Radiator fans

jshepturbo

Reaction score
Just thought I'd do abit of moaning...
The waterpump failed on my Turbo, it has been replaced at the garage and he has just told me the fans are not kicking in. After hooking up a live feed the fans still didn't work so they both need replacing. £140 for the large and £130 for the small and there is no way I'm paying that... I assumed it would be easy to source new fans but I can't seem to find them online. Any suggestions?? So far I owe the garage £400 so I am not happy!!! Pretty sure Im going to sell it soon after - I'm that ****** off with this supposidly new-ish trouble-free car. Grrrr.
Cheers all.

I take it you put a live and earth directly onto the fans? Its strange that they should have blown especially both of them?! Did the garage short them out when diagnosing the problem? There are various relays and fuses relating to the fans check all the obvious things first before paying for anything tho.

Thanks Ash.
Well I just got a call to say they tested the fans by connecting them directly and both didn't work, so I'm going to get the car back and look myself. To be honest I imagine the fans really have failed as this garage is good to me. I just wasn't happy with £270 for both as I have just traced them for £55 each!!! I HATE garages.

No fans could expliain the 2nd waterpump going in 3 months though.

Thanks Ash.
Well I just got a call to say they tested the fans by connecting them directly and both didn't work, so I'm going to get the car back and look myself. To be honest I imagine the fans really have failed as this garage is good to me. I just wasn't happy with £270 for both as I have just traced them for £55 each!!! I HATE garages.

No fans could expliain the 2nd waterpump going in 3 months though.

when you say the fan going, do you mean the fan leaking? or the fan breaking down internally? some fans have the plastic impellers that are prone to breaking down. Your very lucky tho, could have caused damage to the turbo or the engine itself. Didnt the temo gauge in the car say it was over heating?

The fans don't spin... ie no cooling. I think I've just been lucky as I haven't driven any big distance in it yet.
And yes the car did overheat in the heatwave we had in June when I wasn't driving. The penny has just dropped... I assume the waterpump gasket went as I have had no fans for the last few weeks.
Oh and yes I feel so lucky!!! Geez.

What annoys me is that for the price I paid for the car plus this work I could of had an S3... seriously.

all part of the joy of owning a car mate. Hope you get it sorted, keep us posted.

Not wanting to take this thread off-course, but do your radiator fans kick in pretty much straight away after you stop driving?

On my S3 they start up about a minute after I stop driving; I've only had the car a few weeks so I'm not an expert, but this seems quite quick compared to other cars I've had. Indicated temperatures seem fine though, always spot on 90 deg whilst driving.

No the fans don't kick in at all I just found out. They are being replaced as soon as I get round to it... I suspect head gasket too but we'll see.

Sorry jshepturbo, I understood your post, I was asking a general question to other forum users re when their fans kick in. Should've been clearer with my post :)blush:).