radio security code

bredhurststeve

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
I have an A4 1.8T 2000 which has the concert radio in it, i am now fitting a sony 6 disc changer in the boot and running the new cable and interface to the head unit but i have no security code for the radio,i bought the car last week from audi in stafford but they haven't a record of the code,as i live in kent it is a long way to go back,they say i can just go to my nearest audi dealer and they will get the code!! HOW?? is there an easy way of plugging the interface in without losing the memory?,any help would be appreciated

Steve, check the label for the dealer where your car was originally sourced. Call them up, they should be able to supply you with the code.

I had to do this, but they wanted a faxed copy of the first page of the service book as proof that I had the car. Fair enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Steve, is the dealer in Stafford the same one that supplied the car from new? That's what I meant by "originally sourced", but re-reading it I can see that wasn't very clear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If they are then it might be worth bypassing the salesman and going straight to the service department, they're more likely to know if it can be obtained.

Mark,spoke to Stafford today and they told me that they were a different company and used new pc's which dis'nt contain all the data but they were very helpfull.have spoken to local dealer and am taking car down next week to give them serial code and they fax hq and get sent the security code.but i have to get pins to take unit out because they will charge me if they do it so have ordered some off the web,will let you all know the outcome soon

Any news buddy as i bought an A6 at the auction last week with no service history etc and no service book, left the car with the mechanic and now he told me he had to jump start it and the radio is saying SAFE on the display, i have nt got a clue where the car came from originally and am gutted, will audi be able to help?

i'm also upgrading the CD changer for my concert HU, and like you I didn't have the radio code. I rang the local audi dealer and gave them all the serial numbers, then popped down there with some proof of ownership and collected the code.

BUT after all that it turned out I didn't need it - I unplugged the HU for a few minutes and it didn't even need the code when I plugged it back in! Suppose this might be the short length of time it was disconnected...

Hi this is adead easy thing to sort out.

go to your nearest Audi dealer with some proof you own they car - V5, invoice, fax from selling dealer etc. etc.

They just pop the radio out a couple of inches and take the serial number off the top of it. Pop it back in and fax a from off to Audi HQ. Then audi HQ fax them back within 1 hour with the code, which you then put in adnw rite down for next time you need it!

My dealer did it for free and it is no probs becasue rather than hang about they rang be when Audi got back to them with the code. The dealer who sold you the car should know this tell him to pull his finger out and get in touch with Audi for you, put if he doesn't have the radio serial number he can't do it.

[ QUOTE ]
comdw said:

BUT after all that it turned out I didn't need it - I unplugged the HU for a few minutes and it didn't even need the code when I plugged it back in! Suppose this might be the short length of time it was disconnected...

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the manual if the radio is on the original car it will have coded the car details onto the radio and will not need to have the code reentered when re-fitted to that car. there4 you will only need the radio code if you transfer it to a different car (or someone else already has)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nobby said:
According to the manual if the radio is on the original car it will have coded the car details onto the radio and will not need to have the code reentered when re-fitted to that car. there4 you will only need the radio code if you transfer it to a different car (or someone else already has)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, when upgrading my mates Concert HU, we had to enter the code each time we unplugged it, at that it the original HU with the original car. I don't think they're that clever.