Rather unexpected A6 purchase...

Looking good James, RE: retaining the private reg on a SORN'd car, been there and done it, no chance of getting the reg back, let me know if you find a way though....

For what it's worth I'm running '18 rs6 reps with no spacers. I think std bodied c5s came with wheels of 30-45 offset. The std SE alloys on mine were et45 and I'm pretty sure the reps on it now are et35, I feel mine could do with spacers at least 10mm at rear and 8mm front so I'm looking to do that, sorry no pics but will post when (if ever) progress is made.Car is looking sweet, amazing how well c5's can age given a little care and attention

Also i'd recommend 15mm spacers for the back, hubcentrics. 10-12mm bolt through types are notoriously a bit dodgy due to the strain on the thread running through the spacer (from the wheel bolt). Hubcentrics bypass that problem due to bolting direct to the hub obviously. I run 9.5j ET40 rear wheels with 15mm spacers and it sits flush with the arch, so you won't have any clearance issues on what I assume is an 8j wheel?
8J yes. 15mm is a thought, I'll look at some prices. I need to decide whether I spend or save....
For what it's worth I'm running '18 rs6 reps with no spacers. I think std bodied c5s came with wheels of 30-45 offset. The std SE alloys on mine were et45 and I'm pretty sure the reps on it now are et35, I feel mine could do with spacers at least 10mm at rear and 8mm front so I'm looking to do that, sorry no pics but will post when (if ever) progress is made.Car is looking sweet, amazing how well c5's can age given a little care and attention
The A4 was the same in that it needed wider spacers at the rear, I found 8mm was a perfect compromise for that, but the 6 requires more I think. However I suspect that will exaggerate the fact that it would benefit from a bit of a drop.... What do you mean by wide bodied? Does the V8 4.2 and the S6 have the same body as the RS6? Have they had that all through the C5's life span?

Just meant any of the wide arched ones, I think just s6 & rs6 but stand to be corrected, on the other points I couldn't tell you but I'm sure someone on here can (I've only owned a lowly 1.9)

On my a6 on 20" wheels i had to space them 10mm all round, the rear wheels are 9" wide and they were rubbing with 15mm spacers...

hi, i've just bought a A6 tdi 130 6sp 52 plate 2003 model. same as this and it is down as a 'sport' same trim, steering wheel as yours. mine has the colour coded bottoms around the sills and bumpers. very pleased with it, did the timing belt as was not good (it was a one owner car too!).did the coolant thermostat and service on it at the same time, as having always owned VW/audis, know these and the coolant temp sensors fail. incidentally didnt do the CTS as no faul on VCDS but now i've used it for a week has decided to fail and not read temp.Can you tell me where the CTS is located on the C5 and what probable colour/type it will be? cheers,

hi, i've just bought a A6 tdi 130 6sp 52 plate 2003 model. same as this and it is down as a 'sport' same trim, steering wheel as yours. mine has the colour coded bottoms around the sills and bumpers. very pleased with it, did the timing belt as was not good (it was a one owner car too!).did the coolant thermostat and service on it at the same time, as having always owned VW/audis, know these and the coolant temp sensors fail. incidentally didnt do the CTS as no faul on VCDS but now i've used it for a week has decided to fail and not read temp.Can you tell me where the CTS is located on the C5 and what probable colour/type it will be? cheers,
It should be 4 pin green and it's at the back of the cylinder head in a metal housing. Make sure you have the right size seal and a new plastic clip, old ones tend to break when re-used.

cheers Adam.yes thanks to the location described found it (never had a VAG car with the sensor in the same location!)just been out and checked it (in the rain!) is the OE black 4 pin 'D' plug, so will be replaced with the green.Done quite a few in my time of owning VAG cars (and friends ones), have new clips and seals always 'in stock' :)cheers.

At the risk of derailing my thread too much...

Can you tell me where the CTS is located on the C5 and what probable colour/type it will be? cheers,

My AVF has two. There is one situated on the lower hose where it comes out of the radiator on the nearside, and the second is on the offside of the engine block tucked under the intercooler pipe near the bulkhead.

Two things....

Firstly, I assume (unlike the A4) both rear foglights should work?

And, secondly.... do all A6's leave crud on the door shut like this? I know the roads have been a bit grotty of late but I've not been through any flood water and this is horrible! It's only on the nearside, the offside is clean as a whistle, and there's nothing (obvious) missing.

On my -01 Avant there is only one fitting for a light bulb (originally sold in Germany) so single side fog light.

Don't think I ever had problems with crud like that, is it reoccurring? Have yo had it parked next to a road so some other car might have dropped / splashed it on? Or when overtaking.
(Why do you have to drive on the wrong side, I have to :think: in which situation it might happen )

+1 on rear fog light, typically VAG.

not had that much crud before, dirt but not like that. I do always have mud flaps on my car though (A6 didn't have any when bought but managed to get new ones off ebay), uncool and very practical IMO. Keeps the colour coded bottoms on mine clean and stops chipping.

That's rather disappointing about the fog light, it's one thing on the A4, but on the 6 with it's dedicated fog lights it just looks like a bulbs out, shocking. Might have to add this to the DIY list:

AudiWorld Tech Articles

It's only been the last two-three weeks we've had any rain since I bought the car, but the crud appears everytime within a few days, that's a typical amount, and not down to any one event. It just seem to occur when doing normal rural driving. I'll have to get underneath and check the seals etc. I'm sure mud flaps would help, but I can't imagine I need them purely to prevent that!

Also got these bad boys for Christmas to perk up my main beams a bit:

I've just fitted the X-Treme Visions, they're rated at 3350k and look yellow next to the (4300k) HID's! I'm more worried about performance than ultimate colour match for the main beams though. I'll look forward to trying them in the dark.

This came today too :yes:

Some work required to fit it.

Regarding the rear foglights - only one was wired on mine and its really annoying - so sorted the other side to work - another nember plate panel from scrapper, cut out blanking plastic from mine and cut out lamp holder from scrapper, fixed new lamp holder (maybe tie wraps but can't remember) and extended wiring and now there are two:icon_thumright:

Photos to follow later today

Photo as promised
IMG 0069 zpsbaddb5b4

Reactions: 6833jon, S2dicky, quattrojames and 1 other person
Nice work, looks a whole lot better!

I had hoped lamp and bulb holder etc would all be in there just waiting for a bulb, but I guess I was a little optimistic with that!

Not a huge amount to report as I've been busy. I appear to have won the battle with the DVLA over the private plate from a SORN vehicle, today I received the new V5 for the A6 with the private plate on it, so I'm pleased about that. I still have the plates so I'm just waiting for the MOT and VEL to come and I'll be sorted! :yes:

The X-Treme Vision bulbs are better... than the standard bulbs I pulled out which are probably 10+ years old.... but I'm far from overwhelmed. I paid £18 which is fine, but rrp is £30 in which case I'd feel a bit cheated. I wonder how much better halogen bulbs from Ring or PIAA are?

Next week I'm going to finally swap the CTS and thermostat and hopefully I'll get to see 90c on the gauge at last!

Other than that, I picked up some OEM C5 roofbars, here they are next to the OEM B6 one's and it's surprising how much bigger they are!

Looking great james,what a difference the RS6 alloys make................love dark wheels on any car:salute:

i'll be in touch friday about the rear light unit so keep my name on it:thumbsup:

Reactions: quattrojames
car is looking good, some very nice touches...

Where can I get the sticker set for the climate control, mine is the same way and I need it fixed! :lol:

I tried to order off eBay but the seller tried to con me by not sending them out... is there anywhere else?!?

thanks, that's a very kind offer... I'm not sure how to PM on tappadappadingdongtalk though....

I'll be back on my computer Monday, I'll PM you then, thanks again.

I'm also after the climate/radio sticker set and had an annoying eBay experience trying to order, as op said, is there another source?

Ps keeping OT, I have the same audi roof rack bars and find they stuck out an awful lot. Will cut them down slightly when there's time...

Recieved my stickers today Wesmaster, thanks...

And loved the note, I agree... no-one like scabby white bits! lol

the car buttons are pretty bad too mind you..... ;-)

Not had a chance to put them on yet - don't want to rush it...

But... just by looking at them - yes it will be!

Thanks again

Hey received mine too, many many thanks, will fit em as soon I'm off this current roller coaster of work...

Everyone's happy then :o.k:

Finally got the temp gauge up to 90c! It took a second CTS and a new thermostat but we're there now, it's potentially psychological, but as a result the car seems to run smoother and quieter as a result.... I hope it will boost the mpg a bit as that had dropped under 40 (I'm never going to break any records in that dept due to the type of driving I do.)

The private plates went on, but I should have waited till I had the correct adhesive really, so the front one at least will need doing again. A 'tidier' plate improves the car I think, will update some pics when I sort the front plate and it's clean.

I got to the bottom of the dirty sill. The door blades have an inbuilt runner seal, obviously the Allroad one that I fitted has this missing. You would never know unless you held them side by side, but it's function is quite important! It seems to be built in to the blade, so I will have to further examine that as the dirty sill is a real pain.

This weeks purchase HAS to be new wiper blades... I'm thinking these as I have a 30% off code:

Bosch Audi Aerotwin Flat Wiper Blade Set A016S | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Can you post me a link to the eBay ones please, ECP won't let me use my paypal balance.

Thanks, ECP seem to spec the Bosch A016S set for my car, but the mounting points on the blades look different that mine do. These are them from eBay:

Bosch AeroTwin Windscreen Wiper Blades Kit A016S 3397009016 ID19 | eBay

Your seller doesn't list them at all in his shop.

I think I will need to take a blade in somewhere and match it or I'll end up with the wrong set I expect. I don't know why Aero blades are so hard to buy!

the whole clip pivots forward, and opens to show the 'normal' style bit, it slides in then clips back in place..

I can take a picture of mine if you want on the screen...?

Personally, I wouldn't use Bosch A016s I found them to smear and make a lot of noise.

Personally, I wouldn't use Bosch A016s I found them to smear and make a lot of noise.

What can you recommend?

the whole clip pivots forward, and opens to show the 'normal' style bit, it slides in then clips back in place..

I can take a picture of mine if you want on the screen...?

They sound like mine, don't worry too much I'll just go in somewhere and try and match them I think, thanks. Mine are the original arms as far as I know so hopefully it won't be too complicated!

Reactions: S2dicky
Any more pics of your car? It looks spot on. I'm tempted to change my a4 out for a 2.5 tdi A6 Avant and yours isn't helping me be sensible :)