Raywell Badges

springie

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to know if any members had trouble applying their raywell rear audi rings badge?

I reason I ask it that I applied mine to my B8.5 Avant and due to the vertical curve where the badge sits, it has only adhered to the top half and has a gap (and won't stay stuck down) on the bottom.

Should be badge it self be curved, or should the tape have been strong enough to force it to stick to the curve?

Any feedback appreciated

Yeh I had this

I added a bit of double sided tape along the top and bottom of the badge

So the top has two layers of tape the middle has one and the bottom has two this cancels out the curve and the whole badge sits flush

Yeh I had this

I added a bit of double sided tape along the top and bottom of the badge

So the top has two layers of tape the middle has one and the bottom has two this cancels out the curve and the whole badge sits flush

I see, that is slighty annoying as I thought it would be a straight replacement. Thanks for the reply though, I will give it a go!

Reactions: Chop.
Hi,

I wanted to know if any members had trouble applying their raywell rear audi rings badge?

I reason I ask it that I applied mine to my B8.5 Avant and due to the vertical curve where the badge sits, it has only adhered to the top half and has a gap (and won't stay stuck down) on the bottom.

Should be badge it self be curved, or should the tape have been strong enough to force it to stick to the curve?

Any feedback appreciated

Yup, I'd the same problem on my B8 Avant. The factory one is curved top to bottom, the Raywell is just flat. They don't seem to do one that suits the Avant. Mine is just about staying on, it'll need replacing shortly, i'll go OEM and plastidip it this time. I also ordered the front rings too, they were a poor fitment too, they were slightly too small, I was sent a second version to try which was too big.. I gave up in the end.

Yup, I'd the same problem on my B8 Avant. The factory one is curved top to bottom, the Raywell is just flat. They don't seem to do one that suits the Avant. Mine is just about staying on, it'll need replacing shortly, i'll go OEM and plastidip it this time. I also ordered the front rings too, they were a poor fitment too, they were slightly too small, I was sent a second version to try which was too big.. I gave up in the end.

I saw the curve it the OEM one but didnt know if perhaps the foam tape was stickey enough to cause it to curve permantley. I also got the front one but am not even going to attempt to use it now.

I plastidipped the badges on my old B8, but for some reason it doesn't seem to hold well on my B8.5 and eventually bubbles/shrinks. That why I tried these. Its dissapointing they are not fit for purpose on the avant and its not stated on their website.

Yup, there's no way the rings will bend. I tried to curve it with hot water but its hard plastic that wouldn't shape.

Yeh your not bending them

Just layer the tape to suit on the back solves the problem

My front fitted no problems

Yeh your not bending them

Just layer the tape to suit on the back solves the problem

My front fitted no problems
Didn't you change grill on the front? I've too much tape showing that's the problem, it does like to collect the dirt

Yeh I did change front grill that could be the difference

I trimmed the tape down with a Stanley on the rear badge so there's none showing either side

Baked the badge in the oven on a low long heat and its curves to match the bodywork.

I don't suppose you can remember what temp and how long for? I tried the heat gun but it was a bit agressive and melted a little bit.

I can't, I looked up the material properties which is on the back of the badge and then went 10 degrees below it and baked for a couple of hours, I warmed the mount point with a hair dryer while in the garage and placed it directly on and let it cool while in place.

Reactions: Chop.
Oh, I forgot to mention I removed the sticky back pad prior to the oven and replaced it after the badge had cooled in its curved shape.

I have since sold the badges and have the OEM chrome ones back on.

I tried baking my spare badge in the oven, I had it on fan bake as I was lazy and just wanted to see if it would bend (before doing the real badge) it started to distort on the side facing the fan and actually shrank a bit too.

I think it would have worked on non fan bake as GeoffDunk suggested, but in the end I went with Chop's method and added a row of tape to the top and bottom of the badge. Its not quite as tidy as I wanted, but its no where near as bad as I thought it would turn out either and you dont notice unless you are looking for it.

Sorry to hear that you guys had problems with your badges. The avant does indeed have a slight curve in the badge and ours have a flat profile - although we had one fitted to our avant for the best part of a couple of years without issue, it does seem there have been more issues cropping up. As a solution we can offer a smaller rear badge which sits in line with the flat profile of the boot and doesn't come into contact with the curve - therefore sticking much better. We will of course honour this for any previous customers that have had issues with their badges. Just get in contact with us via the website with your previous order number and a picture of said issue preferably.

Reactions: AU11 ALS, Bristle Hound, GjrBartlett and 1 other person
You know I was just about to comment and say how poor that is from a well known company but their offer to replace them saved them from my criticism. Well done, good to see.