Rattle noise on idle help!

Mike.M

Reaction score
I have a rattle noise on idle that is getting annoying now and worse when air con is on, not off like the normal issues I have read up on.

I replaced the alternator pulley and then the tensioner as it was slightly bouncing last month and appeared to help for a short while............the belt is still when in motion.

When the aircon is engaged the noise gets worse and when off it is a lot quieter but you can still tune into the noise.

Dipping the clutch or putting it on full lock does not appear to make any difference apart from when the revs pick up a little or when driving there is nothing to hear.

It appears to be coming from the power steering/air con side of the aux belt when looking down from the front and as I hover my ear across the engine bay.

It's the AC compressor pulley. Common problem, there are 6 rubber shock absorbers in the pulley that wear out. New pulley from TPS is about £120, but you can get one on German Ebay for about £80 delivered.

As said air con pully. Mine was like it and I left it for months and the pully snapped off one evening on the way home from work, lucky it didn't damage anything else and it runs on its own belt so nothing else was effected......I suggest getting it sorted!

Just ordered a new pulley kit from Germany for £70 all in compared to TPS for £127+VAT.

Will fit as soon as I can, but will have to knock up a three prong tool to unwind the pulley clutch plate

Just make sure yours is a 6SEU14C air con unit for this pulley kit not the 7SEU version as there are two in the A4 range.