Random spacers/ wheel bolts question

Manlikefunk

Reaction score
Hi. I bought some 15mm spacers for the rear wheels on my A3. 20mm clearance so this was about as much as I could get away with. Got them from a shop that’s well trusted on here who assured me that the 40mm bolts included would be long enough of an extension on the standard bolt length to secure the wheels to the hub safely.

Anyway I also had to buy some extended locking bolts too so bought some bimecc ones, also supposedly 40mm (they’re labelled as such on the packaging), however when they’ve just turned up they’re more like 41mm. I know it’s not much of a difference but I’ve been advised that if any bolts are longer than the other ones then they need to be cut down -to achieve the same level of torque I’m assuming .

So does small length difference matter hugely, does 1mm make much of a difference?

Thanks

Yes 1 mm ok. If they were too long the bolts would stick out the back of the wheel hub and foul the suspension, so the whEel would not rotate.

Thanks.

last question: I thought the oem bolt length was 25mm, but just realised they’re 27 or 28mm. But the 15mm H&R spacers only come with 40mm length bolts, which is surely 2/3mm too short, no?

Still not a problem, the supplier would have supplied the correct length bolts to match up the spacers on Audi hubs. To be sure, fit one set and measure the amount one of the bolts screws into the hub. Measure the depth of the bolt hole and make sure the bolt screws in the same depth.