Racingline oem+ thoughts?

garethdj

Reaction score
Anyone ran Racingline oem+ software? Leaning towards a stage 1 Ecu and TCU tune, leaving the door open to stage 2 further down the road.

They offer free ecu software upgrades and their TCU lasts from stock to stage 3.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Anyone ran Racingline oem+ software? Leaning towards a stage 1 Ecu and TCU tune, leaving the door open to stage 2 further down the road.

They offer free ecu software upgrades and their TCU lasts from stock to stage 3.

Whereabouts are you based and might I ask why Racingline. Though they’ve been in the VW tuning scene for a while personally, I am not a fan of their tune on Audis.

If I was you, I’d also look at the likes of Unicorn and DH Automotive (MRC reps in Scotland) both forum sponsors and highly reputable or MRC themselves down South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunderland so it's a trek to visit anywhere that's a name for Audi tuning.

Locally I can go Revo at BTC performance or APR at JM imports. Neither options allow me to go stage 2 at a later date, at least at the minute for Revo.

JM will offer a custom map and those guys really know what they're doing I suppose.

Why aren't you a fan of Racingline?

The free upgrades piece and the fact their TCU software will last is a big plus for me. Means I can go stage one then not have wasted money getting another map of I go stage 2 at a later date.

Can I get a bump on this? Considering Racingline tune (ECU+TCU) in the coming weeks

Did some digging, not all that many reviews around. The gossip seems to be that RacingLine bought out Shark in 2018 and used that purchase to make the OEM+ tunes. The OEM+ head office also happens to be the same address as Awesome GTI in Irlam, Manchester.

I know tabby at awesome did the racing line oem + tune on the dazza. I went revo in the end. Although unitronic look the best outputs I want to keep the car a few years and think revo are safe.

Reactions: Dan_DJT
When you say tabby did the oem+ tune on the daza, what do you mean?

I’m pretty sure RacingLine’s calibrator is a guy called Ben Wardle. He does all their tunes.

Awesome are a RacingLine dealer but pretty sure they’re a completely separate Company.

I too went Revo stage 1 with a panel filter and was very happy. It gave me the option of overrun, RacingLine don’t.

Reactions: Dan_DJT
So, I've booked in for Racingline OEM+ ECU/TCU stage 1 bundle at Awesome.

The deal is pretty good, £1,200 and you get included stage2/3 upgrades.

Finding reviews of this map is next to impossible. The Seat lot seem to like it, alot of happy Golf customers, but most of the information on forums stops at 2018/2019 from what I can tell. While it doesn't fill me with confidence, I like Racingline's hardware and they seem to be taking seriously entry into the software tuning market (given, what appears to be acquisition of Shark/Ben).

The reviews I did find are all happy customers, and it seems like a map which matches the "OEM+" marketing ... not as aggressive as others and keeps the stock feel.

As long as actual development work has been done and they're not just flashing shady bins from forums, at stage 1 and without negative reviews I don't see why not to give it a go.

There appears to be close ties between Awesome/Racingline/VBT, so hopefully support would be good in the event of any trouble.

Reactions: AL_B
I went Revo stage 2 after running their stage 1 for a while. I only wish Revo had released a TCU tune to support their stage 2 software, they told me a couple of times they were looking into it and then abandoned it. Which I think is a bit shoddy based on a TCU tune being widely regarded as a necessity for stage 2. But I'm gonna see if I can get in at MRC soon.

I went Revo stage 2 after running their stage 1 for a while. I only wish Revo had released a TCU tune to support their stage 2 software, they told me a couple of times they were looking into it and then abandoned it. Which I think is a bit shoddy based on a TCU tune being widely regarded as a necessity for stage 2. But I'm gonna see if I can get in at MRC soon.
What made you switch to Revo? How was the Racingline maps?

What made you switch to Revo? How was the Racingline maps?
Sorry I wasn't that clear, I was running Revo's stage 1 map not Racingline. I went with Revo because I used them when I had Revo stage 1 on my Golf R which I was impressed with. The other thing is going from Revo stage 1 to Revo stage 2 with the RS3 I've only bettered the stage 1 0-60 once with stage 2 which i put down to the lack of a TCU tune. When launching on stage 2 without a TCU tune the gear changes aren't as crisp (basically slurring).

Sorry I wasn't that clear, I was running Revo's stage 1 map not Racingline. I went with Revo because I used them when I had Revo stage 1 on my Golf R which I was impressed with. The other thing is going from Revo stage 1 to Revo stage 2 with the RS3 I've only bettered the stage 1 0-60 once with stage 2 which i put down to the lack of a TCU tune. When launching on stage 2 without a TCU tune the gear changes aren't as crisp (basically slurring).
OK so nothing at all to do with Racingline OEM+, got it.

When you say tabby did the oem+ tune on the daza, what do you mean?

I’m pretty sure RacingLine’s calibrator is a guy called Ben Wardle. He does all their tunes.

Awesome are a RacingLine dealer but pretty sure they’re a completely separate Company.

I too went Revo stage 1 with a panel filter and was very happy. It gave me the option of overrun, RacingLine don’t.

Tabby at awesome did the stage 2 OEM + tune. He used Dan cups drag tr rs car which was running APR stage 2. Both said felt better than the APR. My mistake as we were talking stage 1 in this conversation.

When I spoke to Revo about TCU they basically said it was because they know they couldn’t do better software than TVS

When I spoke to Revo about TCU they basically said it was because they know they couldn’t do better software than TVS

I hear ya but based on that logic why bother doing it for the S3 & Golf R if TVS do better software?

Update: ended up going APR for ECU and TCU. Couldn't be happier.

Reactions: flybynite
How are you finding the TCU tune? Does it change the drivability or is it just clamping pressure?
The shift points are adjusted in D and S, the redline is raised and (I think) the launch revs are increased too.

In terms of drivability, I would say it is different, not better or worse. In D the car won't shift so early and have you in 5th gear at 30mph or whatever. This helps with city driving, but i'd you've less options for "light right foot" fuel economy. I prefer the TCU tune over stock, because if you care about being in the highest gear for economy, you probably want a different car.

In M mode, shifts are quicker, particularly downshifts at 70mph+. You don't find that half-second "barp barp barp" lag before the next gear down engages. Upshifts on the limit feel a bit more savage.

On the ECU side I got map switching with stock/95ron/98ron so I can swap to stock if I want.

Really though, the lock-out sold me on APR. Car will start but won't move much without input of a code on the cruise control stalk. Until then the throttle pedal is disabled. In theory someone could drive it in 1st at crawling/idle speed somewhere but good luck with that.

Reactions: flybynite
The shift points are adjusted in D and S, the redline is raised and (I think) the launch revs are increased too.

In terms of drivability, I would say it is different, not better or worse. In D the car won't shift so early and have you in 5th gear at 30mph or whatever. This helps with city driving, but i'd you've less options for "light right foot" fuel economy. I prefer the TCU tune over stock, because if you care about being in the highest gear for economy, you probably want a different car.

In M mode, shifts are quicker, particularly downshifts at 70mph+. You don't find that half-second "barp barp barp" lag before the next gear down engages. Upshifts on the limit feel a bit more savage.

On the ECU side I got map switching with stock/95ron/98ron so I can swap to stock if I want.

Really though, the lock-out sold me on APR. Car will start but won't move much without input of a code on the cruise control stalk. Until then the throttle pedal is disabled. In theory someone could drive it in 1st at crawling/idle speed somewhere but good luck with that.
Thanks for that, out of interest does the APR map do anything for the startup and wastegate rattle? At the moment I was thinking REVO+TVS but the REVO map is lacking a couple of things for me. I have a good REVO dealer close but the APR dealer is not that much further away.

I find it is the constant changing down that it does irritatiting, I wish it would hold the gear more and use the torque instead of changing down and revving its ****** off every time I push the throttle. Half the time now I just drive in M locked in top gear and it is fine and often does more to the gallon.