Rattles in doors

MattBE

Reaction score
I've had my car for about 7 months now and it seems to have developed very annoying rattles in both front doors, especially in cold weather. Having owned an R26 Megane before this car you could say that i should be used to them! The difference in the Megane was that everyone had them so consequently you were bound to find someone who had a fix!!!!

The rattles are especially evident on rough tarmac and sound like a gentle tapping on something metallic. Sounds like they are coming from around the door lock area on both doors. Not loud but very annoying. Not something i'd expect from Audi. The car has been a lovely place to be during warm weather.

Anyone familiar/got an idea for a fix?

Try silicone spray on door rubbers, I did mine yesterday and it's sorted it out

Does it sound like a creaking kind of noise over rough road. I have this to on my three door i have tried nearly all the greases on the door seals.

Doesnt solve it, I even have Krytox which is the very expensive lubricant from VW but that doesnt help either, I have instead narrowed it down to the furry seal which is present on the window channel frame. When i roll my window down the noise stops so its that area which is the problem i think.

Im going to have the doors aligned and if necessary eventually just change the felt seal around the window channels

Try silicone spray on door rubbers, I did mine yesterday and it's sorted it out

Thanks, i'll give this a go. Should have thought really as it is the standard fix on the R26 for the 'creaky dashboard'. i'll see what happens over the weekend.

Thanks, i'll give this a go. Should have thought really as it is the standard fix on the R26 for the 'creaky dashboard'. i'll see what happens over the weekend.

Careful using the silicone has made mine worse over time, Use something like Gummi Plefdge instead.

I have the same issue its seems to come from the seal at the top of the window! Fine when it's raining but when its dry it's pretty bad! I think it is the dry rubber squeaking on the window as whn a move the window 1-2mm its solves the issue, I take it silicone spray sorts this?

I have the same issue its seems to come from the seal at the top of the window! Fine when it's raining but when its dry it's pretty bad! I think it is the dry rubber squeaking on the window as whn a move the window 1-2mm its solves the issue, I take it silicone spray sorts this?

Mine is now constant rain or no rain!

Been fighting with it for months myself, Some people recommend rubbing a black crayon on the felt instead of grease. I have tried grease on that area all it does is make a nasty mess on the windows avoid the greases they will leave grease marks on your windows.

Don't use silicon it ruins the rubber seals over time and you'll be faced with even worse creaking. Use Krytox, it's about the best stuff.

My last S3 used to rattle from new too, very annoying when you spend £32k on a car.

Would you suggest using krytox on the window channel felt? I layered a tiny bit on there but it hasnt done anything at all.

Would a door adjustment help with this as i do think my doors are sagging a little bit

s far as i know the only way to properly solve this is a new wondow restrictor!! Krytox is 2nd best. But you will need to keep applying it. Although some of the squeak comes from the furry stuff. How to sort that i dont know. I just open the windows 1-2mm regardless of the weather. I HATE RATTLES!

Rattles are the absolute bain, still suffering from squeeky Recaro bucket seat (given up) and more recently parcel shelf (easily fixed I guess). At least you know where its origins are, the first hurdle to overcome in any rattle solving quest.

I've got two very annoying rattles one from the rear shelf and the other one the drivers door when the window is down and the music is on (not loud) it just rattles away really really annoying lol , rear shelf is a very common one

Ok lets be clear hear, are they rattles or squeaks like dry rubber on glass moving back & forth.

If its a rattle from behind the lock area, it could be the lock cable isnt pushed into the locked position which is basically a plastic channel that holds the white plastic part of the cable in place.

Mines creaking! Its not a rattle or squeak at all but a rubbing surface creak.

Im certain its the window on the felt seal but my seal looks fine? I have lubricated the actual door seals properly with krytox but no change.

Mines creaking! Its not a rattle or squeak at all but a rubbing surface creak.

Im certain its the window on the felt seal but my seal looks fine? I have lubricated the actual door seals properly with krytox but no change.

Exact same as mine - has been in once to Audi garage for the application of lubricant to window seals but it's still no better.
Really is anoying rubbing sound and lets the otherwise quiet car down.
Guess I'm going to have to get it in again before the warranty runs out.

Reactions: TatoS3
Exact same as mine - has been in once to Audi garage for the application of lubricant to window seals but it's still no better.
Really is anoying rubbing sound and lets the otherwise quiet car down.
Guess I'm going to have to get it in again before the warranty runs out.

Its driving me nuts, Constant over bad roads its creaking like anything both doors. My car is out of warranty now so im stuck with it! Let me know how you get on i have tried lubricants and everything last resort it getting the seals changed. I wonder how much that is going to cost!

Both my front doors rattled when the windows were fully up. It seems the top on the window frame flexes a little when the windows are wound up. I think this then rubs against the felt causing the squeak / rattle. I gently struck the inside of the frame with the palm of my hand and so far no more noises for the last 2 weeks:arco:

sounds like i've got a mouse living in my passenger front door !!

Its driving me nuts, Constant over bad roads its creaking like anything both doors. My car is out of warranty now so im stuck with it! Let me know how you get on i have tried lubricants and everything last resort it getting the seals changed. I wonder how much that is going to cost!

I've just treated my seals and felt with Gummi Pfledge and it's worked a treat

no more rubbing sounds as I go over bumps

Mine rattles when the window is fully up and it's the guides on the window regulator. I had to get a new regulator, and the guides are just not quite as secure as the originals. It's fine when the window is down or partially open as the glass holds the guides steady.

If it still rattles with new parts then its not fitted correct, I would get it removed & check it properly as its secured by 2 screws at the bottom & 3 at top along with 4 big feck of bolts for door tops, so cant see how its rattling so much, there is a clip aswell you push the wire cable into, maybe this hasnt been fitted properly.