Race Chip GTS Black +73HP +120Nm Audi S3 8V PPF

AudiBoss

Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone here have any experience using the Race Chip GTS Black tuning box which gives +73 HP and +120Nm of torque according to the manufacturer. https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/audi/a3-8v-from-2012/s3-2-0-tfsi-1984ccm-300hp-221kw-380nm.html

I am a bit apprehensive about going down the ECU tune route from Revo as my car is only 6 months old from new and i do not want to invalidate my warranty. I thought this could be the answer but it would be helpful to hear some of your thoughts

Cheers

Hi guys does anyone here have any experience using the Race Chip GTS Black tuning box which gives +73 HP and +120Nm of torque according to the manufacturer. https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/audi/a3-8v-from-2012/s3-2-0-tfsi-1984ccm-300hp-221kw-380nm.html

I am a bit apprehensive about going down the ECU tune route from Revo as my car is only 6 months old from new and i do not want to invalidate my warranty. I thought this could be the answer but it would be helpful to hear some of your thoughts

Cheers

Your a brave man if you tune a 6 month old S3 if the engine pops expect a bill of £18k on the other hand if you have deep pockets go for it :icon thumright:

Cheers

Forget the Racechip.

JB4 is about the most advanced tuning box solution you can find.

https://boltonmods.co.uk/products/audi-s3-jb4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lehn
Why is it better than the race chip? Also would i have to remove it every time i take my car into Audi for servicing ?

The JB4 actually makes the power it quotes.
Safety systems are far superior as it plugs into the OBD port as well

The JB4 can log engine parameters too and you have the choice of various maps plus a fully customisable map 6 for when you are running supporting mods.

The JB4 is fully removable too.

if you watch Darkside developments vid on youtube re tuning boxes, it will put you off buying a tuning box
I had a JFA one on my RS4 and it worked like a dream. Proper rocket ship when installed. Not all bad I guess is the truth.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Petrol ecu software have torque and smoke limiters .

It’s able to monitor real time ecu info via the OBD port.
AFR / Trims / HPF / LPF / water temp / Actual boost / ignition advance etc.

If it sees an issue it’ll drop into a ‘Safety’ map setting.

Granted it’ll never be as good as a proper remap, but it’s about the best of the dreaded ‘tuning Boxes’.

Reactions: N.J.H
OK it's the best , but what's the advantage over a remap ?

The only one is it won't be overwritten on ecu software update whilst being serviced as it will be removed and not part of the ecu .

OK it's the best , but what's the advantage over a remap ?

The only one is it won't be overwritten on ecu software update whilst being serviced as it will be removed and not part of the ecu .

For people that want to go to the dealer when something goes wrong.

I was going to get a racechip or TDI box but for pretty much the same price I am getting a stage 1 revo map.
There is only 1 place near me, think its called got boost.
its £425.00 and the top of the line tune box is pretty much the same price.
Mine is out of warranty so not worried about that. I am looking at +50bhp on a standard 150bhp 2.0tdi A3 8V

TB1 not mentioned by Audi when my RS4 went in for servicing. Imho way less of a risk vs a remap which is much easier to spot.

Anyone ever seen a TB1? Internet folklore ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY
A good mate of mine needed a replacement dsg gearbox on their s3 after the transfer box went bad. They were running a tuning box for some time, took it off and then a month later got a new box under warranty.

dealer did a whole bunch of scans and sent them over to Germany, no TB1 mentioned.

but at end of the day it’s up to the owners of these cars to take the risk when modifying them.

if you want more power and want to keep your warranty, Get an RS3.

Reactions: Damo S
Time will tell about the 'fake' TB1 code.

"Unless you have the appropriate diagnostic gear to reset all the engine ecu learned values and adaptations after removing the box then yes they are detectable. The internal document you refer to is 100% kosher, I've seen it direct from elsapro on the official TPI listings. Whether they decide to deny a warranty claim is down to the individual/dealership looking at the car."

" The technical documentation with all the answers you're looking for is hours and hours.. and hours of reading. I couldn't tell you what the factory scan tool is looking for on every engine/ecu type. The one test that sticks in my mind was for the C7 RS6 which gave a tolerance for the variable cam timing learned values as a way to check for modifications."

"Modern VAG cars have two flash 'counters'. The 1st is partially accessible by tuners and tuning companies which can block ECU changes etc, but the 2nd is completely inaccessible/encrypted and increments at every use of an external device which alters/changes the state of the ECU.

A VW dealership doesn't search for flags, they only look via ELSA for existing registered flags. Here in the UK, VW AG ask all dealers to run a specific diagnostic report (called SVM) which gets uploaded to the VW AG servers via VAS online. An automated response will be received. and if a flag has been found that flag will be shown and registered to the database. The diagnostic tool has no capability to do this locally. No information about a cars tuning state is held on the car's ROM, it's held centrally at VAG. VW keeps that record centrally of what the count number should be for each VIN (based on how many times it's been plugged into their systems), if the count displayed sits outside the number expected, then it goes into the first flash counter and looks for the TB1 and TD1 errors. It is when these are flagged, warranties are usually rendered void, and as previously mentioned this is a big thing in current VAG climate where every penny counts.

As mentioned, the flash counters serve two different purposes, one counts, one analyses. There is also another bit of the algorithm that analyses 'hardware' modification (tuning boxes and unidentified hardware that’s been plugged into the ECU) which produces a TXD code that is then monitored in the detection algorithm. It’s simple maths which will then flags the appropriate error (TD1, TG1, TE1 and TB1)."

As for tuning boxes goes JB4 is really the only one that I would recommend after searching extensively for feedback before getting one myself.

And have we ever heard about any car that got flagged which have had the JB4 unmounted at each dealer visit?
Mine just went in for a gearbox update and I removed the JB4 the day before - no problems here even though the ECU is communicating with the German servers.

I have 4 mechanic friends at Audi and they have never heard about a car getting flagged unless it's a "proper" tune and not a tuning box.

Just my 5 cents :D

Reactions: 8YARWY