rattling pano roof

New S4 Man

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an annoying rattle coming from my pano roof. The noise only manifests itself when driving on certain (ruff) road services. I've noticed that there is a very small cut in the rubber seal at the back of the pano roof. I bought the car used approved from a different audi dealer last jan.

I've taken it into my local dealer who want £275 to fix it buy adding fabric tape to the contact points on the roof. I'm thinking this should be covered under the 1 year used approved warranty, am i correct to think this?

Cheers!

They won't be able to fix it either, they all rattle a bit.

Rattling is inevitable, mine rattles on speed bumps after I’ve opened and closed it, but once it’s shut for a few hours it dont make any noise.

Useless griping ahead...

I don't understand why the VW group decided to put these “panoramic” panels in the MQB cars. I have a Golf Sportwagen as well, and it has a true panoramic roof that is deserving of the name. In our cars, though, as well as the standard Golf, there's a very minimal gain in opening size as compared to the standard sliding glass roof they had been using since, oh, 19-0-dirt. I don't recall the percentage of opening gained with the new roof, but it was minor (I measured both when the S3 first landed in the US in 2014).

The new roof feels much more complex to me, and it feels cheaper as I've always perceived over-the-roof to look cheaper than in-the-roof. It makes sense on the Sportwagen where nearly the entire roof is glass, but it just seems silly on the other MQB cars. And then there's my almost entirely unfounded opinion that the newer style will rattle more...

Useless griping ahead...

I don't understand why the VW group decided to put these “panoramic” panels in the MQB cars. I have a Golf Sportwagen as well, and it has a true panoramic roof that is deserving of the name. In our cars, though, as well as the standard Golf, there's a very minimal gain in opening size as compared to the standard sliding glass roof they had been using since, oh, 19-0-dirt. I don't recall the percentage of opening gained with the new roof, but it was minor (I measured both when the S3 first landed in the US in 2014).

The new roof feels much more complex to me, and it feels cheaper as I've always perceived over-the-roof to look cheaper than in-the-roof. It makes sense on the Sportwagen where nearly the entire roof is glass, but it just seems silly on the other MQB cars. And then there's my almost entirely unfounded opinion that the newer style will rattle more...
I've not seen what they had before the panoramic ones but I had one on my last A3, I really liked it, the amount of light it let in was nice - miss it on my S3. I personally never had any rattling on it either, no problems at all. Although as you say the name panoramic suits cars like the sportswagen more because of the size.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Hi all, I have an annoying rattle coming from my pano roof. The noise only manifests itself when driving on certain (ruff) road services. I've noticed that there is a very small cut in the rubber seal at the back of the pano roof. I bought the car used approved from a different audi dealer last jan.

I've taken it into my local dealer who want £275 to fix it buy adding fabric tape to the contact points on the roof. I'm thinking this should be covered under the 1 year used approved warranty, am i correct to think this?

Cheers!
May sound a daft question, but is it 100% a metallic rattle or could it be a worn/brittle rubber squeak?

It cold just be a case of the rubber needs softening up again to give a bit of bounce (as it were!) if so this is what you need https://www.micksgarage.com/d/dash-...cts-rubber-from-wear-and-keeps-rubber-elastic

It's good stuff, even if you got it and it didn't work you can do all the doors with it! :)

On my second car with the GLASS ROOF.....shall we call it that, as the word Panoramic seems to annoy some folks on here....no rattles at all,as @S32B Posted get some of this kit

Reactions: Rob2k68 and jungle650
thanks chaps. I already bought some rubber care stuff and tried to fix it myself but it didnt really do any good.

It didnt seem to make any noise when i first got the car, but perhaps i just didn't notice it. Wonder if it's expanded/contracted due to the cold weather and that may be causing it. Now that i've "tuned into it" i can't un hear it and it's doing my head in.

Now that i've "tuned into it" i can't un hear it and it's doing my head in.
Ohhh I know that feeling :( My A5 had a rattle/tapping coming from the passenger footwell area and it was driving me mad :blink: I asked mates and the wife to see if they could locate it as I was driving...they couldn't even hear it!!! In the end it was my dashcam wire...all sorted now ;)

Pano roof should be serviced every two years to grease joints and replace anti-friction coating on the seals costs around £90 - might be worth having this done.

Reactions: Jassyo06
My pano roof developed an annoying rattle after about 40000 km. I kinda lived with it until the 55000 km service, which included greasing up the sunroof. As I had complained about the rattle, the shop actually adjusted the glass in addition to greasing. The rattle noise disappeared after.

Pano roof should be serviced every two years to grease joints and replace anti-friction coating on the seals costs around £90 - might be worth having this done.

II'l get this Glass roof serviced in 2 years time just before l sell it on..............NOT.....Sarry.....lol

Reactions: Rob2k68
Dealership tried to process the claim but have been back to say no dice, it's not covered by the warranty. Not really surprised but still quite disappointing tbh.

Rob2k68: Interesting. No one mentioned anything about the sun roof service when i took it in for it's service during the summer (car is 3 years old in jan). Or the Haldex oil change either (which i'm not having done). I find the whole electronic servicing thing a bit confusing tbh and i suspect stuff just gets forgotten about from time to time.

Not sure if this is still a problem but mine has been in for the third time. Audi have released a bulletin on this, it is a known issue.

If you need/want the exact details let me know, happy to send a copy of the paperwork they gave me which confirms the same

Hi there mate, yeah i would be interested in knowing more about this. Mine seems ok at the moment but i'm sure it will return again given the right (or wrong) road surface.

Its a pain. It happened to me when the bass was loud too. Even on news alerts every half hour, it has driven me mad. I should add that even though they have said its a known fault and ‘fixed’ it, i still occasionally get the noise and its irritating!!