Radio Intermittent Operation

Gray S

Reaction score
I have had intermittent radio operation at times ever since collection. My B9 S4 certainly does not receive DAB signals as well as my previous B8.5 S4, it can loose signal two or three times on a local journey when my B8.5 never lost signal anywhere! This seems to happen when on DAB and DAB/FM, I thought it should switch to FM if the DAB signal is lost? However, the radio also sometimes stops although a signal is still shown, this normally happens when I need to concentrate on driving, but I finally tried changing to the next station which worked and then back to the original station which also then worked. Previously I've changed to SD card which works, but changing back to radio normally didn't work. I can just imagine the response I'll get if I take it into my local dealer! Anyone had anything similar, or any ideas?

I've noticed mine drops, but only for a few seconds so not too fussed really.

Around this time last year it was atmospheric conditions that affected all digital tv and radio transmittions due to the high pressure, rain humidity and mist or fog that existed.
Not stating it will be this for sure and it may well be worth getting your car checked to make sure there isn't a connection or aerial issue..

I’ve never had any issues with DAB but for the first time ever, when I got in the car this morning, all DAB channels said currently unavailable! After driving for 10 mins it sprang back to lift.

I’ve seen the same problem where the DAB channel stops playing and doesn’t seem to come back until I change channels. Having said that it’s been fine for the last couple of months.

I’ve never had any issues with DAB but for the first time ever, when I got in the car this morning, all DAB channels said currently unavailable! After driving for 10 mins it sprang back to lift.
I have had this on occasion too..

Thanks for the responses, glad its not just me. Not sure I can be bothered taking it to the local dealers just for this, last time I had an intermittent fault they wanted £99 to investigate - I knew the cure so didn't take them up on their offer! I've got a 600 mile trip this week so see how many times it occurs.

I've done about 700 miles this week, S Devon to Yorkshire & back, the radio stopped once but on changing station was OK again. It did not loose DAB signal once, although I've had it loose signal on a local journey several times in 8 miles, perhaps the local transmitter was playing up. I'll mention it at the first service next year, but I doubt if I will get an intelligent response.

Mine always drops on the M4 about 8 miles east of Swindon, for about 90 seconds - but every car I've driven on the M4 does...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I've used the M4 around Swindon a couple of times in my current B9 S4 and don't recall any drop of signal, my previous B8.5 S4 never had any drop of signal. It probably does depend on weather and it was good conditions on my recent trips past Swindon. Thinking about it, the time I had the signal drop several times on a local journey it was foggy, I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference with a modern car.
First world problems!

I've used the M4 around Swindon a couple of times in my current B9 S4 and don't recall any drop of signal, my previous B8.5 S4 never had any drop of signal. It probably does depend on weather and it was good conditions on my recent trips past Swindon. Thinking about it, the time I had the signal drop several times on a local journey it was foggy, I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference with a modern car.
First world problems!
I'll have to check exactly where, but we do London - Gloucestershire and back 5/6 times a year, and have a consistent 90 second deadspot on DAB about 3-4 miles east of J15, when listening to Virgin/Absolute/Radio X. Every time, both directions, in a B9 A4, a 15 plate A3, and a Golf.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I experience this too. I've had several BMW which picked up DAB everywhere in the area I live and my commute to work but the b9 cuts out in a number of places and often doesn't switch to FM.

You might need to adjust a mmi setting for that to happen. Page 272 of the manual suggests a setting switch to an alternative frequency. Personally, whilst I have some small dropouts, not really a life changing event ;-)

Further update on this thread ... having behaved itself for several months I’ve now had 4 or 5 occasions where the radio has just gone quiet and doesn’t come back unless I change channels. Each time this has happened it has been exactly on the hour. Sounds crazy, I know, but suggests it’s a software thing to me.

Noticed the "on the hour" thing myself a couple of times. As you say, switching between sorts it. It's rare for me though.

Can't say I have had this issue, if it is on the hour then it could be another 'carrier' interfering with the signal. Something that can often happen when the weather is very cold and/or 'moisty'. Or it could another electrically transmitted interference. I would remove anything from the car, such as a mobile phone or tablet and also note where this takes place..

I had it dropping the station again on Wednesday - on the A303 in the snow - changed station and then back to the original station and it was fine. It does not seem to be anything to do with signal strength, which causes the radio to stop occasionally. Next time it happens I'll look at the time.

Radio cut out again this morning at 9.44, so nothing to do with the time of day, changed station and back and OK since!

A bit of a random thought on this, possibly the radio detects a radio Traffic Alert but for some reason doesn’t switch to the station transmitting that? Or one isn’t set in settings?

I had a Saab many years ago and it would often cut out the FM radio just because another station was transmitting a TA, but it would not switch to that station and stayed in silence.

MCarda - good idea, but I was getting the local traffic alerts without any issues, so don't think that is the cause.
The radio on the S3 I had ten years ago used to cut out, I think they changed to head unit at least once to resolve the issue, plus ignition switch from memory, it went back several times. I'll probably mention it at the first service, but don't have much confidence in the local dealer identifying the cause and resolving it.

MCarda - good idea, but I was getting the local traffic alerts without any issues, so don't think that is the cause.
The radio on the S3 I had ten years ago used to cut out, I think they changed to head unit at least once to resolve the issue, plus ignition switch from memory, it went back several times. I'll probably mention it at the first service, but don't have much confidence in the local dealer identifying the cause and resolving it.

Fair enough, my suggestion was a long shot anyway, comparing the FM radio on my 1998 Saab to a 20 years newer DAB radio doesn’t really work, but who knows with tech these days...

Cut out again yesterday ... dead on 13:00. I don’t have travel bulletins enabled.

It cut out yesterday at 10.00, changed channel and back, no more cutting out in the 450 miles I did.

Reactions: cuke2u
I lost every last one of my DAB stations yesterday. I tried going back to factory settings for the radio only, within the MMI without success. I then did a hard reset (link below) and it worked like a charm. I retained all my other settings (shortcuts, Nav etc.) but got all DAB stations back (and more that I hadn’t seen previously). I never knew you could hard reset like this, and so simply.

Last edited:
The radio cut out again yesterday on a shortish journey. I've never lost the stations on the MMI, it just cuts out and returns when a station is selected. I've never done a hard reset, might be worth a try.

I lost every last one of my DAB stations yesterday. I tried going back to factory settings for the radio only, within the MMI without success. I then did a hard reset (link below) and it worked like a charm. I retained all my other settings (shortcuts, Nav etc.) but got all DAB stations back (and more that I hadn’t seen previously). I never knew you could hard reset like this, and so simply.

Actually this has been around for some time with other models and is referenced within the manual...

Reactions: BeagleKCH
Did a reset last weekend. Used car today for first time this week and radio stopped today at 10.00! Changed station and back worked again, or perhaps Audi limit the amount of Radio 2 I'm allowed to listen to!

My previous two Audis DAB were fine. The BMW issues just seem to be poor signal reception. I have had poor reception a few times - locations where previous Audis and other cars are fine - but the main issue is just stopping the selected radio station, which is OK when reselected.

Maybe yours has a fault or some hidden setting somewhere then as with both my Audi's they have been flawless. Have you actually approached the dealership yet?
Also, don't walk into the dealership with preconceived and negative ideas, be positive...

Last edited:
I try to stay away from my local dealer based on past experience! Cars going back six - seven times for the same minor fault before they found the cause, damaged wheels, leaving the drain plug lose after changing the oil, etc. I realise they can't always get it right, but the dealer we use for my wife's Focus I've even recommended on Honest John, so I'm not biased against dealers just wary of my local Audi dealer - I bought the car elsewhere but not taking it back a couple of hundred miles.
I'll wait until it needs a service, I'll probably get one done when it's a year old regardless of mileage.