radio reception

N17ELE

Reaction score
Hi.
I have a C6. is not picking up the stations that it normally was, it sounds like no aerial ?? I have the saloon version. I have read about an amplifier ?? What is the problem and how do I correct the problem.
Same thing has just happened on my mk 2 TT convertible :-(

Check if the amplifier and aerial connections are fine, not corroded or if there is no moisture around.

Thanks for the quick reply. The car is very dry since kept in garage 90% of time. I will check, but where is the amplifier ? is it in left hand side of the boot ? If so what does it look like?
Thanks

At the top of the rear screen there trim panel you access the module form there. These have been know to get damaged over time, and the board in the module cracks. Get the part number and get a replacement unit off ebay.

Thanks
How do I get at it ? There is the rear brake light there, do I need to remove that ?

That's great . Thanks for taking the time. I will update if and when sorted

Reactions: KrisKrk
That link is for an avant, the OP needs a saloon version, and there are different versions depending MMI Basic, MMI High, MMI 2G & MMI3G and if TV is installed. The best way to get the correct part number is to get it off the faulty module.

Thanks all.
I have been trying to remove the panel at back of the roof. It is so tight !! afraid to break it.

warm it up before you remove it, less damage to cold & brittle plastic just use a hair dryer.

Still trying to remove the panel. I think they must have built the car around it !

eventually removed the panel ! It was very tight. Ordered one off ebay , it was part number 4F5 035 225 L
I will update once installed.
Thanks for help

Fitted the replacement, but still not picking up stations that were previously available/ Any ideas ??
Thanks

Most common failure on the radio is the aerial, after that it could be the rear window or the radio module it's self, best find someone local with VCDS to see if there are any fault codes.

Thanks for the quick reply, my car does not have a visible aerial, does it use the heated rear windscreen. Could I try fitting a fin aerial ?

No that won't work, the radio module needs to communicate to the aerial module. if you tried after market one you will most likely just get open circuit errors on the radio module. Also Audi's fin aerial are for GPS & phone, they don't have any FM fin aerials.

Great news. All sorted. I read on this forum that someone had the same problem that was caused by a Griffin USB socket installed in the cigarette lighter. I realised that I had fitted these sockets in both my TT and the A6. Both cars were having the same problem with the radio reception. I did not link fitting these to a problem with the reception. I took them out and all back to normal. I also had one installed in my caravan and was having trouble with the TV reception. Again after removing these pieces of c**p all working ok. I assume that they are copies since purchased of ebay.
Thanks for all the advice .