Rattling Shaking Noise

Urinbits

Reaction score
When I start my A3 8V 1.6tdi S Line from cold now there is a definite mettalic sounding rattlinr noise from the engine area. The car itself shakes ever so gently as well at rest. If I take off in first gear and accelerate slowly or even leave it in gear and no acceleration every so often the car shudders back and forth sort of like losing power if that makes sense? This continues in 2nd gear but once you start to rev more in 3rd etc it goes away but the engine rattle is still present. Once the oil temp gets above 1 light on the dash none of these symptons exist anymore.

Any ideas?

Went into Audi and they diagnosed it as the tensioner. So they replaced that and since I've 69k miles on it already they said I may as well do the belt and water pump to which I agreed. So they did all that and there's still a shudder apparently according to them so they checked the injectors and cylinders and everything seemed okay apart from the seals being wet so they replaced them too. Now they're waiting for the car to cool down before testing again from cold. So far the cost is up to 560 pound and they're not 100% that when they next test it that it'll be sorted.

Ok so didn't really help. They sent the diagnosis to Germany and they said it looks like a faulty fuel injector in the 4th cylinder so they are sorting that out now at a discounted rate of 100 quid. So total price should be 660 assuming it sorts it! But looking online at common symptoms of a faulty fuel injector it ticks all the boxes to what I was experiencing!

Got it all back and it was perfect but there was a tremendous diesel smell in the cabin once I stopped after driving home. Thought it was prob just due to the fact there was prob diesel on the pipes from where they were working on it. Next morning there was puddles of diesel under the car though and opening the bonnet and removing the engine cover showed puddles of diesel around the injectors. Obviously got them to tow it back and they sorted it free stating one of the return valves was pinched causing the leakage. Poor enough mechanic work though to not test it properly before handing it back.

Got it all back and it was perfect but there was a tremendous diesel smell in the cabin once I stopped after driving home. Thought it was prob just due to the fact there was prob diesel on the pipes from where they were working on it. Next morning there was puddles of diesel under the car though and opening the bonnet and removing the engine cover showed puddles of diesel around the injectors. Obviously got them to tow it back and they sorted it free stating one of the return valves was pinched causing the leakage. Poor enough mechanic work though to not test it properly before handing it back.

That sucks! A friend of mine had a similar issue with a Range Rover that leaked diesel all over the drive. They arranged for a company to come and clean the diesel stains off the drive properly as they had made quite a mess and we couldn't shift the stains with washing up liquid, wire brush etc.