Random Boot Opening when locked

cptjay

Reaction score
Locked car last night, placing keys in a drawer in the hallway.

Checked car was locked before bed. It was.

Woke up at 7am to neighbours knocking on door, asking if we knew our boot was wide open.

Checked myaudi app... no alerts triggered for alarm, no history for unlocking via app, also "tailgate is closed" is now unticked.

Anyone else experience the boot randomly opening when car is locked?.. with no alarm, no alerts, etc?

There has been a few occurrences for this with some have been caused by the keys being in a pocket of tight clothing, however this doesn't appear to be the case in yours.
Have you got the foot waving sensor if so I believe, in the USA, there was a firmware update for this but you'd think a later car would already have the latest software.

If you have or know someone with obdeleven eleven you can increase the time on the remote press to avoid accidental pressing

If you have or know someone with obdeleven eleven you can increase the time on the remote press to avoid accidental pressing
This is what I referred to, however, according to cptjay, there could not have been an accidental pressing of the key...

This is what I referred to, however, according to cptjay, there could not have been an accidental pressing of the key...
Fair enough just proves I can’t multi task while on a conference call

Reactions: cuke2u
Could you have inadvertently pressed it between locking the car and putting key in your drawer? I’ve done it once or twice after locking with key in my pocket but thankfully saw it had opened after getting into the house, presumed I’d just pressed it whilst in my pocket....damn these skinny jeans! :glee:

If you have the keyless entry, could something trigger the foot sensor, like a cat underneath the back bumper?

I found with mine that the slightest touch of the button on the remote opened my boot lid so I have used my OBDeleven to increase the time pressed required to 2 seconds to stop that happening again. If you had lived near me I would have happily done the same for you but Britol is a fair old distance from Scotland unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies.

There was no inadvertent pressing of the button (keys were in a drawer and untouched).

Checked car was locked before bed, it was... Woke up to find boot unlocked.

No foot sensor, no keyless entry, no key pressing, no alerts on audi app, no alarm, ... just decided to open itself!

Anything taken or disturbed? I would have assumed inadvertent button press as well as I've done that myself. If you are certain that is not the case then maybe a relay attack? Might be worth speaking to your local police station to see if there have been any such incidents in your area and if so, store the keys in the microwave (but put a big post-it on the front to remind you where they are!)

I hide the keys away in a drawer overnight, out of sight and away from the front door, so definitely no inadvertent press. They were undisturbed all night.

Nothing taken from car although a couple of items from the boot found their way onto the front lawn. That is strange in itself.

Will research the relay attack... Many thanks

Lets hope you aren't a victim of this kind of crime, and lets hope the items were just blown out of the boot by the wind. Unfortunately with any kind of remote entry, not necessarily advanced key, any car can be vulnerable to attack. Depends upon where you live really because I haven't had this happen in the ten years I have had keyless.
However smart you are with the keys they will always find a way and if you make it more difficult, and not wishing to scare you in any way, then there is the likelihood they will come after you or your family for the keys.

Certainly if it happens again for no reason I would be off to the dealership as I have heard of this occurring before.

Thanks cuke.

I will be watching for it to happen again, for sure, and straight to the dealer if it does.

Don’t suppose you have cctv to track back what happened ?

I don't... moved house recently and not got round to reinstalling it yet.

I don't... moved house recently and not got round to reinstalling it yet.
I’d at least get onto installing one at least where the car will be parked.
Think all cctv units have a a setting them when it sees something it also records the previous 5 seconds or so.
Just a thought

I had this happen to me the other week luckily I caught it on my cctv 3AM in the morning ... got up for a pee in the night and heard the motion sensor at the garage gone off in the house checked cctv and the boot had opened completely and the car had unlocked completely naturally I could get back to sleep thinking all sorts !! I’d load the video but it only seems to let me put up pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mojo555
I had this happen to me the other week luckily I caught it on my cctv 3AM in the morning ... got up for a pee in the night and heard the motion sensor at the garage gone off in the house checked cctv and the boot had opened completely and the car had unlocked completely naturally I could get back to sleep thinking all sorts !! I’d load the video but it only seems to let me put up pictures

you could if you wanted to upload to youtube, im sure there are other ways though

I’d at least get onto installing one at least where the car will be parked.
Think all cctv units have a a setting them when it sees something it also records the previous 5 seconds or so.
Just a thought

I will do... My cctv has this feature so will be good to see if it happens again.

Reactions: rasA4

Interesting I'm not the only one then... Great security Audi, well done!

Did the OP ever get to the bottom of this? Had the car over 2 years now and it's never happened to me until this last week where it's happened 3 times.

Hi.

Happened to me twice, once at home (with keys hidden away in a drawer), and once at work (where keys again could not be accidentally activated).

Told Audi and they gave me the usual guff of "there is no issues"..... "must have been an inadvertent key press". etc.

Both times there has been no alarm activation, no audi app alert. Opening the app after discovering the boot is unlocked and the "boot locked" just goes to unticked, but rest of car stays as locked. Weird.

So, no, not got to the bottom of it.....

Reactions: BigAardvaark
Hopefully mine were just "tight trouser presses", I have been eating all the pies recently.... Will try not putting keys in pocket for a while.

Thanks for the super rapid reply!

When I first got my car I found that almost the slightest press of the key caused the boot to open which, as I mentioned in post #10 above, I stopped by using my OBDeleven to increase the key press time to 2 seconds. It has never happened since.

Which is weird **** the two years and four months of ownership mine has never exhibit this issue...