R8 diesel

Moisty said:
Maybe it is your grammar I am not picking up on. Just in case and just for you, my A3 is a super car but it is not a supercar. There, I hope that helps you.

Lol, you know you've lost an argument when you start picking problems with someone's typos.

auroan said:
Lol, you know you've lost an argument when you start picking problems with someone's typos.

An argument? Sorry I didn't realise. Indeed I lost the argument long ago mainly because I was not having one.

I seem to have you very confused now and I will cease this particular discussion with you to try to ease that confusion for you.

Very well done for winning the argument though.

M

An update on the R8 Diesel..... from the AutoBlog website:

When we heard that there was a 50/50 chance Audi would be offering a production version of its R8 V12 TDI LeMans concept, our interest was piqued. The thought of 737 pound-feet of torque rippling the pavement behind the mid-engined R8 supercar will, unfortunately, remain but a fleeting fantasy in our power-hungry dreams. According to Michael ****, Audi's head of production, the V12 TDI is not slated for production. That's the bad news... the good news, though, is that there is a coming diesel engine option in the form of Audi's 90 degree 4.2-liter TDI V8. In the Q7 SUV, that engine produces 326 horsepower with torque registering in at 550 pound-feet.

Out of all the people commenting that this car is going to sound like a Tractor/taxi who has actually heard a v12 diesel?

With 500bhp and over 700ft/lbs of torque its going to be a huge amount quicker than the v8 or even v10 version of the r8..

I saw the car in the flesh last week and its beautiful!

Jonny

I think that there is still too much snobbery about diesel cars in the UK.

I would have thought that the actual sales figures for everyday diesel cars speak for themselves over the last 2, 3, 4 years in the UK. Diesel powered "supercars", sportscars, etc are surely simply a logical evolutionary step, specially given the whole environmental, CO2, emissions issue too. And with the tremendous advances in diesel technology (twin turbos, common rail, piezo injection, PDI, etc) it will no doubt continue.

I do remember BMW once saying that their coupes would only ever be petrol powered; a diesel coupe was considered heresy! Take a look at their product lineup now. You even have diesels outperfoming their petrol equivalent - again heresy a few years ago. If you were asked what do think about a diesel convertible 5 years ago, I'm sure the doubting Thomas's would have laughed and all cried they would never sell. It's simply a sign of the times.

Who knows, diesel powered S, RS and M cars could be a reality one day?

Get with the plan people! Change, progress, a different way of thinking is inevitable...

There is talk of a Diesel RS4 too in the future. I for one would be interested, can someone tell me where the downside is with a car with more/same power as a petrol, more miles out of a tank, and the same styling as a petrol version?

There is talk of a Diesel RS4 too in the future. I for one would be interested, can someone tell me where the downside is with a car with more/same power as a petrol, more miles out of a tank, and the same styling as a petrol version?

NOISE
EXHAUST NOTE
SMELL
LACK OF NUMBERS ON REV COUNTER
COST OF DISEASEL

But very tempted:whistle2:

'Purists' will argue a petrol's always 'better', but I don't swallow that.
As you say, if it has the same power, probably more torque, and offers something like double the tank range, any daft mutterings about noise/revs/smell just go out of the window.
The smell thing is daft anyway.
I certainly don't smell of diesel.
What kind of twit is incapable of filling up without covering themselves in it?
Purists, quite often, just can't handle sensible change.
There are some who argue vinyl is better than digital, but the hell with going back to that.

There is no downside.

'Purists' will argue a petrol's always 'better', but I don't swallow that.
As you say, if it has the same power, probabky more torque, and offers something like double the tank range, any daft mutterings about noise/revs/smell just go out of the window.
The smell thing is daft anyway.
I certainly don't smell of diesel.
What kind of twit is incapable of filling up without covering themselves in it?
Purists, quite often, just can't handle sensible change.
There are some who nargue vinyl is better than digital, but the hell with going back to that.

They are not 'daft mutterings' but fact!

You don't have to cover yourself in diseasel. Just smell the exhausts of many cars without DPF's !!

Cheers:tocktock:

They are not 'daft mutterings' but fact!

You don't have to cover yourself in diseasel. Just smell the exhausts of many cars without DPF's !!

Cheers:tocktock:

But a diesel RS4 would be fitted with a DPF, for sure.
So that's an irrelevant argument, in this case.
I'd also lay wager it wouldn't make a 'taxi / tractor' noise.
OK, it might not make the godawful (IMO) noise the current RS4 makes from the exhaust (There is one ion my street, sounds like an ME109 in a dive), but some might think that's a good thing.
If childish (IMO) exhaust noise is any valid reason to buy a car, then we're on completely different wavelengths.:noway:

NOISE- Trivial
EXHAUST NOTE - Trivial
SMELL -What smell do you put your nose in the tank
LACK OF NUMBERS ON REV COUNTER - Trivial saves reving the ******** out of engine.
COST OF DISEASEL- pound for pound spent you can travel 25% further

NOISE- Trivial
EXHAUST NOTE - Trivial
SMELL -What smell do you put your nose in the tank
LACK OF NUMBERS ON REV COUNTER - Trivial saves reving the ******** out of engine.
COST OF DISEASEL- pound for pound spent you can travel 25% further

Hear hear.:thumbsup:
I bet 25% more is quite a low guess too.
It's feasible 50% more, or greater.
I've had petrol and diesel cars of the same capacity and tank size.
I can get double the tank range in a diesel, for the same type of driving.
(That's based on a 2.0tdi A3 doing 500 miles to a tank, compared with a 1.8T golf Gti that barely did 250 miles to a tank).

I think we're flogging a dead horse here bowfer Sussex Lad is probably related to jeremy clarkson.:lmfao:

I can see why fans of performance cars scoff at fuel economy as any reason to buy a car, but if the rest of the package is just as good with the added bonus of better fuel economy, then surely that's an unarguable benefit?
I wouldn't have thought anyone enjoys throwing money away on 'principals'.

Hear hear.:thumbsup:
I bet 25% more is quite a low guess too.
It's feasible 50% more, or greater.
I've had petrol and diesel cars of the same capacity and tank size.
I can get double the tank range in a diesel, for the same type of driving.
(That's based on a 2.0tdi A3 doing 500 miles to a tank, compared with a 1.8T golf Gti that barely did 250 miles to a tank).

Get your facts right please! Accept diseasel is more economical than petrol, we have both in our family fleet. Your Golf vs A3 going twice as far on a tankfull is bull***t. The Golf has a way smaller fuel tank.. :keule:

Get your facts right please! Accept diseasel is more economical than petrol, we have both in our family fleet. Your Golf vs A3 going twice as far on a tankfull is bull***t. The Golf has a way smaller fuel tank.. :keule:

You think?
According to the stats I can find online, the 1.8T Golf Gti I owned had a 55 litre fuel tank.
Same as the A3 2.0Tdi.
:whistle2:

some very narrow minded people on here,IMO i would say the diesel engine is the far more advanced engine,petrol engines really havent changed much over the years,anyone who sais they wouldnt have the diesel R8 is stupid

You think?
According to the stats I can find online, the 1.8T Golf Gti I owned had a 55 litre fuel tank.
Same as the A3 2.0Tdi.
:whistle2:

Well well our A3 Diseasel 170 has a 60 litre tank! THat's not t really an issue though cos of course diesel is more economical, just not as much fun IMHO. We had a 1.8T 150 bhp in 2000/1 and got 33mpg or so. Diseasel 170Q does about 38. Fuel costs 25p a gallon more around here. Diseasel batter on long runs petrol more fun to 'drive' IMHO:tocktock:

More for those doubting Thomas's hiding their heads in the sand: anyone seen the latest AutoCar? A diesel Scooby WRX is on the way. OMG where will it all end!?!?!?

As someone who actually has an RS4, I can tell you IMO the ONLY downside to the car is the fact you need to fill it up more than a NORMAL car.

People buy performance cars for lots of reasons but I dont think im alone with the reasons I buy my cars, infact Id say lots of people buy cars with the same rational...

I wanted 1 car that was: FAST, FUN, LOOKS GOOD but also something PRACTICAL! If a diesel version RS4 is as quick/quicker and costs less to run/needs less fuel, surely people would consider it! Well I would!

Why the hell is this thread in the A3 8P Section? There is an R8 section you know...

Because I think when this thread was started there was not an R8 section.

Anyway this particular A3 8P sections seems to have become a 'General Car discussion' section with all sorts of cars discussed. BMWs, RS4s etc.

Not sure if that's a good idea or not. It does seem to get looked at a lot more than most other sections on ASN

My point is that this section is meant for A3 8P drivers, and there are a lot of us. That means more people come to this section than go to the R8 section, because there aren't many R8 drivers out there, and most of them are footballers or business men who aren't interested in retro-fitting cruise control or where to plug in their Ross-Tech cable....

So, is it cool for people to be taking advantage of this section's popularity to start threads which are totally off-topic?

I don't think it is.

So, is it cool for people to be taking advantage of this section's popularity to start threads which are totally off-topic?

I do tend to agree with you. Personally I would prefer it if this section was for posts about the A3 8P only and everything else was posted in the other sections of ASN. Perhaps that would make some of them a little more active. Perhaps the mods should start moving some posts to other sections.

Some threads get moved to the general discussion forum, if an 8P member is asking about a specific model as a replacement for his current car then I think this is the relevant section.

Fair enough a diesel R8 shouldn't really be in here... MOVED.

J.