Rain Sensor faulty?

TurboBen

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the rain sensor useless?

It works for about 20 seconds and then stops dead. It does eventually come back to life for a bit, but I've usually had to override it by that point because I can't see where I'm going.

Car's been at the dealership for something else today and asked them to look at it. I got a video sent to me telling me to put the switch in the right position. I don't know whether to laugh or be insulted lol

Reactions: Scottyg, SW14NY'S and Rob2k68
Have you put any rain repelant on the windscreen?...if you have or not, try wiping over the sensor with a good window cleaner or vinegar and this may sort it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scottyg
Sounds odd as mine is excellent, no problem at all. Very accurate and much much better than the BMW I had. Can't complain so maybe it is a bit broke or like above it needs a good clean.

Hope you get it sorted out

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Is it just me or is the rain sensor useless?

It works for about 20 seconds and then stops dead. It does eventually come back to life for a bit, but I've usually had to override it by that point because I can't see where I'm going.

Car's been at the dealership for something else today and asked them to look at it. I got a video sent to me telling me to put the switch in the right position. I don't know whether to laugh or be insulted lol
I don't wish to insult your intelligence, but you do know you can change how sensitive they are when they are set to the on position don't you? :)

Reactions: Scottyg and pburv
Has the screen been replaced? If it has, the sensor may need recalibration. They work on refraction and the refractive quality of screens can be slightly different (albeit invisible to the human eye). Even if the original screen, it may be worth asking the dealer if they recalibrated it as it may have been 'out' from new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv
Has the screen been replaced? If it has, the sensor may need recalibration. They work on refraction and the refractive quality of screens can be slightly different (albeit invisible to the human eye). Even if the original screen, it may be worth asking the dealer if they recalibrated it as it may have been 'out' from new.

I retro fitted auto dim mirror on my car and when I pulled the sensor off I noticed it had a clear gel sticky pad holding it in place.I was told by Ash187 that these pads were a once use only item and need replacing once moved...Is it possible that this pad needs replacing??

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Hi guys, thanks for the replys. The car is 8 months old and has had nothing changed or replaced. It's always been like that, I just assumed the rain sensor was a bit rubbish. I know the wiper stalk needs to be in the first position above "off", and adjusting the dial on the top has no effect, other than to change the sensitivity when it actually works properly for the first 20 seconds or so. I have it fully to the right, which I believe is the most sensitive setting. I've tried giving the screen a good clean where the sensor is, all I need now is a bit of rain to test it.

Reactions: SW14NY'S and pburv
Or a hosepipe :)

No - you need rain! A hose pipe (or watering can) will show if it works, but not if its correctly calibrated. The water from a hose pipe behaves very different to rain droplets.

Reactions: pburv
I shouldn't worry, it's summertime in the UK, it won't be long before it rains :)

Reactions: pburv and richinsoton
Well, had a bit of that really fine rain this morning on the way to work and the rain sensor worked perfectly.

Reactions: SW14NY'S and pburv