Rattling sound

Hey Erik, I've just read your PM, apologies for not reading it sooner!

It's really hard to say from the video whether it's normal or not, due to the way cameras pick up sound, but it does sound a little more than the usual 1.8T tick.

You can hear the carbon canister ticking at one point in the vid, but then when you've close over the cam cover it does sound more rattly than usual.

It should be fairly straight foward to whip the cam cover off and take a look at the chain and tensioner at that end. It's not unheard of for the pads on the tensioner to break down and fall apart with age!

Do I need to replace the cam cover gasket if I open it up? It's a fairly new gasket fitted about 6000km ago.

If I were in your position I wouldn't change gasket.

Erik, is the noise louder from the left side or the right side of the engine? I had a can chain tensioner issue, but the noise was coming from the right side of the engine.

Also when you Rev the engine, is the noise disappearing? If so this could also point to a faulty cam chain tensioner. I had this issue only 4 months back. The noise would begin once the car was up to temp and would disappear whilst driving.

The noise is from the left side, when facing the inlet side of the engine. It's the side where the timing belt is. The video was taken at cold start...

Possible drive belt/tensioner issue then? I'm not too sure what could be causing the issue on the left side. If you do find out, please let us know.

Theres not that much that u can screw up. I have to change cam gasket soon and will probably check if i can determine wheres sound coming from. My bet is cloghed pick line so will be taking oil pan down to look and clean pick line and check oil pump. Will snap pics just in case someone needs one.