Facelift Rattle Coming from Center Console

Panzerschiffe

Reaction score
I'm a 18' Audi A3 8V 1.0TFSI S-Tronic owner. My car has a rattle problem that couldn't be diagnosed at first by service. They wanted to keep the car and charge me for work hours to find, but I didn't want to give them the car because they said they might also remove the dashboard.

I made some research about my problem but couldn't find anything. I assumed it was coming from dog-bone insert at first, but the insert appeared to be fine at the end. After some digging and with the help of a microphone I managed find that it was coming from somewhere close to pipes leading into the heater core.

I want to share symptoms of problem.

While I'm not touching gas pedal and the car creeping it doesn't make any noise, as soon as I hit the throttle I'm hearing a creaking noise which feels like something stretching inside between center console and gas pedal. It also happens when I release the gas immediately and let the engine compress and slow down the car. Rattle only appears(or we can't hear it anymore) in 1st and 2nd gear while the car speeding up from idle, also somehow doesn't happen on R gear.

It doesn't matter if the car and heat core pipes are cold or hot.

I made some trials and gently tried to force car the car to move while handbrake not released, I didn't hear any noise while the car not moving but pushing itself.

Tried air conditioner on/off, hot/cold nothing changed, rattle is there.

Here I provided a photo where I feel like the noise is coming from and give two different voice recording which first one is recorded near cup-holders and the other one recorded with a microphone placed really close to the heater core.

audi-a3-s-line-dsg.jpg

If someone has an idea about problem and knows an easy fix or how it should be fixed, I would be really happy if can share his thoughts.

Do you have clear mount or phone holder on center air vents?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Do you have clear mount or phone holder on center air vents?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I had one, but removed while looking for rattle and nothing changed since then. I don't think the sound is coming from a place above center console, it should be something from heater box.

Thank you anyway.

I wouldn't go as far as this guy in the video, but maybe if you can remove the heater controls so you can get a feel for what is going on back there. Sounds like a definite fault and I'd be demanding something done under warranty, not at your expense, it's as loud as the indicator relay! I've got a creak on the centre console when the temperature of the cabin is cold but this is easy to live with as I know where it's coming from. Good luck.

I wouldn't go as far as this guy in the video, but maybe if you can remove the heater controls so you can get a feel for what is going on back there. Sounds like a definite fault and I'd be demanding something done under warranty, not at your expense, it's as loud as the indicator relay! I've got a creak on the centre console when the temperature of the cabin is cold but this is easy to live with as I know where it's coming from. Good luck.

My warranty ended 3 months ago sadly. Car had so many different rattles from the beginning, most of them fixed under warranty and this one appeared after warranty ended. I will probably take it to the service if it is too complicated like removing whole dashboard. I can't bear this noise it is really annoying.

8v A3/S3/RS3 Dash rattle FINALLY REVEALED. It was the driver seat compartment flap