Racechip Tunning for S3

Reaction score
Guys,

I desperately need some more power on my S3 looking to get a piggy back system by next month. (MTM is the current choice but price is high and gains seems a bit on the lower side)

Wanted to find out if anyone has had experience with this guys? They claim good figures, offer engine warranty and let you make changes via a phone app.

Main ones i have been looking at are MTM and DTUK so far but came across racechip and they seem to offer very good gains.

Any thoughts?

I bought a second hand DTUK box, second-hand its deffo worth the money, new price is way too expensive, I would not buy one new.. I had a wee play with an 8V RS3 the other day and my was faster.

If buying new I would go JB1 or JB4 cheaper and more adjustments.

Only think about the DTUK is plugging and unplugging is a pain due to the bottom connector. + its got a few glitches

unplugging is no issue for me as it wont be removed until I map it. I agree though not a 2 min job. For less than £150 I cant knock it.

Not noticed any issues so far.

Like I said if buying new I would not buy it.

Only think about the DTUK is plugging and unplugging is a pain due to the bottom connector. + its got a few glitches

What type of glitches exactly. Have you experienced them yourself or just heard of?
Any links?

unplugging is no issue for me as it wont be removed until I map it. I agree though not a 2 min job. For less than £150 I cant knock it.

Not noticed any issues so far.

Like I said if buying new I would not buy it.

Wow £150! That is a good price!! Is it the FSR one that you have?
How long have you had it, any problems?

I've got a 2.0 TDI 150 so been looking at the CRD3 and it seams pretty decent.
I agree on the price though, I'm looking for a well priced second hand unit myself!

Anyone know the difference with the racechip, DTUK, JB1 and JB4?

Like you said @AJ Jacob, more power, easier installation, warranty of engine parts, phone app and more gain.

It's quite good and reassuring that they offer warranty on the engine given the increase in power...

Edit:

Do DTUK not? I've seen some very good reviews and also some not so good. I've seen some posts on the MK7 (184PS) forums about them not caring when things go wrong, eg, when someone used 3+3 setting (excuse me it may not be exact setting, I've forgotten now) they said the far judders and DTUK just tell them to 'change their style of drive' and send it back for testing.. A fair few people have been frustrated as they have sent it back numerous times and it still persists. Also with an increasing number of regens people have had with the box on, once removed it's been fine and no juddering or regens.

So according to some people's experiences it's all good until they run into problems then DTUK just don't want to know.

Like I said I've seen some amazing reviews and people have been problem free and all is well and some not so much, it was mainly the 184PS variants of the 2.0TDI.

One thing to note that my research is not compressive, I've yet to really look into it all. This was just a quick read I did on the 184PS last night and that's the only thing that popped up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What type of glitches exactly. Have you experienced them yourself or just heard of?
Any links?

More from reading and research on the internet, it makes things notchy like gear changes in the high settings also throws up a few errors etc. I havent heard of a single person complaining or reporting errors on MTM.

Reactions: MKC
I'm selling my DTUK FSR box from my S3 at the moment - it's 3rd hand as was bought off a forum member on here.
Great piece of kit, really transformed the car. When I took it off for an oil change I realised how slow the stock car feels.

I haven't had any issues with judders etc, but I run 2+3 on a manual. Tried 3+3 but it was a bit mad, found 2+3 to be the perfect balance and saw that most people on here found the same.

Selling as going the Revo route......

£175 with box if interested.....

Worth mentioning I haven't had any errors throw up in nearly a years worth of use.
I also noticed a slight increase in MPG which I didn't expect.

Ive had two DTUK boxes with faultless performance and excellent customer service!

My first box was for my mk3 skoda octavia vrs

2.0TDI 184ps

184PS----420NM
To
242PS----508NM

Fanstastic results and super easy to fit! As this engine has both plugs ontop! Literally a two minute job!

(People only have issues with the boxes when they ramp all the settings up to max or fail to connect the plugs properly)

The DTUK systems are fully backed up by their warranty and money back guarantee, plus they also have a 24hr helpline!

Second box was for my 2016 polo GTI 1.8TFSi

192PS -- 330NM
To
240PS----400NM

This is a slightly longer install as the plug is underneath, but i wouldnt call it difficult. It takes me 15minutes to fit!

I had the polo Dynod and the results were actually a few ps better than the stated figures!

I will be ordering the FSR+ system and pedal box for my facelift S3 come March.

The dtuk system is a quality, easy to use product that is miles better than the competition.

The figures are within the safest tolerance and balance of performance and unlike other box companies that ramp everything up to eleven... and then people wonder why their cars have issues!

From the instructions I have seen the installation is the same, as the boost sensor for S3's is under the front of the car.

Yes FSR. Had mine about 2.5k miles and couple of months running 2+3. no issues. Not tried 3+3. prob best setting would be 1+3 for my FL DSG as 2 makes it a bit aggressive but I like it that way.

my MPG is suffering a bit (still get 34ish on a run) as I have a de-cat on it and engine light is on, prob running a bit rich due to de-cat and 2nd lambda reporting an issue.

Yes FSR. Had mine about 2.5k miles and couple of months running 2+3. no issues. Not tried 3+3. prob best setting would be 1+3 for my FL DSG as 2 makes it a bit aggressive but I like it that way.

my MPG is suffering a bit (still get 34ish on a run) as I have a de-cat on it and engine light is on, prob running a bit rich due to de-cat and 2nd lambda reporting an issue.

De-cat will definitely throw a few lights on!

3+ 3 is bad on the diesel engines, because you cant tell If its sooting before the dpf more.

People with the 184ps tdi who run at max always end up with problems because they fill their DPF's

It seems to be luck and depending on which car you use it with. With the audi s3 loads of feedback on few errror coming up during and after removal. I really do like the DTUK system due to figures and prices but for me the connection underneath is the deal breaker. MTM 5 mins and it attaches to ththe Ecu, makes life so much easier.

I just fitted a jb4 today, it's got a few selectable maps, I'm currently using the least aggressive one and the difference is night and day over standard.

I'm absolutely useless mechanically and I managed to install it in 2 hours, reckon I could do it in half an hour now, the bottom plug was a pain to get but

I have the racechip ultimate box with phone pairing and couldn't fault it in the slightest, I was pretty hesitant at first but I've had 0 trouble in the 3 months it's been on ! Decat going on in a few days so will see if that forces a flash map

I have the racechip ultimate box with phone pairing and couldn't fault it in the slightest, I was pretty hesitant at first but I've had 0 trouble in the 3 months it's been on ! Decat going on in a few days so will see if that forces a flash map

How does the connections fit into the s3?

3 connections, camshaft position and couple of boost sensors. Bottom boost requires you to take off the under tray but it's not too much hassle.

Just be careful with reliability on the DTUK units, I had one and eventually took it off as it often failed without warning and put me in some hairy predicaments at times. Apparently the manufacturers said it certainly wasn't the tuning box so it must have been the car, took it off and never once had the same problem again so draw your own conclusions.

Tried a few. Jb1 (now jb4) the best by far as it also controls fuel. More power and smoother delivery with a lot of tweaking potential and live logging, cannot go wrong.

Guys,

I desperately need some more power on my S3 looking to get a piggy back system by next month. (MTM is the current choice but price is high and gains seems a bit on the lower side)

Wanted to find out if anyone has had experience with this guys? They claim good figures, offer engine warranty and let you make changes via a phone app.

Main ones i have been looking at are MTM and DTUK so far but came across racechip and they seem to offer very good gains.

Any thoughts?

This might be useful reading if you have not already seen it?. MTM vs DTUK review. There is a lot more chatter on the Golf R forums as well about MTM. See here.

I would also recommend reading about a pedal box.

Pedal box review here

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
Tried a few. Jb1 (now jb4) the best by far as it also controls fuel. More power and smoother delivery with a lot of tweaking potential and live logging, cannot go wrong.

This might be useful reading if you have not already seen it?. MTM vs DTUK review. There is a lot more chatter on the Golf R forums as well about MTM. See here.

I would also recommend reading about a pedal box.

Pedal box review here

Regds
Jungle

Thanks i have read the reviews but have read up about a few more options such as Racechip, TMc motorsports and JB4 (Gains seems low). So not sure if its worth investing in the MTM.

Thanks i have read the reviews but have read up about a few more options such as Racechip, TMc motorsports and JB4 (Gains seems low). So not sure if its worth investing in the MTM.

Jb4 quotes are at the wheels and verified on many dynos around the world. I used 3 different systems in the past, jb1 gave the most power and is the only one that controls fuel too rather than waiting for the ecu to compensate for lean conditions. The jb4 is even better. Don't go with whatever exaggerated claims some companies make on their own dynos for some systems!

Jb4 quotes are at the wheels and verified on many dynos around the world. I used 3 different systems in the past, jb1 gave the most power and is the only one that controls fuel too rather than waiting for the ecu to compensate for lean conditions. The jb4 is even better. Don't go with whatever exaggerated claims some companies make on their own dynos for some systems!

I did not realize the quoted figures were at the wheels :O what did you get on JB1?

vw_volkswagen_JB1_dyno_1.jpg

I think they claim 351.4 and 356 Ft lbs that cant be wheel power can it?

I got 65 at the crank with the JB1.
The JB4 is supposed to give around 15 more.

It is not only power, it is also the safety mechanisms with the fuel control and the smoothness the JB4 can give compared to other boxes I tried.

I've got a Racechip Ultimate on my 2.0TFSI A4, and overall am very happy.

App works well for changing settings/disabling altogether.

Only issue I've had - stupidly jerky gear changes (up and down) all of a sudden one morning. Disabled the box, did a couple of hundred miles, turned it back on and it was back to normal. Done about 5k since then with no reoccurrence.

Anyone try out TMC Motorsports?

Anyone nearby London who has either MTM or running tune box in there s3?

Last edited:
I've owned a JB1, JB4 and DTUK, the DTUK box is horrible to your car, it doesn't correct air fuel and the car runs lean and DTUK just say well it has passed tests in Germany so it must be ok?

The JB4 is the best by far, lots more power, smooth and you can tweak it as must as you want, take logs, even reduce the boost just for first gear so launch control doesn't just spin up all 4 tyres. You can even email you logs to them and they'll reply very quickly advising on what settings to change to optimise the map for your car

Reactions: GregS3
Wow that is nice...any noticeable difference from JB1 and JB4?

Yes the JB4 adds quite a bit of mid power and is very smooth, even on the lower powered map I could tell a difference and on the high power map there is quite a difference

2017 01 18

remembering again this is WHP

A UK member dyno'd at 367hp off the top of my head, very good numbers

does it also connect to the boost sensor underneath? and how easy is it to take off during service etc?

does it also connect to the boost sensor underneath? and how easy is it to take off during service etc?

It does connect to the bottom boost sensor but I can take the JB1 off in 10 mins as I've done it a few times now. The JB4 uses another 2 wires which makes taking it off a tad slower and putting it back on will probably take 20 mins over the 10 mins for the JB1.

The reason the JB1 and JB4 are such better solutions is they both fuel the car for the extra boost. The JB1 increases fuel pressure so the car doesn't need to increase trims to add the fuel. The JB4 does this and it can bias the air fuel and after a firmware update it should be able to auto tune the map to suit your car

It does connect to the bottom boost sensor but I can take the JB1 off in 10 mins as I've done it a few times now. The JB4 uses another 2 wires which makes taking it off a tad slower and putting it back on will probably take 20 mins over the 10 mins for the JB1.

The reason the JB1 and JB4 are such better solutions is they both fuel the car for the extra boost. The JB1 increases fuel pressure so the car doesn't need to increase trims to add the fuel. The JB4 does this and it can bias the air fuel and after a firmware update it should be able to auto tune the map to suit your car

Awesome...So i am guessing there are few options of boost within the app you can choose? which one is the best one to run on a stock car? i think on the website it says options 1 to 6.