Randomly Changing Presets

DaveM

Reaction score
Apologies for repeating this query here but I’m assuming the A4 has a similar cockpit to the A5.

Recently, particularly when starting from cold, I’ve noticed that if I press one of the 8 preset buttons on the centre console, they continue to change randomly. They appear on the MMI screen and although nothing actually changes, it’s as if each button is being pressed in a random manner.

The car is clearly still under warranty and I will have to take it to a dealer if it persists. I’m wondering if this is an isolated case or more widespread?

Have it as well. Has been investigated, not absolute fix, was thought to be kinked wiring but still randomly pops up fro time to time.

Reactions: DaveM
This is what it does.

Yes, that”s exactly the same. Really annoying if you’re trying to use the satnav, as the button remain on the screen and obscure the map. Have you had a dealer look at it?

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Glad I never got that.
You sure you don't have it? Oz spec S4's do and I've noticed our standard specs are not only comprehensive (and we do pay for them) but much similar to Euro spec.
In saying that, we rarely use MMI, although annoyingly find the radio suddenly coming on, as prefer listening to the tailpipes in stereo.

Last edited:
You sure you don't have it? Oz spec S4's do and I've noticed our standard specs are not only comprehensive (and we do pay for them) but much similar to Euro spec.
In saying that, we rarely use MMI, although annoyingly find the radio suddenly coming on, as prefer listening to the tailpipes in stereo.

@SMI77 , sorry, I meant glad I never got that... FAULT :)

Late to the thread, and appreciate must be annoying, but do think it's quite cool that the button layout on the MMI display matches the physical layout - i.e. in the video it's obviously from a car with an auto box - the MMI with a manual box shows 2 columms of 4 buttons rather than 1 row of 8.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Didn’t know that.

Gents,

2016 Audi A4 here, having this issue, it’s super frustrating… has anyone found a solution or even a cause yet? I’ve seen your video WesT-geful, and it’s pretty much identical to yours. Same MMI layout, same issue. Any luck?

Gents,

2016 Audi A4 here, having this issue, it’s super frustrating… has anyone found a solution or even a cause yet? I’ve seen your video WesT-geful, and it’s pretty much identical to yours. Same MMI layout, same issue. Any luck?

No luck yet. It’s still does it. Sometimes it helps to get the dust out but it’s a design flaw. I’m going to take mine in soon .

What you can do in the interim is get a can of air, air duster and spray in between the gaps. Also video the issue to show your dealer

2019 Audi A4, Has the exact same issue. In my case, always number 7 shortcut keep popping up on MMI. Please let me know if someone found a solution for this issue.

Reactions: GJB20202016A4
2018 S5 Sportback, having the same issue. In my case it is number 4 getting pressed randomly after the cold start.

Reactions: GJB20202016A4
2018 S5 Sportback, having the same issue. In my case it is number 4 getting pressed randomly after the cold start.
Hello mate.
Me too, I have found compressed air suppresses the fault as mentioned by the chap above, I can only assume over time it’s a build up of rubbish which causes the contacts to act as if there’s a finger hovering on them.