does it feel like its in limp mode? 'Maybe try another garage

If there is no power at all there is a problem even if the car had a standard map put back on it would still be fast the way your describing it sounds like there is some other problem does it not shift with your full foot down? Does it feel like its in limp mode? 'Maybe try another garage

Cheers. It doesn't feel like it's in Limp mode. But no, there is no guts to it. When I first test drove it I went uphill in 3rd to test the Turbo and I felt it kick in and pull me up the hill. I done the same again this morning and it struggled up the hill with foot to the floor in 3rd. Didn't even want me to get up the hill. Dropped it into second and still just cruised. It's a world of difference. I rang the garage (as I have Warranty with them so it isn't costing anything) and they said to bring it in tomorrow morning for a road test.

Get a second opinion of another garage

Reactions: Rog_B
Get a second opinion of another garage

Not a bad idea, see what they say tomorrow and then look into it somewhere els.

That's not right, a good running 140 should want to rip the tyres off the rims.
There's a problem they're trying to hide from sorting.

Reactions: Rog_B and ColMac
That's not right, a good running 140 should want to rip the tyres off the rims.
There's a problem they're trying to hide from sorting.

It's good to hear it as it's the first Audi I ever drove so I was wondering what was right.... I mean a 2l Turbo shouldn't struggle up a hill! Standard!

Well, having took it to the dealer today he said he won't need to road test it as he knows what the matter is and it has something to do with altering the Turbo or something. (I'm not very mechanically minded myself so some of which I didn't quite understand) but he's having it on the 28th for a couple of days to fiddle and road test and it should be back to normal...

Here's hoping...

It's good to hear it as it's the first Audi I ever drove so I was wondering what was right.... I mean a 2l Turbo shouldn't struggle up a hill! Standard!

Mine absolutely flies up the steepest hills. It runs On Shell Nitro and Archoil 6400-D added once every 4 months or so. It's bog standard!

Well, having took it to the dealer today he said he won't need to road test it as he knows what the matter is and it has something to do with altering the Turbo or something. (I'm not very mechanically minded myself so some of which I didn't quite understand) but he's having it on the 28th for a couple of days to fiddle and road test and it should be back to normal...

Here's hoping...

Let's hope they actually know what they are doing, rather than poking around in the dark. Get them to do a VCDS scan and get the data on here for an opinion.
If they don't know what VCDS is... then you need to get an expert opinion from someone like @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

I don't know what they're planning to alter without resorting to a map.
These turbo's are electronically managed for actuation and boost, there is no fiddling about without remapping.
Back in the day, you could adjust things on your old Ford RS, but not with the hi tech kit fitted nowadays.

My Engine light has just came on now also. Fantastic ..........

Got the A3 back today. Just drove it home and it's pulling like a beast. He said it was a new turbo fitted a week before I bought it but the way it was fitted was causing overboosting. It was adjusted again, this time too much causing under Boosting. Which caused the engine light to come on. So it's been adjusted 2/3 more times and been out on four road tests and he said it's fine. And like I said, having drove it it seems like she's got the power back.