Ramps / Trolley Jack suggestions

jungle650

Reaction score
Hi.. I am looking to purchase some suitable ramps and potentially a trolley jack for my S3. As the S3 is pretty low I know it wont go up most standard metal ramps without some improvisation ( slabs/ blocks of wood etc). Not a route I want to take...Also I note most ramps are not wide enough for the 225 tyres or wider.

1) So looking for some suggestions of low entry wide ramps that can be purchased in the UK so that I can work under the car quickly and ofcourse safely.

- one option I have seen is - Race Ramps?

2) Looking for suggestions on either Axel stands or Trolley jack to then add support for safety etc.?

- one option is Clarke 2.25 Tonne Trolley Jack CTJ2250LP which won the Auto Express review. ?

What do you guys use and how easy is your item/s to use?

Thx v much.
Jungle

I've always & for years used standard tripod jacks, with foldable legs, with an aluminium race jack 1.5T, you can buy hockey pucks with cutouts already in situ to go around the chassis creases, thus no damage on the undersides, not failed me thus far.

Thx.. Lots of reading there. Think I am OK with the potential jacking points and some ideas beyond what I have already seen for a Jack.

Still not 100% sure on Axel Stand points for the front of the car though?

Also ...Anyone using ramps, no suggestions ??

Thx

I see no issues with stands for the front, done this hundreds of times, never had an issue, taken all safety precautions, touch wood, all good.

Can you guys pls clarify the place where Axel stands are put underneath the car at the front. (After car is jacked up with trolley jack using a grooved puck) Glancing through the threads and searching google its still not crystal clear. Subframe ?? If anyone has some pics that would be great. Thank you.

Tried out the new Trolley jack today and Axle stands.

Jacked up using the trolley jack and the jacking points under the car that are listed in the hand book and others on here have used.

I bought a puck but the trolley jack that I purchased has a relatively small cup size so didnt need it.

I must admit I spent a fair amount of time deliberating on the best place for the stands as it deff not obvious where they should really go under an S3 .

In the end I placed them under the subframe as shown in pic: I kept the trolley jack in place and also doubled up putting the Audi jack the other side !!

Where do others put their axle stands? In the same place ?

Thx

Yes the same place, on the subframe casting.

DtOG44c.jpg
Sorry to drag up an oldish topic but is this point suitable to hold the vehicles weight in the absence of a trolley jack on the lifted side? I need to lift the front up but only have the one trolley jack as the other packed up a few weeks back, haven't got a new one yet and need to do the work this week. Have two axle stands and am wondering whether a jack and stand one side and a stand the other is sufficient?

Sorry to drag up an oldish topic but is this point suitable to hold the vehicles weight in the absence of a trolley jack on the lifted side? I need to lift the front up but only have the one trolley jack as the other packed up a few weeks back, haven't got a new one yet and need to do the work this week. Have two axle stands and am wondering whether a jack and stand one side and a stand the other is sufficient?

If you place the axle stands under the subframe then yes, they will be fine. The spot is shown in the photos, but when you jack the car up you can see the strongest parts quite easily, especislly when referenced against photos.

You can always use the Audi jack from the boot as an additional lifting device. Lifting at the jacking points obviously not subframe.

Most people only have 1 trolley jack. I used 2 axle stands a trrolley Jack and the Audi jack, it was overkill but I felt safer knowing there were 4 points of contacr holding the front up. 2 axke stands under subframe and a jack either side on the jacking points. Sorted.

Reactions: Wondering Soul
Thanks for that. Will get the Audi Jack out as well I think, I like having peace of mind!