raced a amd remapped s3 today

curtis11

Reaction score
right guys how do you think a standard s4 would cope with this?
amd remap miltek system , dyno graph shows 260 bhp and 277 ft/lbs S3.

the car belongs to a guy at my work so it was a fair race, rolling start 50mph who do you think won?

sorry guys but the s3 had it , both in 3rd 50 mph and he just took off like **** , took about 5 car lengths out of me but then it stayed pretty even right up to 130ish , it must be something to do with the gearing of the s3 it must be alot shorter than the s4.
also his power to weight is better 178 bhp per tonne vs 166 bhp per tonne.

also.. the S3 is running a larger turbo, so will pull harder towards the redline :)

dont know about that m8 , i would say the s4 is stronger above 5500 rpm, well to a standard s3 any way,

curtis11 said:
dont know about that m8 , i would say the s4 is stronger above 5500 rpm, well to a standard s3 any way,

Didn't you post a message a little while ago saying that you had just bought your s4 and weren't that impressed with the performance?. I would suggest that you get yours checked out on a rolling road. Sounds like something is not quite as it should be.

Like I say I don't underestimate the performance of a mapped S3, but really suspect the S4 has issues if this is the case. The torque of the S4 should over come the weight differences and see the S4 at least keep up!

Standard S3 0-60 in around 6.3 secs with 225bhp 1420kg
standard S4 0-60 in around 5.6 secs with 265bhp 1550kg

a remapped S3 with around 270bhp will be lighter with more horsepower so considering the differences in the turbo spool up time i'd expect the times to be similar. S4 will be boosting sooner but S3 has the weight advantage.

as Graham says, i'd suspect that if you got spanked there's something wrong with your S4, get it to MRC for a health check, get it remapped then give him another go (and for maximum ******-off effect don't mention the remap, lol)

who said i got spanked ? my car is running fine , he got a 4-5 car length lead in 3rd from a rolling start and then it was dead even.
with the options my car has its 1596kg

was talkin to him today and its a gearing thing we both agreed,
recon there would be nothing in it from a standstill

from a standstill a standard S4 should beat a standard S3 based on the 0-60 times, it's all about the spool up times for the turbos, S4 runs 2 small turbos that spin up quickly whilst the S3 runs a larger one that will come on song later.

to make this all meaningful we need some dyno graphs to compare BHP and torque through the rev range. that way we can see what is being produced throughout the rev range. it could be you might be better challenging him to a rolling run from 30 in third to take advantage of the S4's low down torque

The thing is, you are only assuming what the power and Torque figures should be. Unless both cars have been on the same rolling road recently you just don't know. If you have been on these forums for a while you will know that there are a few components that fail on both these cars which can cause power loss (e.g. MAF, diverters, boost leaks etc).

Those of us who have attended rolling road days will also know that owners of tuned cars often find out they have less power than expected and others who thought they had standard cars find out they have more because the car had been remapped before they bought it without their knowledge.

In my opinion its always worth getting your newly acquired performance car checked out on a reputable rolling road. It is the best money you can spend and it gives you peace of mind that everything is okay, or identify what needs to be fixed.

The only thing you know now is that your friends S3 is faster than your S4.

I'd really think at 50mph the S4 would be on song. So long as you didn't hold on to 3rd too long and shifted to 4th by about 5200rpm you should have been fine.

just fitted a new lambda and oxygen sensor on stapo69s S4 today and now goes so much better i would have him everytime but now its fixed and next week he'll be superchipped up aswell! i'll have no chance!

Tis true, si's remapped S3 always had me, (which hacked me off a treat!) but I reckon my S4 was never running right since I've had it, amazing what difference new egt and lambda made, like a new car! Fingers crossed it throws no more fault codes and bring on the superchip! Then we'll see simon, we'll see........

Standard HEALTHY S4 would be neck and neck in a straight line, round a track the S3 probably quicker.

The problem is 50-70% of S4's (even enthusiasts) have S4's that require a bit of TLC... New MAF, EGT's etc... so you may think a remapped S3 is quicker.

Stapo69 a classic example of this...

Even my car - purchased from a dealer with just 36k on the clock had a faulty diverter valve and dodgy MAF taking my power down to about 230ish HP!! There I was thinking I had bought a mint low miler S4 from a dealership having been serviced every 5k from new - SURELY this was healthy... NOT.

Get your S4 checked before the race... and if you want to waste him, get it remapped :p

I have an MTM chip sitting at home ;)

It is specific to the model year I believe. Mine is a facelift version with the digital clocks. I am not sure what models it is compatible with. May be worth checking with MTM fitters here in the UK...

The superchip is in and no engine faults at all now and my lord it goes like f@#k now! So much instant power on tap now, recorded 520nm peak torque at 3k too, pulls straight away in any gear at anywhere in the rev range, awesome! Finally the car I thought I was getting.
Anyone who has not remapped there S4 do it! Do it now and don't think twice! The best money you'll spend, can't help but grin everytime I drive it now!
S3? Pah! Not a chance!

All this talk of remapping is making me itchy to get my mine done! Had a good play with some Jap techno motor on the way home on the M1 tonight, and I left him for dust smoking my exhaust!

stapo69 said:
The superchip is in and no engine faults at all now and my lord it goes like f@#k now! So much instant power on tap now, recorded 520nm peak torque at 3k too, pulls straight away in any gear at anywhere in the rev range, awesome! Finally the car I thought I was getting.

Sounds great. Where/how was the 520NM recorded? On the Superchips dyno? Did you go to the HQ in Buckingham?

Do you know what you peak MAF reading is?

Do you know what the peak boost is Superchips run?

Especially now you have the map, don't forget the boost leak checks that won't always throw error codes. Check the part number on your diverter valves as the original 710A ones are a bad idea no matter who you ask, but 710N replacements not expensive.

Diverter valves are next on my list! Hopefully have no boost leaks, yet.......as the peak reading was fairly good. Recorded peak torque and boost with Vagcom, peak boost was around 2100millibar so just over 1.0 bar I think, couldn't tell you what the MAF was reading, got an ABS fault that keeps blocking Vagcom whenever I use it so didn't get chance to check that, should be ok though cos put a new MAF on last week.

As for the difference it is fairly noticeable, an extra 45bhp will do that! The power delivery is a lot smoother now and the extra torque really does pull the car from low low down and builds the speed rapidly in any gear, really effortless to drive now.

The only down side is I'm gonna need new brakes now, keep cooking the standard ones as I end up travelling about 30mph quicker than I thought and not realising till a tad late!

Stapo, what chip is that you are running?
I got a custom MRC map on mine and not pulling the same as you on torque (peak of 482nm) but pushing a little more BHP at 315.

I found the same too on my brakes LOL. Even with a set of grooved disks up front they are still only good for a few hefty stops before you start smoking them up!

Got Superchips UK in mine. Torque reading was from Vagcom so not entirely sure on the accuracy, going for rolling road soon to get some accurate figures and check all is ok as we replaced the whole ecu taken from another S4.

No where near the £500 superchips would've charged I'll say that!