Ramair vs K&N filter ?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Do these really make a difference?

You can either pay £45.00 for a K&N or the Ramair/Pipercross for £32.00

Lots of people saying the throttle response feels better, and also its washable so I never have to buy another filter again.

Anyone used these?

Seems good value if you buy the Ramair one as you dont have to buy a filter every year.

I am not expecting a +40bhp, but every little helps.

Don’t bother.

all these performance filters do is let more crapp through right into the turbo.

more air = less filtration

Even the proper cold air filters that attach to the MAF ?
The proper cold air ones are 180.00 which seems like a bargain for the kit.

Do these really make a difference?

You can either pay £45.00 for a K&N or the Ramair/Pipercross for £32.00

Lots of people saying the throttle response feels better, and also its washable so I never have to buy another filter again.

Anyone used these?

Seems good value if you buy the Ramair one as you dont have to buy a filter every year.

I am not expecting a +40bhp, but every little helps.
No difference other than noisier intake and less filtration.

Well it seems they dont really do cold air intake for TDI's as it seems they tend to let more air in than petrols.

I think I will just stick with a APR or Revo map and leave it at that, well until the clutch goes LOL then buy a Sachs

Well it seems they dont really do cold air intake for TDI's as it seems they tend to let more air in than petrols.

I think I will just stick with a APR or Revo map and leave it at that, well until the clutch goes LOL then buy a Sachs
Diesels run on excess air anyways. Just change stock panel filter regularly, its the best for your engine and the cheapest option

Diesels run on excess air anyways. Just change stock panel filter regularly, its the best for your engine and the cheapest option

Are all the panel filters the same?
I have only used Mann or Mahle, I assume I am not going to get anything better than those for more air?

Had them all over the years cone panel you name it loads of induction noise but no performance gain:blackrs4:

So a bit pointless then.
Spend an extra £250.00 for no gains and more noise

Thanks all.

Going to get the car mapped in the new year and will just leave it at that. I cant see any other way of improving HP.

I think my next car is going to be a RWD or Quattro as you cannot do a lot with a FWD car due to the torque and wheel spin.

Funny thing is you can get the same induction noise by putting not many holes in the airbox .

You drill several 5mm holes pre air filter on a cooler wing and front sides .

Unlike what this idiot has done , lol .

Images 3

Stick with a stock air filter. Mann are ghood. OE air filter solutions are pretty good these days. Unless you are making substantial increases in power the stock filter is good. One thing I wouldn't worry about going for a performance air filter on a diesel is the extra dirt that may find it's way in.
With the amount of EGR recycling that is done in modern diesels there is a significant amount of sooty exhaust gas taken in by the engine.

The more expensive (traditional paper filters) might have more folds meaning that the air is sucked in across a bigger surface area. I looked at a lot over the years and in my view Mann or Mahle are the best. Ferrari use traditional paper filters!

If they are good enough for +250,000 super cars then they are good enough for my Audi LOL

Thanks all, really appreciate the advice, will stick with the OEM ones

On a diesel engine - no, on a petrol engine, they do, but on a very minimal level and will probably require a custom map or a map tweak (if you have an existing map) to make use of the tiny little bit of increased airflow. Its hardly worth it tbh.

I got around 4bhp increase on my Impreza swapping from an OEM paper filter to a Ramair one..and tbh those sorts of gains can be had or lost on a sunny day over a cold moist day. Still, ever little helps when you are chasing numbers.

Yeah I dont think its going to help much really. I was maybe just hoping for a little throatier sound than a typical diesel, not boy racer type, just a little better sound.
I dont think I would be able to go above 200bhp on a FWD anyway due to the front spinning due to torque.

Yeah I dont think its going to help much really. I was maybe just hoping for a little throatier sound than a typical diesel, not boy racer type, just a little better sound.
I dont think I would be able to go above 200bhp on a FWD anyway due to the front spinning due to torque.

Have you thought about just getting a new car? :wink new:

I would but can't justify a 3-4k increase from a A3 FWD to quattro.
Got my 2014 A3 2.0 for a steal, 5k, but the cheapest quattro was nearly 9k for the same year.

I would but can't justify a 3-4k increase from a A3 FWD to quattro.
Got my 2014 A3 2.0 for a steal, 5k, but the cheapest quattro was nearly 9k for the same year.

I meant it more that you post lots of questions about changing lots of stuff and bits that are missing from yours...I thought maybe just buying a different car might solve it all!

Lol it would indeed,
I am just adding as I go as couldn't afford like 9k in one go. I only had 5.5k from my golf write off and it was a 2012, so I was happy when I got a more powerful and newer audi for the same price.
Im just customising it to my taste.