R TECH STAGE 2+ Helix organic or sachs clutch ?

Helix organic / luk dmf fitted today at aks in bedford..
Taking it steady for a couple of hundred miles this week to bed her in..
Doesnt feel much different from oem.. a little heavier if i was sitting with the clutch pedal down but not by a huge amount..

Be interested to see how you get on, pretty much exactly what I'll be fitting. Parts from aks too.

How long the run in period?

Reactions: Hookmonster
Doesnt feel much different from oem.. a little heavier if i was sitting with the clutch pedal down but not by a huge amount..

I take it you are pleased with the service from AKS ? I am there next Friday .

i have just gone for the exact same setup from aks and agree totally with you, slightly more heavy but defianetly a lot better. i had the exact same problem with my standard clutch going to stage 2+ at R tech and the clutch give up with the torque, got my car booked back in with niki for august :tongueclosed:

Michael.. theres a lovely field opposite you can walk around for 5 hours... lol luckily it was sunny today.. no problems.

Thedyson79... were on the same path mate.. mines back at r tech next week.. im going to try and put 100 miles bedding in... lots of driving round town...

AKS are superb, great service and knowledge second to none.

Looking forward to the walk lol , great to hear they are good guys .

Was this a secret under the counter price or something?

I would be interested in finding out how much too as I'm planning on going Revo Stage 2+ soon, n slipping is already evident with the stage 1. Only thing that is slightly perturbing me with this setup is @S3Alex comment about organic clutches not liking too much abuse.

I don't hoon around constantly, but I do possibly plan on doing more track days etc, so if organics can be fragile I might take another route.

Was this a secret under the counter price or something?

I would be interested in finding out how much too as I'm planning on going Revo Stage 2+ soon, n slipping is already evident with the stage 1. Only thing that is slightly perturbing me with this setup is @S3Alex comment about organic clutches not liking too much abuse.

I don't hoon around constantly, but I do possibly plan on doing more track days etc, so if organics can be fragile I might take another route.

Simply worth checking what you're getting.

Organics can be a little fragile and require bedding in,but are very road and user friendly overall.
The Sachs served me well until 440lbs.

Paddle clutches generally have higher torque limits,but tend to be like a switch,i.e. in or out,and can be quite "grabby" if you try to slip them.
Good for track use.

The best of both worlds is a full face carbon-metallic clutch like the Spec Stg3+
Easy to use,and user friendly,but has massive torque handling,and doesn't require bedding in.

Downside....not cheap.

Reactions: thedyson79
Ive been looking at the Spec page (http://www.specclutch.com/products) trying to compare the genetic make up between the Stg 2+ and the Stg3+ but other than the power/torque differences does anyone know what would the differences between the two be, in regards to pedal feel/driveability?

Car at R tech today.. remapped for full custom stage 2+ with new helix organic clutch fitted at Aks.
370bhp 400ld ft torque on dyno..
Nikki was very confident it wouldnt even think of slipping... it didnt..

Reactions: kash_v, thedyson79 and HHS3
Ive been looking at the Spec page (http://www.specclutch.com/products) trying to compare the genetic make up between the Stg 2+ and the Stg3+ but other than the power/torque differences does anyone know what would the differences between the two be, in regards to pedal feel/driveability?
According to spec no difference in feel iys just a different material on the clutch face hence the price diff

Smirky's right, the only difference between the two apart from the torque rating is that the Spec 2+ clutch is Carbon semi-metallic on one side and Kevlar on the other, whereas the Spec 3+ clutch is Carbon semi-metallic on both sides. You'll want to go for a Steel SMF as well which is what I'll be going for with the Spec 2+.

Due to the Spec 2+ being part Kevlar, I asked Spec what was it like on drag/launches as I know Organic clutches can't hack them which pretty much makes it useless to me. I also questioned them on bedding as well.

Their response was:

Technically, all but stage 5 need bedding (and all clutches in the industry). The Spec 3+ would require less than the Spec 2+. Both are fantastic on launches.

Smirky's right, the only difference between the two apart from the torque rating is that the Spec 2+ clutch is Carbon semi-metallic on one side and Kevlar on the other, whereas the Spec 3+ clutch is Carbon semi-metallic on both sides. You'll want to go for a Steel SMF as well which is what I'll be going for with the Spec 2+.

Due to the Spec 2+ being part Kevlar, I asked Spec what was it like on drag/launches as I know Organic clutches can't hack them which pretty much makes it useless to me. I also questioned them on bedding as well.

Their response was:

Technically, all but stage 5 need bedding (and all clutches in the industry). The Spec 3+ would require less than the Spec 2+. Both are fantastic on launches.

I'd agree.....I actually didn't bed the 3+ at all,it was good from the start.

I also chose the steel flywheel for durability.

@Smirky @S3Alex You guys ever miss/struggle a gear over 4500rpm with the spec setup?

Only if my feet get tangled up....

Seriously though,no,it's never been an issue,and I think mine was the first to be used on an S3 here.

Reactions: kash_v
That's good to hear that the Spec Clutches & SMF don't suffer from the engaging/disengaging problem at higher revs like the Loba/Sachs SMF does. The Spec's obviously cost a little or a lot more depending on which one you go for, but it sounds like you really do get your moneys worth as they do the job to a high standard, without any faults/cautions nor have I seen any negative feedback on them.

Reactions: S3Alex
I didn't bother bedding mine in either (3+) and it's been fine for over 4k miles ,
Also I have had no issues with changing gears at high or low rpm,
Easy round town too handy for my commute ,

Reactions: kash_v and S3Alex
Car at R tech today.. remapped for full custom stage 2+ with new helix organic clutch fitted at Aks.
370bhp 400ld ft torque on dyno..
Nikki was very confident it wouldnt even think of slipping... it didnt..

What's your full set up mate ?

thanks @Smirky & @HHS3 the shopping list is formulating quite nicely :)

Will make a note of the steel SMF!

Where are people getting the parts from/fitted? I think someone mentioned AMD near lakeside before... :s

thanks @Smirky & @HHS3 the shopping list is formulating quite nicely :)

Will make a note of the steel SMF!

Where are people getting the parts from/fitted? I think someone mentioned AMD near lakeside before... :s

That'd be me and smirky.

Mine was the first here to bring Spec to the table so to speak.....I chose a Spec Stg3+ with steel SMF around 4yrs ago,and had covered over 40k miles with that on around 500bhp/450+lbs.

I got the details etc from Spec,and AMDTuning sourced it,shipped it and fitted.

Hard to believe it's lasted so long or so well....

No problems from initial fitting until now,when it's finally worn enough to slip.

Edit......it's definitely 4 years!....almost fit and forget.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/time-for-a-build-thread-big-turbo.106134/#post-1547233

Last edited:
Reactions: Simply D
Cheers dude, I don't plan on going anywhere near the crazy power figures as you, that's why I'm thinking the stage 2+ should be enough.

Thankfully AMD is only an hour or so away, unlike the missssssssssion I'm contemplating to BCS for the zaust

Reactions: S3Alex
Cheers dude, I don't plan on going anywhere near the crazy power figures as you, that's why I'm thinking the stage 2+ should be enough.

Thankfully AMD is only an hour or so away, unlike the missssssssssion I'm contemplating to BCS for the zaust

Similar for me......BCS did an amazing job on the exhaust for mine,so that was definitely a journey that was worth every penny.
My problem now is that aside from AMDTuning being able to do all of the mechanical bits,the other things,like exhaust,inlets and pretty much anything on the mapping side,comes from all over the place.

I've heard only good things re BCS which is why I'm entertaining the idea of the journey.

seems T'North is awash with motoring solutions...grrrr