1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rattling backend on a 58 plate A3 TDI.

Dave205 Jan 16, 2020

1. Dave205

Dave205 New Member

Hi guys looking for anyone with ideas for a rattling rear end on a 58 plate A3. I've had it checked and was told everything is fine so really don't understand why there is so much noise.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. John Lang

John Lang Member

Check for broken springs first.

4. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

Also check that the plastic guard things that cover the rear suspension arms aren’t loose....if they are they rattle away over every bump etc.
    A couple of plastic cable ties deftly positioned is pretty effective at silencing them.

5. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

Also this, I had a very metallic rattle that initially I couldn’t trace, until I peered/felt inside the rear lower suspension arm and found a chunk of the top of the rear spring that had broken off and fallen in there!
    The pressed steel arm has a U shape and is a perfect receptacle for catching bits of broken springs!

6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

3dr, 5dr?

7. SootySport

SootySport Well-Known Member Team Silver

That pressed steel arm also collects water( seems like it was fitted upside down, surely should not be designed like that) I noticed mine had lots of surface rust when I changed my rear springs, painted it with Waxoyl to stop it corroding.
    As for rattles, heatshields and plasticovers can come loose. If a Quattro check the metal ring on the end of the prop shaft, it can come loose.

8. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

Good idea.