Radiator fans problems

aledenro0803

Reaction score
Hi, a month ago or so I posted about some overheating problems. We discovered that the fans were not working properly, they don’t start with the A/C nor in the first stage. The fans start only in the second stage around 103-106°C. We measured the electric signal for stage one and there isn’t a signal at all. We replaced the temperature sensor a couple months ago with an OEM one. Any chance someone has an idea what may be happening? I am already out of ideas of what may be causing the problem.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Just to add, the fans turn on when the key is in ignition position. Also the fans turn on after 10-15 seconds after starting the car, but when it starts to get to working temperature, they don’t start until stage 2.

Just to add, the fans turn on when the key is in ignition position. Also the fans turn on after 10-15 seconds after starting the car, but when it starts to get to working temperature, they don’t start until stage 2.

Have you checked the fan control module? any scans show anything up?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Fans are primarily controlled by the 3 pin switch in the radiator... this will do low speed at 96deg and high speed at 100 or so plus...

The fan controller will control the fan low speed if aircon is on or off...

With aircon on the fans will run on low speed constantly (controlled by fan controller) but will go to high speed if temps are 100 plus (overridden by fan switch)

With aircon off the fans are off until the fan switch intervenes... initially at 96deg slow speed and high speed at 100 plus is required

If you have fan issues its almost certainly an issue with the fans themselves (low speed circuits burn out) and/or the fan switch... basically you will need to test the fans to make sure they both run at slow and fast speeds to make sure they are working fine... you can do this a couple of ways... either at the fan plugs themselves or at the wiring to the fan switch...

Fan running issues will either be faulty fans and/or faulty fan switch

Its very rare for the fan controller to fail but if the fans do not come on with the aircon you should check the 30amp fuses on top of the battery as the one that feeds the controller has a habit of melting the fuse holder and will essentially break the 12v feed stopping both fans from operating when aircon is on and also stops the after run pump where fitted

<tuffty/>

Fans are primarily controlled by the 3 pin switch in the radiator... this will do low speed at 96deg and high speed at 100 or so plus...

The fan controller will control the fan low speed if aircon is on or off...

With aircon on the fans will run on low speed constantly (controlled by fan controller) but will go to high speed if temps are 100 plus (overridden by fan switch)

With aircon off the fans are off until the fan switch intervenes... initially at 96deg slow speed and high speed at 100 plus is required

If you have fan issues its almost certainly an issue with the fans themselves (low speed circuits burn out) and/or the fan switch... basically you will need to test the fans to make sure they both run at slow and fast speeds to make sure they are working fine... you can do this a couple of ways... either at the fan plugs themselves or at the wiring to the fan switch...

Fan running issues will either be faulty fans and/or faulty fan switch

Its very rare for the fan controller to fail but if the fans do not come on with the aircon you should check the 30amp fuses on top of the battery as the one that feeds the controller has a habit of melting the fuse holder and will essentially break the 12v feed stopping both fans from operating when aircon is on and also stops the after run pump where fitted

The fuse melting above the battery literally happened to us on track last night causing the car to overheat defo check that bit of a wiggle and it worked again, didn’t know this happened to them until a quick google seems common

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuse melting above the battery literally happened to us on track last night causing the car to overheat defo check that bit of a wiggle and it worked again, didn’t know this happened to them until a quick google seems common

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep... very, very common issue... have had it myself....

<tuffty/>

Hi, thanks for al the answers!!! I’ll go check the fusebox and the 3 pin switch. Tomorrow I’ll go buy new fans and install a new mishimoto radiator!!

water pump ok ? thermostat stuck ? over heat when driving normally ..could be something restricted , can you hear the secondary pump running ?