1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Rain Sensor

pburv Jan 18, 2016

1. pburv

pburv Registered User

Hi All.
    I am in the process of retro fitting Auto Dim rear view mirror .
    Whilst taking the back off the existing mirror I noticed that there are wires already connected to a rain sensor on the windscreen..
    The question I am asking is it just a matter of coding the car via vcds to activate auto wipers??
    My car is not fitted with auto wipers or lights..
    Cheers Paul :chuncky:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Rob2k68

Rob2k68 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Hmm good result that the sensors there !! - you'll need the light switch and wiper stalk too I would have thought to get both working best person to help is @DJAlix or @NHN

pburv likes this.
  4. pburv

pburv Registered User

Cheers Rob.
    I was more interested in getting the Auto mirror fitted Just thought coding the car for Auto wipers was a simple and cheap mod considering I thought that the sensor was already there..
    I wonder if all A3/S3 models have the sensors fitted from factory?

5. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Are you sure what you have is a rain sensor and not just a humidity sensor, which is fitted as standard with Auto Climate Control? Rain sensors normally only come fitted it you have factory Auto Lights / Wipers. Best way to tell:
    • Load up VCDS
    • Run an Auto Scan and see if "RLFS" shows up under your 09 Cent Elect details.
    or
    • Load up VCDS.
    • Select 09 Cent Elect
    • Select Long Coding
    • From the Drop Down box in the pop up see if you can select RLFS

RLFS = Rain Light and Humidity Sensor (8U0-955-559-B)

No stalk needed for Auto Wipers & Lights, just a new light switch with an Auto position.

Rob2k68 and pburv like this.
  6. pburv

pburv Registered User

Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to vcds As to whether it is a humidity sensor or rain sensor I wouldn't have a clue..
    This is a picture of the back of the sensor....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the poor picture quality...

7. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Pictures are not showing up :(

8. pburv

pburv Registered User

Oh! Not sure why that is..They show up on my computer??
    Any ideas as to why??
    So Sorry:concern:

9. DJAlix

No worries. This is a photo of a Humidity Sensor. You might be able to make out some part / reference numbers from yours to match up to this one. DO NOT remove yours in order to see. Although held in with a metal clip it's also secured by a gel pad which secures it against the windscreen, which is single use only and will 10000000000% need to be replaced if damaged.

Attached Files:

pburv likes this.
  10. pburv

pburv Registered User

OOPs I did remove it today??
    How will I know if it's damaged??:sadlike:

11. DJAlix

Did you see a circle of gel stuck to the windscreen when you did, and if so was it damaged in anyway?

To be honest you would prolly be ok if you only have a humidity sensor as the "sensor" part is on the lower section and not the main body. If fitting a rain sensor then you will need a new one as there needs to be a solid and clear bond to the screen for proper operation.

Edit: The white'ish dot on my sensor body is a reflection. Infact... I just thought of another identification method. Look at the sensor from outside your car and through the windscreen. If you can see a clear / glass LED type dot on the lower section of the circle then you have an RLFS.

Attached Files:

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. pburv

pburv Registered User

Cheers DJAlix.
    No I don't have the extra clear dot on the windscreen..
    Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.Thanks for clarifying what that component is.Looks like I will need to buy an extra cable from Kufatec to enable the Auto Dim mirror...:friends:

14. DJAlix

I did the same :) Just waiting on weather to get a little better before installing.

Attached Files:

15. pburv

pburv Registered User

Can I be a bit cheeky and ask how are you going to wire it up??
    Could you possibly put up a wiring diagram??
    Oh! and what part number the cable is...:whistle2:
    Cheers mate...

16. DJAlix

Sure. Part Numbers in the photo :)

To install I was gonna follow the official Audi workshop diagrams. Will post up a dropbox link later.

Attached Files:

pburv likes this.
  17. pburv

pburv Registered User

Your a star DJAlix....
    [​IMG]

DJAlix likes this.
  18. DJAlix

19. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User

Blackwhite and pburv like this.
  20. pburv

pburv Registered User

21. Johrul

Johrul Registered User

Hey ladies and gents I really need some help please and will appreciate any thing you guys can help me with. I have a 65 plate Audi A3 saloon sline. I have the climate control sensor already installed and the dimming rear view mirror. I want to retrofit the ligh/rain sensor on my own aswell as the coding using VCDS. Please tell me which parts I will need. Rain sensor, light switch with auto option and 2 front fog light buttons . Will I need anything else a wiring loom? And gel pad?

22. Johrul

Johrul Registered User

Also how do I wire the the new light switch is there anything extra needed for the auto switch and also how do I take the light switch out correctly.please will appreciate your help

23. CB98

CB98 Registered User

I don’t have auto headlights but when I go into a tunnel or it’s dark outside the lights on my dials dim down. I guess there must be a light sensor fitted. Would I be able to get auto headlights activated by simply changing the switch?

24. DJAlix

Interior ambient lighting is controlled via a sensor located within your instrument cluster. This sensor cannot be used for Auto Lights and Wipers.