R32 ARB for S3

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

Just wondering if someone that's fitted the R32 ARBs can confirm which other parts other than the bars are required and the part numbers if known.

I'm trying to organise a group buy of some kind, but want to make sure we get all the parts we would need.

I believe you need the R32 drop links and Bushes only, but trying to find the part numbers was more than a little tedious so I thought I'd ask, I did find the part numbers for the ARBs however, below for reference.

Cheers,

Ben.

R32 Front: 1J0 411 305 AF Stabilizer Yellow 23MM
R32 Rear: 1J0 511 409 K Stabilizer 19MM

i just changed the rear arb and bushes left the drop links ... the front part numer 1J0 411 305 AF - 23mm Arb

on some of the older threads on here and other forums it says it's a bad Idea not to replace the drop links as they are stronger on the R32 to allow for the bigger bar. Just looking for as much info as possible as if I'm going to get it done I'm going for everything whilst I'm at it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

If no one finds them I'll have another look on ETKA and give VAGparts a ring later.

Doing a search with ATP it would appear that the droplinks are the same.

Left hand droplink.
droplink4rs.jpg

am i right in thinking that whatever would be changed on an S3 it should be the same and nomore on a a3 tq? any1 tried this or know?

Guys, Hopefully this link will help.
I was interested in this mod as my rear ARB bushes are on the road out. I managed to get some good info but as yet not done anything about it.

web page

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've been thinking about the Neuspeed ARB's for a while, what sort of cost are we looking at for everything needed for the R32 Arb's?

What else are you getting done at the same time?

How much for the Neuspeed kit then? Sounds very interesting =P

[ QUOTE ]
How much for the Neuspeed kit then? Sounds very interesting =P

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, these prices are about 8/9 months old but...

Front - 22mm £145
Rear - 19mm £135

What sort of prices are we looking at for the R32 ones? I was thinking of one of each (see other thread).

I'd be very interested in these.
Are they something I could change myself?

off the top of my head the R32 ones are about 70-80 quid each bushes are 2 quid each i think

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!

I've now officially got the hump!

I've just had a long conversation with one of the overly helpful chaps at VAGparts about the fact we all want R32 ARBs, they can't supply them anymore without a correct R32 Vehicle number as VW have put a restriction on order - wonder why... could it be because we've bought them all. They also think this will be permenant!

He did say VAGparts have spoken to Neuspeed about being slightly more realistic regarding prices etc, they said though and so they have been trying to look into having some R32 replicas made.

Not sure where we go from here boys, I'm guessing unless we can each get hold or a mate with an R32 we going to have to spend the money on the Neuspeed ones!

they dont say that the buyer can order more than 1 set of ARB tho do they, haha!

I thought I'd got it all worked out! But now I seem to have more questions than ever before! And it also looks to be getting more and more expensive! (again!)

nope, this is a directive from VW HQ , so all orders will have the same problem, no VIN from a vaild R32 no order! the guys at VAGparts seemed pretty certain about this and I have no reason to doubt what they were saying. If you found a dealer that had some in there stock the case might be different, but everyone seems to also be saying there is no stock anywhere!

ah good job my mates got a R32 then looks like I owe him a few beers. lol

******... that sucks. Can the demand REALLY be that big that VW have done this?

Probably has alot to do with the legal side of things.

I would say that VW are worried that if the ARBs lead to any handling issues or accidents, they don't want to be held responsible.

does anyone know a manufacturing/engineering company that could make some highly polished ones to the same kinda speck, im sure if there are a few of us wantin these ,theyd be worth doing, surely??? anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know a manufacturing/engineering company that could make some highly polished ones to the same kinda speck, im sure if there are a few of us wantin these ,theyd be worth doing, surely??? anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going for the bling route Rich? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

it's a good idea, and what VAGparts told me they were looking into as well, does anyone know any good fabricators? then we just need to buy the 22mm neuspeed bar and the 19mm neuspeed bar and copy them!

dont think id trust a copy, its alright copying the shape but there`s more involved than that im just going tto scank a R32 one I have a cunning plan.

so enlightne us with your cunning plan.....

there is a clue earlier in this thread so im sorted, but why not just find a R32 in a car park take down the reg and chasis number (isn`t it in the windscreen) then go to VW and give them the details syaing you need one as you bottomed out your car and damaged the one on it and hey presto ....................................... or is there a catch with this ??

[ QUOTE ]
so enlightne us with your cunning plan.....

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on how much checking they do. But its really not difficult to get an R32 vin if theres one near you. You can see it through the little vin window in the windscreen.

EDIT:

lol, beaten to it...

well the thing is there's loads of us that want them, and they'll only give out one set per vin. The other problem is I think I'd rather ask the owner if I was going to go down that route. The guy at VAGparts said he's always on the lookout for R32s as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I would also say we could get ARBs made that would be more than up to the job if we could find somewhere, it's only a bit of pipe that's bent with the ends flattened at the end of the day!

yeah very true, anyone got a good diagram or pictures?? I know a fabricating company which make up our big stuff ie built up alu. letters etc.. they might do it??

Alternately, you could just spend the extra and buy the Neuspeed ARBs that are in fact better suited to an S3 anyway.
The R32 front ARB is slightly too large in my view, and will still give understeer - exactly what most want to reduce.

OK...it costs a little more...but they are proven to work, the quality is also proven...and they are better suited to the S3 without the additional weight of the R32s V6 high up and forward of the driveline.

Why spend £300 inc fitting to get an improvement but still have understeer when for the sake of £200 more you can virtually eliminate understeer?
Seems a little odd to me...
Only my view...

I think getting them fabricated is going to give mixed results. Surely the quality of materials/alu used for the fabrication will dictate how well the it responds to twisting - and give varied results - some tighter than others even of the same thickness.

Totally with Ess_Three - get a proven solution - I will go down the Neuspeed route when I eventually secure the S3 of my dreams.

L

Hi,

I have been thinking about a rear ARB for my A3 TDI quattro sport and figured that an R32 one was the way to go - it would seem not however!

I had a neuspeed 25mm bar on the back of my golf for ages, and was always very happy with it, so I would be happy to go down that route again. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to get the neuspeed stuff from?

Also is it worth doing the frnt as well? I never needed it on the golf, but the A3 is a different kettle of fish.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers
Mark