Rattling amp (stealth sub install)

jbw

Reaction score
Website
www.anotheragenda.com
Ok, I followed the stealth sub install well over a year ago. Everything went swimmingly and I'm forever indebted to Mr AndyMac (he truely is a great chap). But due to the way I decided to mount the amp on the passenger side of the A3 I'm finding every 6 months or so I have to pull the panel off the rear passenger side and tighten up a few nuts n bolts because the amp is rattling. (This is no reflection on AndyMac's instructions, I bought a different amp to the one he suggested so it's my own fault.)

I've placed locking nuts on them to try and keep them tight but it's just not working. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping this amp from rattling. It drives me round the bend. A friend of mine suggested applying nail vanish to the tightened nuts to prevent movement. Has anyone tried this, or know of anything better to use? PVA glue perhaps?

The amp is bolted to the car via holes drilled into the side but I also chose to use some of that metal [SIZE=-1]Maccanno (from halfords) to attach it to two of the holes for extra stability. I can draw a picture if need be.

[/SIZE]ta,
jbw

I'd use some Nyloc nuts - the only guaranteed method for stopping them loosening

Hey Andy,
Cheers for replying mate. Where would I go to get these Nyloc nuts? Would a diy store like focus stock these or do I have to head to halfords or ?

ta,
jbw