Rad fan won’t shut off, kills battery

CameronS3

S3 8P
Reaction score
So had a race with an MRC tuned S3 8V the other day, done me on the straights but I said good bye down the country roads ;) anyway!

since then one of the cooling fans will not stop running, keeps running until the battery dies. Got to be some sort of sensor?

Any idea what needs replacing and if it’s something I can do myself, if so any idea on part numbers.

cheers

I had something similar on my S3 but at the time my car had the engine turned off.
The fans would run on full blast and the only way to stop them was to disconnect the battery.

I had been modifying the bracket that supports the gear cables after having a BCS exhaust fitted. Battery removed from the car. To give me more room, I unplugged the wires to the temperature sensor just above the gearbox. On plugging the wires back in and reinstalling the battery, the fans started up.
Maybe there was a dry joint that I jiggled Open when I pulled off the wires so the sensor was on borrowed time anyway?
I bought a new genuine sensor and sealing ring. Unclipped the old one, pulled it out and popped the new one in. If you are quick you don’t lose much coolant. Have a pad ready to block the hole. Watch out for the old sealing ring staying in the hole. Reconnected the battery and no fans running.
So that worked for me and it is a relatively cheap fix to attempt. Don’t buy a non genuine part.

Last edited:
Maybe faulty fan assembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to replace the fans on my wife’s a3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk