R8 Diesel...

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
Audi R8
Diesel power for Audi R8 supercar

Sensational diesel powered R8 to be revealed at the Detroit Motor Show!

04th January 2008
[URL="http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_473/car_photo_236727_7.jpg"][/URL]

It was meant to be the supercar secret of the show, but news of Audi’s diesel powered R8 V12 TDI has leaked.

The oil-burning performance model will be powered by a mighty V12 diesel engine and will be the star attraction of the Audi stand. While it will officially be called a concept the model is already tipped for production.

Following in the tracks of the diesel powered R10 Le Mans racer, the R8 V12 TDI produces 500bhp and a massive 1,000Nm of torque. Rumour has it that the 0-62mph sprint will take only 4.2 seconds, while expected fuel economy of 28mpg is unheard of in this class.

However, unlike its petrol powered sibling the diesel model won’t have any luggage space due to its larger engine.

Expect more details when the new car is revealed in Detroit on 13 January.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214614/audi_r8.html

As much as I love petrol and diesel cars, I don't think a supercar should be derved powered. Spoils it. But interesting nevertheless.

kettle said:
i would like to know what it sounds like?
At a guess, a very large bag of spanners being shaken very hard.

I'd be interested in what it sounds like too... I imagine something will have been done to make it sound tastier than the average diesel. The R10 TDI itself sounds pretty good (imho) so I guess something similar to that, but maybe a little less 'racey'. Surely it has to sound pretty nice as the marketing folks have got a big enough hill to climb...

0-60 time is good, but what I'd be really interested in is how all that torque gets you from 30-70 or 70-100...

Regards,

Rob

If a 6 cylinder Diesel sounds pretty good a V12 should sound pretty awesome (for a diesel)

And it will be faster than the measly 4 litre it has now!

Don't forget about the Cheeky Remap!!

Fantastic, mind I bet it gets through tyres like a motorbike 3000 miles if you are lucky with all that torque.

Would probably sound really nice, the BMW 335d has an awesome gurgling engine noise...

Those tail pipes will not some cleaning with all those sooty deposits too. ;)

motorbikez said:
Fantastic, mind I bet it gets through tyres like a motorbike 3000 miles if you are lucky with all that torque.

Since the R8 already shares technology with the Veyron, it's likely to also have the electroncially limited torque/power below a certain rpm/speed in 1st/2nd/3rd which helps save the tyres/engine/clutch from ripping itself apart.

Teejay said:
Since the R8 already shares technology with the Veyron, it's likely to also have the electroncially limited torque/power below a certain rpm/speed in 1st/2nd/3rd which helps save the tyres/engine/clutch from ripping itself apart.

I'm a bit sceptical of the reasons they fit these 'limiters'.
TBH, I think it's a disguised way of making sure incompetent drivers don't kill themselves, or others.
They daren't say that though, because it would be admitting they don't trust the buyer to have any driving skill.
So they claim it's to protect the transmission/tyres, and Mr. Mid-life-crisis-buyer feels better about himself.
I mean, do you really believe they can't build a transmission strong enough to cope?
I don't, which is why I think it's more an anti-litigation thing.

motorbikez said:

Don't burn the tyres, they last quite a bit longer in the motorcycles as well ;)

bowfer said:
I'm a bit sceptical of the reasons they fit these 'limiters'.
TBH, I think it's a disguised way of making sure incompetent drivers don't kill themselves, or others.
They daren't say that though, because it would be admitting they don't trust the buyer to have any driving skill.
So they claim it's to protect the transmission/tyres, and Mr. Mid-life-crisis-buyer feels better about himself.
I mean, do you really believe they can't build a transmission strong enough to cope?
I don't, which is why I think it's more an anti-litigation thing.

3 "racing starts" in an Enzo means you need a new clutch. If Ferrari can't do it with an infinite budget, why would Audi be able to with a fixed price range?

Agree on the marketing perspective though. Just like when the TT was introduced as a drivers car, too many office idiots and mid-life-crisis fools bought them and wrote them off, so Audi were forced to ruin the looks of the Mk1 TT and fit that damned ugly rear spoiler to water down the handling. With a real driver at the wheel it shouldn't have needed it.

Hey folks,

The Audi press office released this image to us today...

I think it's fair to say that besides the R10 TDI; Diesel has never looked so fast!

Regards,

Rob.

r8diesel.jpg

That looks beastly! The front end looks like it's literally going to claw you in!

It looks much better... wow... just wow

I think it looks even meaner than the petrol. It really is the 'darker' big brother!!!

The only thing I'm against is that silly leaf catcher in the roof. I know it's unlikely to be parked outside rather than garaged, but when parked anywhere but indoors that is gonna collect crap that falls in it!!