R8 diesel

M

Moisty

Why?

Who on earth is the customer?

What type of person would buy a supercar with a diesel engine and what could their reasons be?

I am not having a go at a diesel car, I genuinely cannot fathom out who would purchase such a vehicle!

M

Someone that wants a v12 engine, 719lb ft torque, 500bhp and a diesel that is faster than most petrol supercars which gives better economy.

Its a no brainer really....

Economy hasn't got anything to do with it surely! It's a supercar, so if you can afford to buy one, maintain it and insure it etc you're not exactly going to be worrying about an extra few hundred pounds per year on fuel are you.

I just don't get it at all. Why would anyone want a supercar that sounds like a tractor?!?

Have you heard one?

I haven't but i'm sure it does not sound like a tractor.....

auroan said:
I'd buy a diesel R8, if it sounds like the R10
that sounds horrible as well!! Yes it's fast but I wouldn't want my car to sound like that especially if it was a supercar.

As for the speed comments, no I don't think it's all about the absolute speed of the thing. On the road or even on most tracks the difference will be so negligible that it's an irrelivence, and also mostly down to driver skill. If you want to go fast buy a radical or a dedicated race car. It will be cheaper and much more thrilling than an R8 could ever be.

For me supercars are about the way they make you feel, whether that be the looks, the sound or the handling etc etc. The fact that they are fast is a given really. At no point does a diesel engine give me or indeed many supercar buyers what we want from a car. It may be the nicest sounding diesel ever made, but it still won't be as good as a highly tuned V8. Actually wasn't there talk of putting a V10 petrol engine in it? I can't see that being slower than this diesel.

Coming back to costs again, ok lets assume that fuel economy is important to someone for this sort of car, what do you think the secondhand market is going to be like for it compared to a petrol version? I would bet that any savings on the fuel will be more than offset by a higher depreciation.

I think your missing the point. The R8 isn't a super car. It's competing in the high end porsche arena. And I'm sorry but the R10 sounds sweet, the induction roar and low tone growl of the engine is really nice.

rich164h said:
that sounds horrible as well!! Yes it's fast but I wouldn't want my car to sound like that especially if it was a supercar.

I remember having a A6 Avant 2.7TDI as a courtesy car once. Not one person could tell it was a diesel when it was running, it was so silent!

I don't know what they did to the engine, but it definitely was the "bees knees". If they can do that to a V6 then I can only imagine how good the V12 must sound, I live in hope anyway :)

I've seen a webpage with the pics of the new R8, they have done a lot to make it look even more purposeful.

If it is permissable to post the link here, then I shall do so.

G-man

auroan said:
I think your missing the point. The R8 isn't a super car. It's competing in the high end porsche arena. And I'm sorry but the R10 sounds sweet, the induction roar and low tone growl of the engine is really nice.
Oh come on, that's just arguing about semantics on something that has no rigid definition. Most people who spend £100k on a two seater sports car would say that they've bought a supercar, or at least in their own minds would consider it that way. I'm not sure how something like a 911 turbo could be considered anything else.

Anyway, there's still is no good reasons given here to justify buying it over the petrol equivilent. Even if you do like the R10 sound, are you honestly saying that you prefer that to the sounds of a tuned high powered petrol V8 or V10?!? Maybe you do, and maybe you're the customer that Audi are aiming at with this car but in my opinion the niche market for this is so small that it makes it a pointless product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying for one second it's a crap car with no talent, or it's not a fantastic feat of engineering. In fact I think the asthtetic tweaks they've made make it look better than the origial R8. All I'm saying is that it's pointless exercise ot make it as a production model and I don't see any reason for a consumer to buy one rather than alternatives (Audi or otherwise).

It would make a cracking engine in a GT style car.
Re-run of Top gear last night was JC racing the other two to Switzerland in a four seat Ferrari.
It was doing 15mpg....
If he was able to make the same journey with less fuel stops, he'd have beaten the other two comfortably.

rich164h said:
Oh come on, that's just arguing about semantics on something that has no rigid definition. Most people who spend £100k on a two seater sports car would say that they've bought a supercar, or at least in their own minds would consider it that way. I'm not sure how something like a 911 turbo could be considered anything else.

A) the R8 costs approx £70K
B) The Diesel R8 is a concept
C) It's NOT a super car... full stop.

I'd have one, at the moment it is a concept car but it is predicted to be in production in 2009.In my opinion the R8 petrol or diesel IS a supercar.

Wouldn't bother me driving a diesel R8. Wouldn't bother me driving a petrol one either. Either would be a hoot to drive regardless of the fuel they run on. Bet they sell loads if/when they put it into production.

i wouldnt buy a diesel R8 where the petrol one is available... i have a diesel mondeo and a truck which is also diesel.. i have enough diesel in my life lol..

How many R8's have cost their customers £70k? None. The bare spec list price is more that £78k (more than £83k with R tronic) and what does the average customer spend on options? The Poole dealership told me that they have sold more of these cars than any other dealershp by some margin and that the average option list was just over £15k. It's not a £70k car, for the sort of person what buy one it's more like £93k!

Ok we'll just have to agree to disagree at what a supercar is. There is no "full stop", just opinion. If you don't like the term "supercar" just replace that with "sports car" in my posts and the arguments are still just as valid.

I don't think this is a concept. All the reports I've read state it will be on sale from 2010.

rich164h said:
How
Ok we'll just have to agree to disagree at what a supercar is. There is no "full stop", just opinion. If you don't like the term "supercar" just replace that with "sports car" in my posts and the arguments are still just as valid.

I don't think this is a concept.

Audi say it's not a supercar, and they say that the diesel is a concept. I'll go with what the manufactor says...not peoples personal opinions or that of journalists.

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/experience/Studies/Audi_R8_V12_TDI_concept/diesel_milestones.html

All that means is that Audi have got a different definition of the term "super car" That's all. There's still no right or wrong, just opinion.

"....Not going with personal opinions...." that's a really strange thing to say. Whats the point of being on an internet forum then? That's all you get on them.

bowfer said:
It would make a cracking engine in a GT style car.
Re-run of Top gear last night was JC racing the other two to Switzerland in a four seat Ferrari.
It was doing 15mpg....
If he was able to make the same journey with less fuel stops, he'd have beaten the other two comfortably.

OMG, cannot believe you just said that.

M

Moisty said:
OMG, cannot believe you just said that.M

untitled-3.jpg

bowfer said:

Please refrain from posting pictures of your children on the internet.

Did you just come here to get this thread off topic as usual?

M

Care to explain why you "can't believe I said that" then?
Or you just going to leave it at that?
Is it a form of tourettes, perhaps?

I can believe it of you, but I cannot believe most people would buy a supercar on the basis of not having to visit the garage for fuel as often.

I just laughed very hard when I saw you post that.

You are so wrapped up in your Alpina sooty world I think the rose tinted glasses may be super glued to your head.

M

Moisty said:
I can believe it of you, but I cannot believe most people would buy a supercar on the basis of not having to visit the garage for fuel as often.

I just laughed very hard when I saw you post that.

You are so wrapped up in your Alpina sooty world I think the rose tinted glasses may be super glued to your head.

M

I find it perfectly feasible that someone looking for a fast, transcontinental, GT type car would go for something that offers a greater tank range over a petrol counterpart.
Clearly, you just have limited imagination.
Going by the fact you say you "laughed very hard", you're clearly easily pleased.
You actually laughed out loud?
Sorry, 'LOL'd'?
Seriously?
You're not 'right'.

I find it feasable aswell.

I'm guessing thats why people buy diesel A8s, 7 series and S-class'. They can probably afford to buy the petrol one and run it but get annoyed having to stop and fill it up every time they use it

Matt said:
I find it feasable aswell.

I'm guessing thats why people buy diesel A8s, 7 series and S-class'. They can probably afford to buy the petrol one and run it but get annoyed having to stop and fill it up every time they use it

Yes but surely a limo barge is a very different proposition to a super car is it not?
I currently have an E class diesel but if I wanted to replace it with an E class with exceptional performance then I would replace it with a petrol version not a diesel version.

Perhaps the diesel engine is just not advanced enough at the moment and the coming years will see it compete for performance with petrol powered cars. I don't see it, but I suppose it could happen.
But today we are not in that situation, like for like the petrol powered plant offers superior performance ot a diesel powered one. If you are buying a high performance vehicle then it stands to reason that performance is your number one requirement and you will buy a petrol vehicle.

M

bowfer said:
I find it perfectly feasible that someone looking for a fast, transcontinental, GT type car would go for something that offers a greater tank range over a petrol counterpart.
Clearly, you just have limited imagination.
Going by the fact you say you "laughed very hard", you're clearly easily pleased.
You actually laughed out loud?
Sorry, 'LOL'd'?
Seriously?
You're not 'right'.

"Clearly, you just have limited imagination" Bowfer, that must be a fact because you stated it and I can see you are never wrong.

"You're not 'right'" Again, I am leaving now to see my Doctor now as I must be in need of urgent attention because Bowfer has implied that.

I can see the boys over at Alpina forum are really going to value your input.

Do me a favour now you have the personal insults out of the way, please go and ruin someone elses thread as I (and others it seems) quite like the original topic.

Goodbye.

M

Moisty said:
Do me a favour now you have the personal insults out of the way,

Would you like a spoonful of sugar with your own medicine?

Moisty said:
If you are buying a high performance vehicle then it stands to reason that performance is your number one requirement and you will buy a petrol vehicle.
M

So, in your book, 719lb ft torque and 500bhp doesn't qualify as 'high performance'?

A/ It's got the performance
B/ I doubt it will sound like taxi
C/ It will give greater economy and tank range

Economy won't be their no.1 priority, but I bet they'll take it as a side benefit, or they may like the idea of being able to do more miles between filling up.
A 'cake and eat it' scenario, if ever there was one.

Moisty said:
Yes but surely a limo barge is a very different proposition to a super car is it not?
I currently have an E class diesel but if I wanted to replace it with an E class with exceptional performance then I would replace it with a petrol version not a diesel version.

Perhaps the diesel engine is just not advanced enough at the moment and the coming years will see it compete for performance with petrol powered cars. I don't see it, but I suppose it could happen.
But today we are not in that situation, like for like the petrol powered plant offers superior performance ot a diesel powered one. If you are buying a high performance vehicle then it stands to reason that performance is your number one requirement and you will buy a petrol vehicle.

M

Yep fair point but in this case I suspect the diesel is going to be the one with the superior performance over the petrol R8

Esp. when you look at the possibilty of new laws reducing permitted CO2 outputs to below what certain petrol engines can achieve.

No I'm not saying that you are, if you look at the link you kindly provided
it says the term supercar is highly subjective especially amongst enthusiasts as I said its a matter of opinion.