Raising my coilovers... will the handling be effected?

Compkiler

Reaction score
Im going to have my AP coilovers raised about 1-2 inches this weekend. By raising the coilovers, will this have any detrimental effects on the handling or ride?
At the moment, the ride is unbearable and i absolutely hate it! Its crashy as hell and without spending another load of cash, i really dont know what to do!

Raising it will make them more "comfortable" however having owned AP's before they are quite comfortable anyway? How low is it currently?

It certainly isn't going to ruin the handling.

In what way do you find them 'crashy'?

I had AP's on my A3 as low as possible and they were pretty comfy.

2 inches is a lot thats 50mm, raising a car will raise it's centre of gravity so will cause the car to roll more but a small change wouldn't be noticeable. I would imagine 2 inches would though. How low is it at the moment ?? .

karl.

Ill take some pictures tomorrow! Where exactly do i measure it from though to be more precise?
Hopefully you will be able to tell from jus the photos though!
When i say crashy, i mean when i go over a slight bump it feels like the suspension is bottoming out or makes a slight thud noise! Going round corners though is fine!
2 people in the back and i can hear a slight rubbing/grating noise from the rear.
Go over a speed bump at say 8mph and the front drops and wallows back up.

Sounds just like the standard suspension tbh! lol!

Sounds like the dampers are past their best. Maybe leaking and that's why they are bottoming out and feeling crashy.

Lifting it might highlight the fact. If the dampers are gone then it will feel soft and still crashy over bumps.

Coilovers are firm but reasonably comfortable unless they are right at the bottom of their height adjustment.

They are comfortable, but extremly crashy! There only 5 months old!

I find it strange your having issues with them, mine are near enough a year old and wound as far down as possible and still get none of the issue you are having.

You might be hitting the bumpstops which is causing the crashiness

It's when I go over small bumps, not speed bumps so to speak. Small harsh bits of uneven road.

If I go over a speed bump, the suspension is extremly soft and feels like the front end goes down and then wallows back up!
Feels like I'm using nearly all the Travel if Ya see what I mean?

Yeah I understand, could be that your hitting the bumptops then.

Try raising it 10-20mm before cutting any bumpstops, and see if it stops.

If it does, then you could always try and trim the bumpstops if you still want to remain at your current height. If it's been hitting there should be a sign of any contact on top or under the bumpstops where they have taken the weight of the car.